Naples Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Naples

Leon d’Oro: Down to earth good food & friendly welcome

Pizza oven at Leon d'Oro

This was our favourite of the restaurants we tried in and around the Piazza Dante. It isn’t a fancy place, but I loved its genuine feeling – it had more the atmosphere of a local neighbourhood place than a city centre restaurant. So many thanks to Calista for the recommendation!

We ate here twice. The first time was the best and perhaps over-raised our expectations for the second visit when we found the service a little less attentive (there was a large group of French tourists booked in which may have accounted for that) and the food less generous, though still good.

Favorite Dish: On our first visit we chose the antipasti misti to start with, and were amazed at the amount of delicious food that arrived at our table: slices of a cheesy pasta “cake”, a selection of tasty vegetable dishes (loved those garlicky courgettes!) and a plate of hot battered nibbles (cheese, potato croquettes etc). We’d both ordered a pasta dish to follow – spaghetti puttanesca for me and pomodoro for Chris. These were fresh and quite nice though not as good as the starters – and we both found it impossible to finish our large bowls. Needless to say we refused dessert, but the waiter insisted on bringing us a small plate of sweet beignet-like treats which we found irrisistable. When we finally asked for the bill a further on-the-house offering appeared – a glass each of delicious the Amari digestif.

Talking of the bill, that was a very reasonable €35.00, including my two glasses of house red and Chris’s large bottle of Peroni.

On our second visit we were again tempted by the antipasti misti, and received a similar selection of vegetables and crusty bread, but no hot items. I never worked out whether this was an oversight (though other tables nearby seemed not to get these, the group of French tourists did), or whether we’d been especially favoured on the previous visit! We then both had pizza – my traditional Margherita was the best I had in Naples by some way, and Chris enjoyed his too. No extras this time, and the bill (with again 2 red wines and a large beer, plus a large bottle of water) was €32. Still a good dinner, but not quite up to the standard of our first visit despite the quality of the pizza. However I would definitely recommend this place.

Caffé Gambrinus: A classic Neapolitan experience

Inside the Caff�� Gambrinus, Naples

This historic Art Nouveau café was once the favourite haunt of writers and artists. It’s now an obvious tourist destination, but when we visited, on a sunny November Sunday afternoon, seemed also to have attracted a fair number of young trendy locals. We sat outside to make the most of what was likely to be our last opportunity to do so before returning to an English winter, but wherever you sit the interior has to be seen. It’s a riot of Art Nouveau décor and very stylish, in an old European way.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed a coppa of ice cream (pistachio and coffee flavours) and Chris a cup of dark, rich hot chocolate. We paid €11 – as in similar places all over the world, we were clearly paying for the location, but it was worth it as a one-off experience. Incidentally the toilets are equally stylish so take advantage of your break here to make use of them!

• delfo767's Profile Photo

Da Michele: The best Pizza of Napoli -> best in the world

by delfo767 Written Sep 2, 2004

This is such a very old "fast-food", it means that you go there for a quick lunch or dinner.
    Usually u got a long line to come in... but any waiting line will be good... you gonna eat the best pizza of your life here;).

Before to come in don't forget to take you line number to the guy at the entrance (you got to look for him;))

you gonna sit arm by arm with unknown people and that's another nice stuff to meet local people who usually come here to eat pizza.

They only have two kinds of pizza
    margherita (with mozzarella and tomatoes)
    marinara (with tomatoes and spices)

you gonna spend 5 or 6 euros for a very big and tastefull pizza and a drink (beer,water or cola)

Favorite Dish: PIZZA MARGHERITA

• Trains

53 Piazza Dante: Disappointing choice

by toonsarah Updated Nov 25, 2007

Fried prawns and calamari

We’d spotted this restaurant the previous evening and thought it looked warm and welcoming, and maybe a little smarter than others in the square, so it seemed an easy choice for our Saturday evening in Naples. Big mistake! Inside it seemed quite bland and uninteresting in its décor, and the waiter seemed fairly uninterested in us, despite having only a few other customers. The food was OK, but rather dull and lacked colour. The “mixed salad”, which consisted only of lettuce (mainly tasteless iceberg) poorly dressed, was a particular disappointment in a country which usually does such things so well.

Altogether we paid €33 for two starters (prosciutto & parmesan for me, spaghetti frittata for Chris) and two mains (fried prawns and calamari for me, probably the best of our dishes overall, and veal in lemon sauce for Chris, with no accompaniments apart from the aforementioned salad), plus a small beer and a glass & a half of house red. We also had an unasked for (but welcome) bottle of mineral water which was the only sign of the inevitable “covers” and were charged 12% for the somewhat half-hearted service. When offered dessert we declined and headed instead for our favourite bar (see Nightlife) for coffee and cakes.

• delfo767's Profile Photo

...quello dietro architettura: Friggitoria

by delfo767 Written Sep 7, 2004

This is one of the most cheap/good place where to eat in napoli.You can choose to come in and sit for a pizza, or to pick up something and go to eat somewhere else in the street.

Last time i spent less than 5 euro for a big beer, a small pizza, a "frittatina di maccheroni", a croquet and a "palla di riso".
    hmmm the taste it's so good!
    you are not doing a diet right?...not yet at least;)

it is locatd right behind the architecture university, right in the city center....
    i really don't know if it have a name;)

Favorite Dish: l'arancino rosso

Rossopomodoro: Good fast pizzas

Pizza Purchianese

Arriving at our hotel quite late in the evening on our first day in Naples we were looking for somewhere quick and unfussy in which to eat, and found it in Rossopomodoro, a small pizzeria in the Piazza Dante which we only later realised was part of a local chain. The décor here is fairly traditional trattoria style, with solid wooden furniture and tiled floor – I was taken though by the effectiveness of the pictures on the wall which on examination proved to be a series of labels from tins of the red tomatoes that give the restaurant its name!

Favorite Dish: There was a long menu, helpfully in English, from which we both opted for pizza as we could see (and smell) them being cooked in a large pizza oven at one end of the restaurant. I chose a tasty Purchianese, with tomatoes, pancetta, ricotta, mozzarella and basil; Chris went for the Fiaschetto with prosciutto, olives, artichoke hearts, mushrooms and mozzarella. With a large (0.4 L) and a small (0.2 L) draft beer we paid just €24.50, which I thought was good value.

• Pizzeria Trianon: The Absolute #1 Best Pizza in the World

by Jetgirly Updated Feb 25, 2007

I have a confession. I hate Naples. With a passion. Just the thought of going there gives me a headache and makes me feel a little bit nauseous. Why, then, do I always make sure that my train trips from the south of Italian have a stopover in this god-forsaken city? The answer is simple, my friends:

PIZZERIA TRIANON

I have never in my life eaten pizza that even remotely compares to the pizzas at this little, old pizzeria. Thin, delicate crust cooked to perfection, with the highest quality buffalo mozzarella, fresh cherry tomatoes and the perfect amount of parmesan cheese (Margarita DOC is the name of this particular pizza). Prices are ridiculously affordable, the atmosphere is friendly and relaxed, and the staff seem to love their jobs. It is a ten-minute walk down Corso Re Umberto from the train station (turn right when you see the store called "Graziano" on the opposite side of the street) and there are two locations, one across from the other. I prefer to eat in the older, more authentic one.

No trip to Naples (or the south of Italy for that matter) is complete without a stop at this pizzeria!

My favorite pizza is the Margarita DOC! On the eighth day, God invented buffalo mozzarella...

• iconechinoise's Profile Photo

La campagnola: the soul of napoli

by iconechinoise Written Jun 14, 2007

La campagnola is hidden in the spaccanapoli, the most popular place in the city. At first look, it seems to be a grocer's but the restaurant (5 or 6 small tables) is hidden behind. There, giovani seats at your table and describes you the different dish, all depend of the market in the morning. here we are talking about the real italian food and it's really a place to eat in naples. i can't imagine eat somewhere else when i visit naples.

Favorite Dish: pasta with mussel, garlic and tomato, something really simple but with an amazing taste.

• Beaches

• MM212's Profile Photo

Sorbillo: Best Pizza in Napoli?

by MM212 Updated Mar 21, 2010

Crowd outside Sorbillo

For my first taste of the famous Neapolitan pizza, I went straight for what was considered the best the city had to offer, Pizzeria Sorbillo. The rather small pizzeria, founded in 1935 and located in the heart of historic Naples, had been awarded the hefty title "Miglior Pizza d'Italia" (Best Pizza in Italy) and was frequently featured in guidebooks. Upon arrival, A large crowd had gathered outside waiting for a table, but being alone, I was able to jump ahead of everyone. I must admit that at first I was sceptical and not convinced that Neapolitan pizza could be that much better, but tasting the pizza at Sorbillo left me persuaded: there is nothing like Neapolitan pizza!

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• Polly74's Profile Photo

Ciro a Medina: The best pizza we have tasted in Napoli

by Polly74 Written Feb 8, 2005

Inside the Pizzeria

This small pizzeria is located in front of the fountain in Via Medina. It is a two floors restaurant and I suggest you to ask for a table on the upper floor as downstairs there is more "traffic" while people are passing to go upstairs.
    We celebrated here our 5th wedding anniversary.

Favorite Dish: Pizza Imperatrice, with mozzarella di bufala, has been one of the best pizza we have tasted during our trip in Naples. And befoore that...while waiting for your pizza...just ask for a cornet of battered and fried vegetables ... simply delicious!!

• Balam's Profile Photo

Pizza

by Balam Written Feb 26, 2008

Pizza margharita

Naples is the home of Pizza and you can not visit without eating pizza in Naples.
    some like the one we went to had a counter outside were people could buy pizza to go or other snacks like calzone and even deep fried Pizza.

• rsleisk's Profile Photo

Trattoria Ntritella: A great experience!

by rsleisk Updated Jun 2, 2007

We were walking around the Galleria Umberto area doing some window shopping when we decided we were hungry and started looking for a restaurant. I'm not sure how we ended up finding this place but we couldn't have found a more charming restaurant with great food if we tried.

Situated in what might seem as a back alley the restaurant was nestled between a small grocery store and a butcher. We sat outside and ordered the house red wine which was very good and very inexpensive. We bought it as a liter.

The owner was very friendly and was telling us jokes. He strolled up and down the street entering the nearby businesses and we joked with him that he was a bigshot who owned everything on the street, he smiled and said "no, no I just friendly".

Anyway there was a guitar player who was really quite good. He sung us a few Italian songs and then burst into some Elvis"Blue, blue suede shoes yeah!" I even got him to play The Door's Light My Fire, man it was great we had a blast.

I had a delicous pasta with prawns. This place is highly recommended for its great atmosphere, excellently friendly staff and awesome food!

Favorite Dish: Pasta Gemberoni, pasta with prawns with the house red wine.

• Wine Tasting

• Wowmoment's Profile Photo

Osteria da Carmela: Small Friendly Place

by Wowmoment Written Apr 13, 2008

Osteria da Carmela

This restaurant has only 7 or 8 tables so probably worth booking.

We visited on two nights and found the waiting staff and chef different each visit. They were equally friendly and helpful and the food was a delight.

A good choice of meat; fish; pasta as one would expect plus some very good wines. We were brought a delicious complementary antipasti, it was like a light dough ball filled with cream cheese.

Delightful experience all round

Favorite Dish: The meal I chose was grilled Lamb on the first visit and local fish on the second. Both were superb as was the accompanying salad. Hard to describe why such relatively plain food was so good, just the quality of the ingredients, prepared freshly and served with charm.

• deebum25's Profile Photo

Trianon: awesome pizza!

by deebum25 Written Sep 25, 2008

I thought this pizza was better than Antica de Michelle and the prices were just as reasonable. The local wine was nothing to write home about but service was quick and the pizza was decidedly very tasty. I had sausage and mushrooms and my husband had ham and eggs. Delicious!

• rsleisk's Profile Photo

Pinterre: Buffet, Beer and a great view!

by rsleisk Updated Jun 1, 2007

Pinterre early morning

I was walking the strand along the Bay of Naples and saw this restaurant among the many others that had an outdoor seating area and thought I would give it a try.

I was very pleased, I guess it was happy hour, they served a buffet of various tasty Italian appetizers from pasta to seafood, it was all good. They had a good beer selection. I had a relaxing time as I sat and watched the sunset over the Bay of Naples.

Favorite Dish: The buffet and all that was served.

• Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Naples

Comments

Naples Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Naples restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Naples sightseeing.