The 16th century Jesuit church was constructed by Valeriano in 1470 of which only the embossed diamond-pointed stone facade survives. The 17th century decorative interior is resplendent with coloured marble and paintings, including works by Ribera and Solimena.
At the west end of the ancient decumanus of Spaccanapoli there is Piazza del Gesù (Jesus' Square), rich of history and monuments. Here had been the Royal Gate built by the Angevins and here is the Gothic Church of Santa Chiara with adjacent monastery, founded in 1310 by King Robert of Anjou, decorated by Giotto and celebrated by Petrarch.
In Piazza del Gesu' is the church of Santa Chiara. The church was built in 1328 but was very badly damaged during WWII. The main attraction here is around the back - a convent cloisters. It is a very quiet place to sit if you have been walking in the hot sun all day. Benches and pillars in the middle of the cloisters are covered in brightly coloured majolica tiles.
Open 8.30 - 1pm & 4 - 6.30pm.