Naples Tourist Traps

Supersize me?
    by yooperprof
  • "Hello, operator? connect me with...
    by sargentjeff
  • Tourist Traps
    by anaiis

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Naples

• Naples tourist trap - traghetto to Capri and taxi

by mammola3000 Written Jul 24, 2011

The traghetto to Capri is a real tourist trap- the tour-retour ticket is valid only at the same day.
    The taxis are extreme expensive- 10-15 minutes = 25-30 Euros, most of the taxi drivers are non tourist-friendly.

Unique Suggestions: There are a lot of websites with useful tips, but I prefer www.cities-step-by-step.com, or www.italy-city-travel-guides.com (I think its the same company). There are tips for downloading at little costs.

Fun Alternatives: There are a lot of websites with useful tips, but I prefer www.cities-step-by-step.com, or www.italy-city-travel-guides.com (I think its the same company). There are tips for downloading at little costs.

• Naples "Tour" is a shill

by powerm Written Mar 24, 2010

If you want a "tour" of Naples that's really a shill for all the local shopping centers, then Naples Trolley Tours is for you! And only $25 per person. Don't bother. On a rainy day, go to the Silver Spot Cinema at Mercato Mall instead. Every seat can be reserved, and they're all like first-class airplane seats. But don't take the Trolley to get there.

• deebum25's Profile Photo

African street hawkers

by deebum25 Updated Sep 25, 2008

We stayed very near to the Piazza Garibaldi and these guys were everywhere selling knockoffs of everything you can imagine from Fendi to Dolce and Gabbana, Rolex, Movado you name it they had a cheap knockoff that they would want twenty euro for. Don't fall for these cheaply made goods.

Unique Suggestions: Ignore the street hawkers unless you want something and then bargain hard and be prepared to walk away.

• Festivals
    • Business Travel

• Wowmoment's Profile Photo

Pompeii - Unannounced closures.

by Wowmoment Written Apr 13, 2008

Advertised opening hours at Pompeii are 08:30 to 19:30 April- October. We arrived at around 10:15 on a Tuesday to find notices on all gates saying closed until 11:30 for a "Staff Meeting". We interpreted this to mean industrial action by employees.

When the gates eventually opened a little after the time the notices advised many coaches had arrived all expecting the opening to be from 08:30. Combined with all the other visitors the result was quite simply chaos.

On returning to out Hotel we learned that this is not an unusual occurrence and announcements are never made in advance. We also learned from other travellers that Herculaneum and presumably other sites suffered the in the same way.

This did not spoil our day at one of the greatest historical sites in the world but I pass on this information as a warning

• jubistuta79's Profile Photo

City of Ma ...

by jubistuta79 Written Dec 28, 2007

Be careful when you travel to naples. As mentioned in my page, north of this city (close to train station) full with stranger, foreigner and bad guys! Even local ppls, you cant trust them. SO many tourists (I found from internet forum) was cheaten by local ppl. I received many advice from my officemate, be careful with a wallet and bags. When you pay something, check a balance, because they like to give less than actual balance. In museum, the ticket cost me 10 euro, but the cashier didnt give me any balance even I gave him 20 euro (1 note). I have to argue with him until I get back my balance. For restaurant, try to pay exact amount as your bill. If there any balance, the waiter likes to keep as a tip! (if forbidden by law in Italy).

• Lcannar's Profile Photo

I think the problem is with the language

by Lcannar Written Jul 21, 2006

I think this is at the Mercato Porta Nolana

There is lots of stuff to buy, almost too much. Walking through the Mercato Porto Nolana (I'm pretty sure that's where I was), I felt positively accosted by things. Many were interesting and different from anything I might find at home. My problem, it was difficult to ask questions or understand the answers. Is it permissible to try on the shoes? Without knowing, I wouldn't try it. Knick knacks for the home--do I want to carry them for 2 weeks. Besides, most prices aren't marked. I'm not quite adventuresome enough to do the markets when I don't speak the language that well. Also, I'm just not that much of a shopper.

Unique Suggestions: The markets are fun to walk through. My favorite part is watching all the other people and just looking at the things. Some people, on the other hand, are shoppers and may enjoy it and even get bargains. I don't want to be bogged down carrying packages of things I don't really need, but somehow, when I get home from a vacation, I always wish I had bought something to remember it by.

Fun Alternatives: If you do like shopping, especially the street-type, Naples has plenty.
    --Mercato di Sant Antonio Abate on via Sant Antonio Abate is open Mon-Sat from 9:00-20:00. It is a loca food market that ends at Porta Capuana.

• albaaust's Profile Photo

Its a jungle!!

by albaaust Updated Jun 12, 2006

Be extremely aware of what is happening around you! There are opportunists watching you very carefully. We found out the hard way! On our way to Sorrento we had to change trains at Naples station.Unfortunately, my husband with two big suitcases in tow got into the carriage after my daughter and myself and found himself unable to move closer to us because of the "crowd" around him.The "crowd" got off just as the train started to take off with the addition of his wallet and credit card.
    A day or two after we reluctantly ventured back into Naples to visit the Naples museum and found ourselves being followed and accosted by various gypsies, beggars and more pickpockets!!! The Ferry area is crawling with gypsies and beggars so keep your money close to you.

Unique Suggestions: Make sure you keep all precious belongings in a money /belt bag secured under your clothing next to your skin!! Watch carefully for any suspicious people who you see more than once in your travels. Gypsies particularly young children will try and distract you.

Fun Alternatives: If there is more than two of you have one of you walking slightly behind so they can watch what people walking past are looking at. That way you can detect anyone taking a bit more interest than necessary in the people up front. Stop every now and then and check to see that no-one is following you. If you do, make sure they know you know!

• Business Travel

• Street vendor

by zoey56 Written May 24, 2006

Be ware of the gypsys that say 'put out your thumb' because they will tie a string around your awrist and hand. Then they will charge you for it ex. 5- 25 Euros. beware of pick pockets

Unique Suggestions: Say no, walk away, or ignor e them. Also keep important personal items in a under the clothes money belt, or neck pouch. Never carry anything in your pockets, or a purse if you are carring one.

• School Holidays

• spicysurfer's Profile Photo

Capri, crowd and crazy prices

by spicysurfer Written Oct 3, 2005

The faraglioni (big rocks) of Capri

Capri is a real pearl in the gulf of Naples, but be careful with the shops and the restaurants and the bar and the taxis, and the beaches. Everything costs the triple, so if you want to spend a day in the island you'll pay the same rate of the whole trip in Italy...

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

If you absolutely need a Big Mac

by yooperprof Updated May 29, 2005

Supersize me?

To its credit, Naples is remarkably uncontaminated by multi-national calorie outets. I only saw one McDonald's, and no outposts of any of the other usual American (or German) suspects. And no Starbucks, either. (I checked on the corporate website, and there are indeed other McDonald's around Napoli, I just didn't see them.) I suppose that in the near future as Naples is increasingly "discovered" by the tourist masses, progress will spread its dubious influence over the local food scene. In the meantime, Naples has an abundance of excellent inexpensive eating options, so eating at McDo's should really be a last resort for the visitor to the city.

• ismailb's Profile Photo

Decent people Guiding you into something wrong

by ismailb Written Sep 27, 2003

We were standing on the bus stop . We had tickets for the blue bus . We wanted to get to piazza Garibaldi . SO we asked a bunch of locals whena yellow bus came along , whether the tickets would be valid . All 5 of them said yes (they operate in groups mostly ) . AFter getting on the bus , validator machine wouldnt recognise the ticks . While of them tried to pick my fathers wallet . They then created a scene by banging the ticket validating machine , while pretending to help us . Thank fully 1 of us saw him picking the wallet and got away without any trouble !!

Fun Alternatives: ALways ask the tabak while buying the tick ..for which bus is it!!

• Restaurant for tourists in Sorrento

by maybetara Written Jun 20, 2003

It was during mid-day one March weekday at Sorrento when we decided to eat lunch. We walked for half an hour before we found someplaceto sit and eat. One look at the menu told us it was for tourists because the pizzas were named in english and the list included none of traditional pizzas made in any decent pizzaria around naples. When our none-too-cheap pizzas eventually came, my partner gaped in disbelief- "they think im a tourist" he muttered, "are we to drink this as a soup?" - for each pizza was the size of a plate, affording us 4 bites each, and extremely wet! Instead of prosciutto slices, my pizza had little processed ham squares, instead of fresh funghi, there were canned mushrooms, all 4 halves of them!! we felt really cheated. But we more than made up or that with lots of gelato afterwards.

• unravelau's Profile Photo

So near and yet so far

by unravelau Written Apr 21, 2003

Naples museum.......up on the hill.

Naples Museum, up on a hill not far from town............................................Do take your map, and if heading to the museum as I was, but I didn't make it, I would advise a taxi or check out the busses to this destination. By the time that I took this photo (see the museum on the hill?), I was thoroughly exhausted and had run out of time to get to my destination. .

Unique Suggestions: So, do plan your day better than I planned mine here ............... and take everything that you are likely to need.

Fun Alternatives: Despite all of this, you can have quite a fun day browsing the shops, hopping in and out of all of the little laneways and stopping for coffee, everytime you see a sign or pretty statue.

• Architecture
    • Hiking and Walking

• leeeemoncello!

by maybetara Written Mar 21, 2003

At Sorrento, during one of my last days in Naples, I went into a buying frenzy, having remembered that I hadn't gotten anything for my friends and family back home. I ended up buying bottles of Sorrento's famous limoncello (or leeeeeeemoncello, as my Napolitan partner emphasised) at a nice-looking store stocked to the ceiling with bottles and bottles of the yummy, sweet, lemon liquor. Later in the evening in the supermarket, I realised it sold the same brand of limoncello I'd gotten but for half the price!!!

Unique Suggestions: Go with a local!

• sargentjeff's Profile Photo

The "Audio Guide" at Pompei

by sargentjeff Updated Nov 30, 2002

It's not a bad thing, and okay if your hands aren't full (like mine were) with a Pompei guide book in hand, a camera (try to take pics with all this stuff), backpack and whatever else. Just pray it doesn't rain. First of all, the Audio Guide tips are rather brief, and don't go into much detail. It's not a bad deal at 6 euro, but you will get more from the Pompei book or by using a human tour guide

Unique Suggestions: Purchase two of the "Audio guies, as it's only 9 euro for two

Fun Alternatives: Pay 7,50 for a Pompei guide book, and follow the tour trail in the book. Besides, you can keep the book, but must return the Audio Guide unless you don't care about forfeiting your ID.

Better yet, discretely follow along by one of the tour groups. You didn't hear that one from me ;-)

Instant Answers: Naples

Comments

Naples Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Naples tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Naples sightseeing.