Amalfi Restaurants

by leics

Most Recent Restaurants in Amalfi

• Eolo

by lewatts Written Jun 19, 2007

I had read about Eolo on VT, so we decided to try it. We weren't expecting it to be quite as formal, but fortunately we were dressed appropriately. The food and the view were amazing. If you have a reservation, you can sit on the terrace overlooking the magnificent view of the Amalfi coast. We didn't have a reservation, but were still able to see with view.

Favorite Dish: I had a ricotta ravioli, and my companions had risotto scampi and linguini with red snapper; all were delicious and complete with a proud waitstaff who removed the silver dome lids with a "voila" style.

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo

Ristorante Pizzeria Il Mulino: Good seafood at non-tourist prices

by BorneoGrrl Updated Jan 25, 2007

Spicy baby octopus dish

Eating in South Italy can be pretty expensive, especially for foreigners, so what better way to save a few euros than to eat where the locals eat. I went into a seafood market to ask where I can find a good place to eat and they recommended Ristorante Pizzeria Il Mulino (even gave me the business card!!). Not surprisingly, they probably supplied the seafood to the restaurant

Anyway, back to the restaurant. The restaurant itself is about 200m from the town square and quite a walk uphill, which helps with building a healthy appetite. Since it's a little further than the town center, the prices are not as high but the food is good. It has two floors and furnished with simple tables & chairs.

Service was also good & friendly as this is a family run business

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the seafood spaghetti which cost less than 10 €. There was also a spicy baby octopus dish and of course, fried calamari & shrimps

• Singles

• longsanborn's Profile Photo

Ristorante Pizzeria "Il Mulino": Must Try the Fresh Seafood!

by longsanborn Updated Jan 6, 2007

Outside the restaurant

When we reached Amalfi by mid-day, we were already hungry. We didn't want to eat in the touristic restaurants around the main square. We wanted to try a restaurant where the locals go to. My friend asked someone in a local mini-market, and we were recommended to go to Ristorante Pizzeria "Il Mulino".

We found out that the restaurant was a bit far from the Piazza Duomo and we had to walk for about 10 minutes upwards towards the hills, to the back, to the residential area. We had to ask directions a couple of times.

The front of the restaurant is really simple. It is located near lots of residential houses. When we walked in, there was only one table of italian family. We guessed we were early since it was not siesta time yet.

Favorite Dish: I like all the food dishes in this restaurant. The seafood was fresh, and the dishes was delicious. We had fried calamari and prawns, and grilled vegetables as starters, and spaghetti frutti de mare (seafood spaghetti) as the main meal.

The staff is warm and friendly. The service is quick. The prices are very reasonable, as it is away from the tourist area; for example, the seafood spaghetti cost less than Euro 10.

If you want an inexpensive, delicious and fresh seafood meal in Amalfi, do try this restaurant.

• sikorka's Profile Photo

Tutto dal mare!!! Everything from the sea!!!

by sikorka Updated Aug 12, 2006

Local hotels and restaurants

If it happens that you will stop at Marina del Cantone, it does not really matter which local restaurant you will choose. All of them (let say 5 in total:) serve fresh fish and frutti di mare.

You can start with
    - Zuppa di Cozze (Mussel Soup)

For the first dish I really enjoyed Risotto alla Pescatora, but you can take as well Spaghetti con Frutti di Mare (both really tasty)

If you have already space for the second dish just go for a fish (delivered every evening by fishermen)
    ENJOY!

• Beaches

• La Galea Rosticceria: Good Take-Away / Self-Service at Great Prices

by Jetgirly Written Jun 4, 2006

La Galea is just past the clock-tower.

La Galea Rosticceria is located on Via Lorenzo d'Amalfi in the heart of the town. It is a no-frills, self-service cafeteria style restaurant that can pack up your food for take-away or provide disposible cutlery for dining at one of their tables. The atmosphere is nothing to write home about, but they serve good food at great prices (particularly considering prices at neighbouring restaurants).

Upon entering you will notice a very large display case filled with their daily offerings. They usually have a couple of different types of pizza and then a mixture of appetizers and main-dishes for people wanting a more substantial meal. You're not going to do your heart any favours by ordering here, as their specialities include calzones, deep-fried cheese balls and stuffed zucchini flowers (which are, unsurprisingly, stuffed with cheese and deep-fried). When I visited, I chose the eggplant parmesan and it was very good. You could get the same things at three times the price at a North American restaurant. My food and bottle of water came to EUR 6.50.

This is a great place to eat when your wallet is feeling a bit stretched. Amalfi can be expensive and you get the feeling you're being exploited in some restaurants... but not at La Galea!

• Trattoria al Teatro: Don't Bother

by Jetgirly Written Apr 26, 2006

Trattoria al Teatro was a slightly-below-average dining experience for me. Clearly designed for tourists (the menu is in four languages), the food is neither authentic nor particularly good. Everything has been altered to appeal to the blandest international palates.

I started with a minestrone soup- boring. Then I chose the only available vegetarian pasta, which was in spicy tomato sauce. Excessive spice covered the lack of flavours resulting from poor-quality ingredients.

Service was slow and not very friendly. My order was accurate but the table beside me received several incorrect dishes. The atmosphere is boring- too bright and not enough decorations.

If you can, try to find somewhere else to eat in Amalfi.

• Pizzeria da Maria: Top-Rated Pizza

by Jetgirly Written Apr 26, 2006

Pizzeria da Maria is listed in the Eyewitness series of guidebooks as one of the ten best pizzerias on the Amalfi Coast. In addition to a selection of pizzas, da Maria also serves a wide variety of seafood dishes, and a few pasta dishes. There are few vegetarian selections.

If you are eating pizza, the cover charge seems to be EUR 1.50, whereas those opting for seafood pay EUR 3.00 and get an order of garlic bread as well. I ordered an off-menu vegetarian pizza that was very good. Service was very quick and the restaurant was busy all night, every night.

Pizzeria da Maria is one of the best affordable restaurants in Amalfi. Although it is not spectacular, the food is above-average and prices are reasonable. Better than most restaurants in touristy areas. English is spoken.

• jbel2879's Profile Photo

Pesce d'Oro: Golden Fishies

by jbel2879 Written Jun 28, 2004

Very family-oriented place. The people are fabulous! It was a while ago, but what I remember peaches and wine, gorgeous desserts, fish caught that day out of the ocean.

Favorite Dish: Cartocio - pesce wrapped in parchment paper, cooked to seal the juices in.
    Peaches in red wine.
    Profiteroles.
    Gnocchi.

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Gelato Shop: Gelato

by Jmill42 Written Mar 16, 2004

I had my best gelato here in Amalfi, and you probably dont realize how strong of a statement that is because you have no clue as to the sheer tonnage of gelato I ate while in Italy. I don't remember the name of the place, but I can direct you there easily. It is located in the main square, right in front of the duomo. If you are standing with your back to the duomo and pointed left at a 45 degree angle, you are pointing to the gelato shop.

Stracciatella, Fragola, Nutella... I had them all!

Not together...

• kcochran111's Profile Photo

Lo Smeraldino: Yeah for Vongole!

by kcochran111 Updated May 20, 2003

Every restaurant we ate at in Amalfi served delicious fresh seafood (notice that frozen fish is noted with *surgelato on menus).

One favorite for atmosphere and food was "Lo Smeraldino" . The staff was courteous and the food and wine were delicious. Deck seating offers a view of the marina.

Favorite Dish: We started with saute' di vongole e cozze (clams & mussels) and had the risotto ai gamberi (prawn risotto) for our first course. After all that seafood, we couldn't imagine ordering a second! The house white complimented the meal perfectly.

• unravelau's Profile Photo

Amalfi Restaurant: A seafood restaurant right on the water at Amalfi.

by unravelau Updated Mar 3, 2003

What can I say?

It is a really large restaurant right on the water, in fact jutting into the Mediterranean next to the boat stop for cruises and the like. It was pretty special because it had continuous window all the way around and you could (I guess) stop in the middle of your meal and slide into the water for a swim too.

The food that I ate and the wine that I drank were marvelous and all up it was a pretty up market affair. We had about 6 courses and all bar the secondo and desert were primarily seafood -- crustaceans............... Everyone (except me) were in raptures over the food -- I don't eat oysters, shrimps (only small ones), lobster, calamari etc..........although I do enjoy fish. None-the-less I enjoyed my spaghetti bolognaise which was big enough for 2 meals for me anyway..............I wasn't worrying much after the first two wines......life is good.

Favorite Dish: Spaghetti Bolognaise. It was even better than any that I might have had in any other Italian Restaurant because of the trouble that they went to to serve it to me. Being a seafood restaurant they did not have anything on the menu that I could/would eat, and also being a set menu for the group that I travelled with, made it even more difficult. They overcame the difficulty by either whipping up a quick bolognese sauce on the spot or out of a pot that they had for their own variety and consumption. However they did it I was very grateful and ate like a horse...........it was delicious. Thank you for alerting me to the different names of the coastline Giuseppe, and yes I would like to claim fading memory for the error LOL........

• hquittner's Profile Photo

An Early Outside Lunch On the Shore

by hquittner Written May 23, 2014

There was a large choice of fish even though there were few customers at this time of year,

Favorite Dish: Fresh fish.

• Seniors

• myriam_c's Profile Photo

Bar Francese: Bar Francese

by myriam_c Updated Oct 24, 2005

Bar Francese

Bar Francese is a coffeehouse on the Piazza del Duomo, with full view on the Cathedral.
    Prices of drinks/food are in line with the view!

Favorite Dish: We just had a few drinks here.

• Luxury Travel

• Polly74's Profile Photo

La Bussola: Ristorante Hotel La Bussola

by Polly74 Written Sep 21, 2004

The bar

The restaurant is very nice, with a big terrace watching the sea.

Favorite Dish: Fish is well done....a lot of choice

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

various: Piazza dei Dogi - Pasta

by sandysmith Written Jul 21, 2003

tasty ;-))

Favorite Dish: A popular dish - and one wjhich i tried - was Gnocchi alla sorrentina - pasta dumplings in a shrimp and lemon sauce - simply delicious. and not too exopesive for Amalfi prices - about 6-7 euros.

Instant Answers: Amalfi

Comments

Amalfi Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Amalfi restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Amalfi sightseeing.