Matera Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Matera

• gmg61's Profile Photo

Ristorante San Pietro Barisano: Atmosphere but no taste

by gmg61 Written May 8, 2012

Southern Italian gastronomy is distinctive for its different flavors, frequently mixing together vegetables, spices, meat and past to build a completely new taste.
    Taste is exactly what this restaurant lacks.
    It's really nice, hosted into a "sasso", an old house digged into the soft rock. Nice furniture, nice lights, good atmosphere.
    But the food is much more like an hospital meal than a restaurant: almost completely tasteless, without the typical mark of the southern italian cuisine.
    Service is attentive, rather too attentive, since the waiters are too often too close to you.
    If the cooked food was tasteless, cheese and dried meats we had as appetizers were good.
    We paid 45 Euro (two persons)

Cantina della Bruna: The best food I got in Matera

by xaver Updated Apr 4, 2011

Tagliolini

This restaurant was reccomended to me by the owner of the B&B where I stayed at.I was a bit diffident as usually hotel owners reccomend restaurants thet give them something in return but it was the first evening, I was tired for the trip and I decided to try it out.
    It was really full of tourists and the staff was not so welcoming at the beginning, but, I found out later, this is just the normal habit, people here just don't try to seduce you with smiles, they let their work talk for them.Infact I really had a great dinner, the best in my trip in this city.
    First I had an apetizer with local cheese, vegetables and salame, then some egg made tagliolini that were simply eccellent and to finish I had to try their grilled lamb(this the lambs land) that was simply fabolous.

Favorite Dish: The tagliolini with bacon and tomato and mushrooms and the lamb were really superb.I would not reccomen the "vino della casa" which is wine served in a wine pot, that wasn't that good, better pay some euros more and order a good bottle of Agugliano(the wine made in this area).
    All in all for the meal I mentioned 1 liter of wine and 1 of water I paid 25 euros.

• Cantina della Bruna: What a Wonderful Experience

by baruchp Written Jan 31, 2009

We had the unique experience of visiting Matera in the Off-Season (week before Christmas). there were three of us, and one other table. we stayed last and towards the end of the evening Michael the Chef and Proprietor of the cantina came to talk to us.
    We found him and his wife to be amazingly hospitable and what food!
    The story of the restaurant is almost as fascinating as the food is wonderful: Michael found the Sasi location basically in ruins and spent 2 years molding it into the restaurant it is. The art on the wall panels is the work of Ortega a renown Spanish artist who has fallen in love with Matera.
    The restaurant is named for the patron saint of Matera (the Madonna della Bruna).
    the food is clearly a wonderful manifestation of Basilicata cuisine, Meat is mostly lamb/mutton and there is use of vegetables and beans of the region.

Favorite Dish: Fava Beans with Chicory.
    "Cutturidd'" (Lamb in terracotta with Potatos and Vegetables).
    The Spumone Ice Cream was fabulous.

• iconechinoise's Profile Photo

le botteghe: dinner in matera

by iconechinoise Written Jun 15, 2007

this restaurant is located in a sasso which is a typical house of matera. They cook an amazing pasta with sweet dry pepper and grilled bread which is not spicy at all. very good restaurant

Favorite Dish: pasta with dry pepper and bread

• iconechinoise's Profile Photo

antica trattoria lucana 1900: Da gigi

by iconechinoise Written Jun 15, 2007

A really nice staff and traditional (and rich) italian food. Here they don't joke with food and cooking. Dishes are excellent but sometimes too copious and you must finish your plate or you will hurt the staff. A lot of italian families meet there for lunch so the atmosphere is here too. Prefer dinner too lunch because leave the table is an eliminating heat for the visits under the sun in the afternoon.... but you won't regret.

Favorite Dish: the antipasti, very copious but so tasty

Il boccone del Musicista: One of the worst food I ever ate

by xaver Written May 23, 2007

restaurant

I thought this was a typically restaurant for tourists as it was in the middle of an important square but, as it was mondey and most of restaurants were closed, I tried to go.
    First difference betwen the other restaurants I visited here was the very smiling welcome of the owner which surprised me as it was the first time it happened in Matera(read the other restaurant tips).
    Anyway I asked for some cheese and I got a mozzarella i could buy in the cheapest discount and a pasta dish which was simply awful.
    As if it was not enough, this has been the most expensive place where I have been in the town: 20 euro totally wasted.

Osteria al falco Grillaio: A nice place

by xaver Written May 23, 2007

osteria

A nice pizza and restaurant place.It was not eccelent but the food was fresh and nicely cooked.
    I took an appetizer made by local chees vegetables salame and ham and an egg made pasta called cavetelli which is typical of this area.
    This restaurant was really cheap, I paid 15 euros.

Favorite Dish: The appetizer was good but the grilled vegetables in it were simply great.

• Maidstoneman's Profile Photo

Terraza dell`Annunziata: Lovely views - great food

by Maidstoneman Written Sep 4, 2005

at night. The round windows at the top.

This is the cafe on the roof of the former monastery on the main square in Matera.

You would think it would be very expensive, but no. Lots of great local dishes and Ice Creams to die for, all in an unusual setting.

• Maidstoneman's Profile Photo

Oi Mari: Pizza perfection

by Maidstoneman Written Sep 4, 2005

This is a resturant in Via Fiorentini in the Sassi area. There are three or four restaurants but this has the largest open air eating area covered with parasols. Nice checked tablecloths.

Get there early as it gets full with locals very quickly.

They do great pizzas!

• lavendare69's Profile Photo

Cantina di Lucio: Beware of the final bill!

by lavendare69 Written Aug 25, 2005

My hubby and I dined at the Cantina di Lucio which
    had a big menu displayedoutside, prices of most dishes were around 4 and 5
    euros each with a few at 7euros. For starters we each ordered what was written on the menu as - 'melanzane e
    pepperone ripieni' at 5euros but the lady of the house suggested that one of us
    takes something different so that we can sample more dishes and she
    suggested a parmigiana 7 euros. When the starters arrived, there were two
    portions of the melanzane and peperoni instead of one and a tiny portion
    of parmigiana was served. We told the lady of the house that we ordered
    only one serving of the melanzane and pepperoni and she said she would not count
    the extra plate in the bill. We also ordered a supposedly cheap
    first course plate of pasta at 4euros but what arrived was a yummy but v tiny
    bowl of pasta. And for seconds, the supposedly kind lady of the house suggested
    a plate of grilled meat for my husband and decided to charge us 18euros for it
    which was really incrediibly expensive. When the bill arrived, we realised they
    were going to charge us 10euros for the starter instead of 5euros and the lady
    of the house insisted that as written on the menu, ''melanzana e pepperoni
    5euros'' means one melanzana and one pepperoni added up equals 10euros which was
    really an incredible load of bull! we were furious and insisted that it was not
    right. At the end of the argument with those big cheats, we got back 5euros but
    swore never to go there again. When we got back to
    our hotel, we complained to the receptionist who told us that two previous
    guests had the same complaints. So I would like to warn all who are planning to
    visit that area to avoid at all costs the Cantina di Lucio.All they want is to get as much money from the innocent tourists whom they think will pass by only once.

Instant Answers: Matera

Comments

Matera Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Matera restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Matera sightseeing.