Naples Favorites

• View from our room, Castle d Ovo and Capri
    View from our room, Castle d Ovo and...
    by DoveRedRobin

Most Recent Favorites in Naples

• Naples - good or bad?

by DoveRedRobin Updated Jun 21, 2014
    View from our room, Castle d Ovo and Capri

Favorite thing: We had ten days in Naples, we stayed at The Royal Continental, right on the front, over looking Castle D Ovo. The hotel was OK for what we paid, about €150 per night for a room on the 9th floor. We arrived in Naples by train following 5 traumatic days in Rome.

Our taxi driver was very helpful and spoke fair English, but was rather pushy about booking him for trips. We were very pleased with our room, fantastic views of the castle but it was not until day four that we realised that the Isle of Capri and the Sorrento peninsula were so close. I supposed it was a heat haze that prevented us seeing these sights.

To eat we were presented with a number of ever so pushy restaurants on the Castle d Ovo peninsula. These were pricey and offered basic fish, with fish and a second helping of fish in a pile them high, get them in, take their money and get them out again attitude! The eateries on the front were no exception. It seems the tradition to charge a €2 or €3 cover charge, just for being there, some even charge an extra 15% service charge on top of that. Whilst I am not a 'chips with everything' type, if you order a dish of food, you do expect something to be served with it, like a veal cutlet on its own on a plate with a sauce does not look very appetising. We were not offered a salad or chips!

We did find some nice places to eat, one in particular just around the corner. See my review on La Cantina del Lazzari. We also had extremely good value in the city of Naples.

DRIVING - unless you have a very strong constitution don't drive or be driven in Naples. The road users are all mad!!! The taxi drivers see tourists as a way to line their pocket with over inflated prices. We were once offered a fare of €15 to go less than a mile, he refused to put the meter on so we got out much to his surprise and found another one who only charged €4.50.

All the drivers are absolutely MAD, both the car and taxi drivers and especially moped drivers, all who seem to be carrying passengers weave in and out of the other vehicles at such speed it is a real wonder to me that the entire roadway is not littered with bodies! I do wonder what they are likely to do with the few seconds that they save by carrying out these dangerous manoeuvres? My thought is that if the drivers of Naples obeyed the decent rules of the road, respected each other and showed a modicum of decency to the world, life in Naples would be so much nicer - they don't, not for one second! It is all about them closing down on the next driver and cutting off his passage. That is until the the Nepalese start to cross the road on foot! Now, the attitude is, 'how slow can I go, how many car drivers can I *** off'

Would I return to Naples? Not until I am forced to at gun point! I found it a rude, dirty and unpleasant place to be for most of the time. I did enjoy the visit to Herculaneum that we made from here, but here again, we had four attempts to get there, the first two because of storm damage the day before and the third because the hotel said it was definitely open, when it was not! We also enjoyed our visit to the Isle of Capri, we did the two hour boat trip around the island, which was great.

Fondest memory: Getting out of it on the trips that we made by hire car! Catching the train for our homeward journey!

• Museum Visits
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Seniors

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Naples that I saw in 1996

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Oct 5, 2012

Naples

Favorite thing: Naples (Napoli) is the capital of Campania and the third-largest municipality in Italy, after Rome and Milan.
    In 1995, the historic centre of Naples was listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, a United Nations programme which aims to catalogue and conserve sites of outstanding cultural or natural importance to the common heritage of mankind.
    The UNESCO evaluation committee described Naples' centre as being "of exceptional value", and went on to say that Naples' setting on the Bay of Naples "gives it an outstanding universal value which has had a profound influence".

I got a chance to visit Naples in August of 1996 with a short 3-hours excursion. Of cause I saw very little in this very interesting city and dream come back with longer stay and more detailed exploration.

You can watch my 4 min 19 sec Video Naples part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

• Architecture

• blusky's Profile Photo

Summer in Naples

by blusky Updated Jan 23, 2012

Favorite thing: Walking down the lungomare you'll see many people sunbathing and swimming, finding thei own place on the stones of the breakwater. There are also many steet vendors where you can buy some granita or ice cream.

• Photography

• Toxic trash burned in Naples and Caserta

by Barbarasara Written Jun 4, 2009

Favorite thing: Help us, tourists.
    Don’t come in Naples !
    Summer 2009 : All days and all nights Camorra BURNS TOXIC TRASH in country between Naples and Caserta.
    The air is unbreathable and food is poisoned.
    Our children die for cancer !
    If tourists don’t come in Naples, maybe somebody will make something.
    Help us…………. don’t come in Naples and Caserta……

www.laterradeifuochi.it

Fondest memory: Help us, tourists.
    Don’t come in Naples !
    The air is unbreathable and food is poisoned.
    Our children die for cancer !
    If tourists don’t come in Naples, maybe somebody will make something.
    Help us…………. don’t come in Naples and Caserta……

www.laterradeifuochi.it

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

Mafioso Alleys and Streets

by HispanicYob Written Oct 6, 2008
    International Intentions in Italy

Favorite thing: One thing that's good exercise to do is just to "get lost" and explore the tons of cluttered side streets that Naples offers. Naples is a city with a lot of slopes so it's best to take public transport if you don't care for this, especially during summer when it's boiling hot and muggy here. But take it from me, walking is much better and you can reach a lot of places that vehicles normally can't take you. A lot of Naples is very pedestrian friendly as well. Just be careful when crossing streets. The lights serve as accessories and cross with groups of people. From a hidden gem of a pizzeria to a trendy store with summer sales, you never know what you can find when walking about. One would expect members of the Italian mafia to come around the corner with their fancy suits and their Aviator shades with a cigar in their mouth! And who knows, I might have passed them and not known!

Fondest memory: That's one thing I miss about Naples was the stores and the people watching. I also miss the alleyways full of flags and laundry. My true image of Italy has been implanted in my mind after visiting Naples.

• Study Abroad
    • Singles

• best way to get around naples

by ra_flyer Written Aug 7, 2008

Favorite thing: hi guys, i am back from my trip in italy. just want to thank everyone for all your trip advice. we ended hiring a cab for 2 hours touring around naples. i wouldn't recommend it. the driver was nice, but he barely speaks english, so it was hard to communicate with him.

i would recommend driving or take a train or take the excursion tour if you only have 1 day in naples.

why would i recommend driving? well, because our cruise ship also made a stop in livorno and we rented a car there. we drove to florence and pisa. the driving wasn't bad at all. we got lost twice, but manage to find my way back :-)

anyway, driving in italy in my opinion is still easier than driving in downtown san francisco or LA during rush hour. we rented a very small car, it was a nissan micra. i really enjoyed driving through the tiny streets of florence, the car can maneuver very easily. i also like the scenic between livorno and florence, we saw a few wineries.

in pisa, we were able to park really close to the tower, again because it's such a small car and we can squeeze and parallel park in between cars. if you take the excursion tour bus or train, you have to park further away from the tower.

Bay of Naples

by filip007 Written May 21, 2008
    Sunset behind Ischia

Favorite thing: For me, the bay of Naples is a magical place. The deep blue of the sea, the islands of Ischia, Procida and Capri (of course...), all this set against the backdrop of Vesuve is unforgettable and makes the charm of Naples and surroundings. No wonder ancient Romans built villas and residences mainly in the bay of Naples.

One of the first to go there on vacation was Scipio Africanus (the one who vanquished Hannibal, so you could say the reward was well earned). Dictator Sulla came to this region in 79 BC to retire. And of course Julius Caesar, his rival Pompei (sorry, nothing to do with the town) and Ciceron.

And Vergilius, the poet. All roman emperors, Tiberius even ruled the known world from his villa on Capri. Nero appeared the first time as a musician on stage in Napoli. And it is also in this region that the roman culture got the most influenced by the greek one from former colonies.

Fondest memory: Watching the sun setting behind Ischia or Capri, from Naples or Sorrento peninsula is a sight that was here during the Romans and will remain, but is an unforgettable moment...

Lungomare - seafront stroll

by filip007 Written May 18, 2008
    Castel dell��Ovo and Vesuve

Favorite thing: A great way to spend the late afternoon or the evening, is to go from Piazza del Plebiscito (the square of the Royal Palace) to the sea and then by via N. Sauro and Via Partenope, going by the luxury hotels overlooking the bay of Naples and then continuing your walk up to Piazza della Republica.

You can come back the same way or go back through the Villa Comunale - a nice elongated park that runs along the seafront.

Great views of bay of Naples, Castel dell Uovo and Vesuve.

• Hiking and Walking

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Lighthouses

by grandmaR Written Apr 23, 2008

Faro di Napoli

Favorite thing: One of my interests is lighthouses, so I have these pictures from my day in Naples. As we were leaving the Port of Naples, I saw the lighthouse at the end of the breakwater.

This station at the end of the mile long Mole di San Vincenzo, the main breakwater for the harbor of Naples was established in the early 1900s, but this actual lighthouse was built after WWII. A taller tower was destroyed during the war. It was inactive for a time in the 70s because it was damaged by a storm, but has been reactivated. It is a striking red painted round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted red with white trim. The lantern dome is gray metallic. It does not appear that one can walk the mole. Site and tower closed. The statue in the first and third pictures of this lighthouse is of of San Gennaro.

Also as we drove down the Amalfi Drive, I saw a lighthouse which according to the signs on the fence was in a Zona Militare/Divento di accesso which I interpreted to mean - no trespassing.

I think this is the Castellammare di Stabia (photo 2) which is at the southeast corner of the Golfo di Napoli only three or four miles south of Pompeii. When I first saw it, I didn't have a chance to take a picture, so on the way back, I was keeping a lookout for it. The lighthouse is located on the Via Panoramica overlooking the town and harbor.

Fondest memory: When we got down to Amalfi, I took a picture (photo 4) of the aid to navigation at the end of the breakwater. I also took some pictures (photo 5) of the various towers where lookouts were posted to warn of attack by the Turks.

• Beaches
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Cruise

Churches

by filip007 Written Mar 16, 2008
    Church and football

Favorite thing: The churches are everywhere in Naples, demonstrating the everpresent importance of the church and religion. You will encounter them in squares, small streets, back alleys, crammed between two houses. While many are open, still more are closed, fenced or barred and being overtaken by weeds growing in the windows or the roof.

Or the wall and the door just serving as a practice target for another passion of Naples, football...

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Vesuvius

by toonsarah Written Nov 25, 2007

Vesuvius seen from near the Piazza del Plebiscito

Favorite thing: Everyone has heard about how the eruption of Vesuvius in AD 79 destroyed the town of Pompeii, but Vesuvius isn’t just a story from history – it’s a live volcano that broods over the city of Naples and the surrounding region today. You’ll see it from many parts of the city, especially down by the bay. It is the only volcano on the European mainland to have erupted within the last hundred years, and is still regarded as an active volcano although it is currently dormant. However, it has erupted many times since the famous destruction of Pompeii and Herculaneum, most recently in 1944, and is regarded as one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world because of the population of 3 million people who live close to it and its tendency towards explosive eruptions.

When you look carefully at the mountain, especially from the side by the sea (e.g. if passing on the Circumvesuvio train as we did several times) you can see that it is in fact a cone within a cone. The central cone is known as Gran Cono, and this is partially encircled by the steep rim of a caldera caused by the collapse of an earlier, and originally much higher structure called Monte Somma. The Gran Cono was produced during the eruption of 79. Its has been constantly changed by eruptions but is currently 1,281 m (4,202 ft).

I love mountains generally but there was something a little disconcerting looking up at this brooding presence and remembering just what power is locked inside it. I found myself wondering if the people of Naples ever think about the time-bomb waiting to explode just a few miles from their homes, or if they’re so used to it that they don’t give it a second thought as they go about their lives. Maybe though it is precisely this life lived on the edge that gives these people their energy and passion?

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

The streets of old Naples

by toonsarah Written Nov 25, 2007

Juggler near Santa Chiara, Naples

Fondest memory: More than any of the individual sights we saw, it will be the memory of the vibrant atmosphere on the streets of Naples that will remain with me. The Centro Storico on a Sunday morning is a people watcher’s dream! We shared our wanderings with Sunday church goers heading for a post-Mass coffee and gossip with friends; with local families browsing the Christmas decorations and nativity scenes in the Via San Gregorio Armeno; with smartly dressed dog-walkers and trendy students; with jugglers and street performers of all kinds. And of course with the inevitable scooters – weaving in and out of the pedestrians and occasional cars with consummate ease, never having to stop, rarely slowing (except to wave to a friend or shout a cheerful greeting), but always apparently in control, so that the vehicle seems almost an extension of themselves. When later I saw a young boy on a mini-scooter I realised that the Neapolitans must grow up riding these machines and it comes as naturally to them as walking does to me.

The Centro Storico is bisected east to west by two streets. The more northerly is the Via del Tribunali, and a block south of this runs the street known popularly Scappanapoli, which in the course of its 3 km length has five real names, none of which are used by locals. If you make this street the focus of your walk, with occasional detours down the various little lanes on either side, you’ll get a great flavour of Neapolitan street life, as we did.

• Redang's Profile Photo

- www.enit.it/comuniris.asp?Lang=ES&ID=440&Luogo=NAPOLI®ione=CAMPANIA

- E mail: info@inaples.it

• Neapolitan people

by snakebrain Written Oct 19, 2007

Favorite thing: Neapolitan people are warm, friendly and welcoming.

Especially the one's who are trying to rob you.

Just be careful and try not to be cynical. Enjoy the chaos and the noise and the buzz of life in this great city.

• iNorv9's Profile Photo

Going to Naples? Get an Artecard

by iNorv9 Updated Feb 17, 2006

Artecard kiosk in the train station

Favorite thing: For those staying up to 3 days in the Campania region, the Artecard is an excellent bargain. For 25 euro you get free admission to two sites, half price off the rest, and unlimited use of all transportation (trains, busses, funicular). So if you only take the Alibus to and from the airport (6 euro), and take the train to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum (10 euro each admission, 3 euro r/t train ticket), you already will save 4 euro. There is a cheaper Artecard for just visiting Naples, but how can you just stay in Naples without seeing Pompeii and/or the Amalfi Coast?

Where to buy: For sale at the airport and train station, and many other locations around Naples.

Website: http://www.artecard.it/index.php?lingua=2

Instant Answers: Naples

Comments

Naples Favorites

Reviews and photos of Naples favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Naples sightseeing.