On Piazza del Gesù in Spaccanapoli there is the Chiesa Santa Chiara with adjacent monastery. The church (Gothic style) has been built in the early 14th century. In the 18th century the interior of the church had been changed but the church was almost completely destroyed during the second world war. It has been rebuilt afterwards.
The church was commissioned by Robert of Anjou for his wife Sancia and was built in 1310 by Gagliardo Primario. It was heavily bombed during World War II but reconstruction uncovered the original Gothic structure. The tombs of the Angevin monarchs are housed here including Robert the Wise (died 1343), his son Charles of Calabria (died 1328) and Charles' wife Mary of Valois (died 1331).
Santa Chiara was a nun who devoted herself to a life of poverty. The church, and gardens are located in the Centro Storico downtown. Her tomb is very plain, and in fact is a simple chapel and a single altar with a plant on top. She wanted it that way. The adjacent garden is fabulous, and is full of painted tiles, and there is a museum in the complex as well. Some ancient roman baths also occupy the grounds