Naples Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Naples

• Not dangerous!

by srsaxton Written Mar 26, 2014

I went to Rome and Naples in September of 2012 as a 40-something single woman. Before going, I read all the information I could find about Naples. Not surprisingly, some people love it, and some people hate it. I think I am closer to the love side. There is graffiti. Sometimes there is trash in the streets. People hang out outside. Coming from the US, we usually consider those hallmarks of a bad area, but in Naples it’s really not. Every morning I would head out for my day and see normal people going to work, opening shops, cleaning, etc. Starting about 5 or 6 pm, it seemed like everyone went outside. The city came alive. For me, it was a bit of sensory overload. If you sat back and watched though, whole communities went outside to socialize. There were people with their dogs, standing around and talking. Children were playing. Elderly men and women would sit and talk or play games. Teenagers would hang out. The thing is, though, everyone did it. I never felt the least bit unsafe in Naples. Of course, I made an effort to stay in mostly residential areas, so I saw real people living real lives. I found the people warm and very friendly. I visited Ischia, Pompeii and Herculaneum while I was in Naples. I never saw anything dangerous or worrisome, even at the tourist destinations. I would absolutely go back. Be aware. Use caution like you would in any other big city. Do not act like you have a lot of money. Above all, do not act nervous or be nervous. Go to Naples with an open mind and enjoy the city and people for what they are.

• Trains
    • Museum Visits
    • Archeology

• Beware Naples pickpockets.

by moiknowles Written Sep 14, 2013

We were staying in Sorrento for two weeks and travelled to Naples on two separate days. Three unconnected gangs of pickpockets targeted us at different times. They each used specific tactics - posing as friendly locals, following us onto the metro and trying to steal from our back packs and one even slid his hand round my friends torso to try and steal from his body belt. They know their trade and are very clever. We were aware and protected ourselves by burying anything valuable - from money to cameras - at the bottom of our back packs and always looked out for one another. One group of persistent thieves had an air of callousness that suggested the potential for violence if they had caught us on a lonely or dark street.
    This is so reminiscent of New York in the 1970's.

• Beware Naples pickpockets.

by moiknowles Written Sep 14, 2013

This is so reminiscent of New York in the 1970's.

• Naples - a beautiful yet very dysfunctional city

by dianaboeck Written Aug 11, 2013

After my husband and I arrived at the central train station in Naples to take in the sites we headed for the Tourist Office and after prying the attendant off the lap of his girlfriend was able to get him to go over a basic layout and tourist map of the city (the map provided to us did not list street names). He suggested we head over to the Central Antiqua neighborhood which we were told was the vibrant historical area with lots of twisty windy streets, cafes and shops. After following his directions for several blocks we were taken aback by the garbage strewn streets, graffitied monuments and general unsavory vibe of the area. Everyone we asked told us we were in the "historic area" but after spending 30 more minutes of trying to find this area we gave up and headed back to the station. I've never in my life experienced such a dysfunctional city faced with such an overwhelming challange of processsing their daily trash output. Something told me however, that Naples' problems go much deeper and there seems to be a deep seated apathy and demorilization of its populace. Not clear why Romeo sent us to this crappy neighborhood but I think the Napolitans have honed survival skills where they don't see the city in its true light. We did however head over to the National Museum which houses treasures of the many ancient cultures that have called Napoli their home and most important to me--some of the treasures salvaged from Pompeii and Herculaneum. After seeing the barely visible sign for the musem covered in graffiti and surrouonded by boxes of trash we decided just to split.
    Unfortunately we discovered we had to spend a night in Naples since our train left early in the a.m. from the main station for the next leg of our trip. Upon scrupulous internet search for a hotel in a decent safe part of town, all arrows seemed to point to the harbor area where we rented a B and B for just one night.
    The hotel was lovely, the staff quite warm and friendly. We decided to take a walk through the beautiful waterfront neighborhood and came upon the Gallerai Umbert--a spectacular Victorian era shopping arcade. After walking around taking in the lovely scenery we sat down at the cafe in the arcade. Long story short, a tag team of gypsies quite stealthfully, I might add, managed to steal my husbands wallet from his front pocket --walking away with $250.00 including his ID and credit cards. The cafe owners were of no use and in fact when the gypsy family initially apppoaced us they were not shooed away but were allowed to accost the cafe's cutstomers. The degree to which the waiters were so eager to turn the other cheek made us think they were somehow involved. Even after I ID'd the young girl who created the distraction that allowed the pickpocketing to happen, the neraby security guards explained that she was just a young girl who meant no harm.
    So within 15 minutes of re-arriving in Naples my husand's wallet was gone. We spent the rest of the evening at the Naples Police Station filling out a report--The police did seem very concerned and professional and just seemed overwhelmed with the task at hand.

• Luggage stolen off of train!

by eufemia3 Written Jul 24, 2013

Beware Of Luggage Being stolen off the train!!!! My luggage was stolen off the train, I safely got on and put it in the luggage holding area and when I arrived to my destination it was not there. The police was no help Napoli Central is filled with low down criminals. The police only said make a report and they obviously by their laughter have no intention of finding my luggage. This is a disaster all my personal belongings were in there. I am distressed. Always keep your luggage next to you even on the train. Look out for suspicious ppl on the train leaving with your luggage at every stop. I hope this avoids someone from going thru this experience.

• ipad and iphone 5 scam

by nexia201 Written Jun 5, 2013

Was stopped by a guy near pjazza Garibaldi ,this guy was trying to sell me an ipad and iphone for 300 euro showed me recipts for it and i was keeping an eye on the bag and every time i tried to open the bag to check it he seemed to take it out of my hand ! it was 4 of us looking at the bag and he still managed to change the stuff inside for 2 stones and a tile when he lowered the price to 150 euro and we agreed he just vanished with the help of other assholes !!! if anyone aproach you with stuff like this just tell them to *** off no need to be polite with such scam they ***ed up my holiday i dont know why criuse liners still stop here to have their clients robbed !!

• Cruise

• painterdave's Profile Photo

Asking For Trouble

by painterdave Updated Nov 6, 2012

Go There Late At Night?

We walked over a large part of Naples, keeping our eyes out to stay away from a situation putting ourselves at risk, being aware of all the stories of pickpockets, etc.
    I feel that the area near the train station is an area to be aware of a problem late at night. There are many, many immigrants who during the day only hassle people to buy their wares, but during the night they are out wandering around. We stayed in a hotel 5 minutes from the station and it was a place NOT to hang around in. It is best to always keep moving if you have to walk through this area. Don't allow yourself to become squeezed into a group.
    If a bus is crowded, wait for the next one.
    We used the metro and it was far less crowded.
    Don't flash your wallet and money around to be viewed by desperate people.
    I put my wallet in my front pocket and when in a bus, my hand was in there for protection.
    Got a big camera, take it out when you are using it, and put it away after. Don't leave anything alone, on the floor, or seat, and keep your strap over your head and on the other shoulder.

• Singles
    • Study Abroad

• leics's Profile Photo

Do *not* believe the horror stories.

by leics Updated Nov 5, 2011

Narrow, busy streets....

I know from answering questions on the forums that Naples has a bad reputation. In my opinion, this is unwarranted.

If, like me, you are visiting for the day there is nothing more about which to be concerned than when visiting any large European city. Take normal city common sense precautions and you will have no problems.

Just because somewhere is a bit grubby, very busy, very noisy and clearly not hugely wealthy does not mean that there are great risks involved in exploring.

I spent several hours walking the Forcella and centro storico areas, exploring the narrow alleyways, the shops, the streetlife and the history. At no time did I feel in any danger whatsoever. I cannot speak for how I would feel walking late at night, but I do not choose to walk alone late at night anywhere: that is not common sense city behaviour for a solo female in any city, anywhere. Imo.

Stay alert for traffic, of course: Naples traffic is frantic and chaotic. Stay alert for the many scooters: not because they will grab your bag (the chances of that happening are tiny, and pretty much non-existent if you wear your bag strap over your body as locals do) but because they appear out of nowhere on the narrowest of streets. Take extra care when crossing roads, and do not dither about doing so...walk confidently, and keep walking. Traffic *will* avoid you.

Naples is a 'dangerous' place to visit during normal hours? No. Absolutely not.

• Singles
    • Seniors

• travelnut71's Profile Photo

Piazza Garibaldi is seedy at night, be careful!

by travelnut71 Written Sep 21, 2011

There is a lot of pickpocketing here and people running off with your bags. This place is a melting pot for everyone who has business intentions, like selling you fake purses and watches, to some who just want to run off with your own. If you are careful and keep steer and distance with people, nothing will happen, but if you are not, just be careful! There is a Carbinieri office in the area (police). If you feel threatened or something happened, just go see them. If someone bothers you, tell them you will go call the carbinieri. Be aware of scams. I have encountered a white fellow from East Europe with a luggage in his hand coming up to me in this square in broad daylight. He asked me how to get to a certain hotel. He spoke in English with an accent. I replied in Italian, dialect too and a stern voice that I didn't have time to help. My gut feeling was right. He left me alone. He went to another tourist, and then I saw him walking in a small street with them. The tourist was leading them to where he wanted, a small street. Then I saw him running off with a camera bag and a purse in the opposite direction! Some people may purposely as you a question to see if you speak English and study your body language to see if you can be an easy victim. Beware. If they need help. Be polite, just tell them there is a police office around the corner and maybe they can help there. Just saying this shows them that you may be aware of the area and a threat to them if they harm or steal from you. Refrain from saying where you are from, give as little information as possible. Usually when someone abroad asks you where you are from and they are providing you a service, sadly, they are calculating how much more they can charge you. Sometimes they even ask you if it's your first time there.. usually cab drivers do this.. never say it's your first time and always pretend you know where it is and how long it takes to get there, do your research and tell him the distance and time and that you have been there before. They are less likely to charge you a ridiculous price or take you around the city. This applies to any city in the world!

• Business Travel

• wandabendik's Profile Photo

Keep hold of your bags.

by wandabendik Written Sep 28, 2010

We were told theft is rife, so we were very cautious.
    As we were walking the streets to find our hotel we saw a woman chasing a gang of boys, who had just stolen a bag from her friend.
    So beware, beware, beware.

• MM212's Profile Photo

Napoli's Waste Management Problem

by MM212 Updated May 5, 2010

Other than noise and traffic, the first thing one notices upon arrival in Naples is the rubbish on the streets everywhere and in piles at every street corner. There is no way to sugar-coat it: Naples is a dirty city. The reason is that waste is not being collected on a regular basis, mainly because nearby landfills have reached full capacity. This is all part of a complex problem and scandal involving local Mafia (Camorra) who have sold landfill space to major corporations, while the government has remained helpless. Unfortunately, in certain areas, Napoli makes Cairo and Bombay look clean in comparison! Be prepared for this when visiting the city and if you look at it with a certain humour, it won't sully your visit. Attached are a few photos.

• Ainisoba's Profile Photo

They look you!

by Ainisoba Written Sep 5, 2009

I'd like to write general warning when you visit Naples.
    Don't get a curios to see nallow streets of Naples, you can take a picture in distance.
    You don't need bring wallet, neither passport, credit card, take few bill in your pocket deeply, I know many Naples girls bring money in har bra.
    When you look many boys in your round, you should enter any shop to ask help, because they are group shief.
    If you wanna enjoy night life in Naples, don't walk in histrial center after eight and take a taxi to go back, in Forcella, P.zza Garibaldi, quartieri spagnoli, p.zza Mercato...these area are very dengerous for tourists and easy to get there walking around the sight seeing points.
    The shiefs look you, their victim are almost tourists, ususlly silm girls or seniors, nobady helps you in the moment of steal your things, please protect yourself.
    Invice, it's not danger to go around Santa Lucia seaside, you pay bit more to eat and to take a drink but you don't need particular attention for shief.

• Aloe9678's Profile Photo

Cameras mysteriously jumping overboard...

by Aloe9678 Written Aug 25, 2009

Possibly the

On our Metro del Mare trip from Napoli to Amalfi, some of the gentlemen (whom we will now call the Pirates of the Mediterranean), took photos on my friend's camera for us. Then it was mysteriously gone. The next morning, she also realized her debit card was missing. We reported the missing camera right away. When we went to buy tickets to Sorrento, hoping for a better trip, they mentioned her reporting her wallet missing. We hadn't reported that. So it seems to us that unless the gentlemen have psychic powers, the only way they would know that she was missing something other than her camera would be if they were the reason it was missing.

Be careful with your stuff! The boats are otherwise a pretty inexpensive way to get around the Bay of Naples.

• Bogus station porter - Piazza Garibaldi.

by GlobetrotterChris Written Jun 19, 2009

First of all, Napoli Garibaldi train station is undergoing a facelift and is a lot safer than previously stated with police presence and far less hustlers but caution must be paid to one individual... it goes like this, he spots you are a tourist looking around for tickets,circumvesuviana etc and introduces himself as the station porter and will offer to take your bags to the platform and help getting your ticket but once he sets your bags down on that platform he will demand 10 euros for the trouble! the simple solution is do not let your bags out of your hands and simply follow the signs to the circumvesuviana train platforms which are to the right hand side of where the regional trains depart for Rome,Milan etc (You will see the destinations listed on their platforms) and all will become clear from there, just don't forget to run your ticket through the machines before boarding, have fun!

• Trains

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Watch for run away Vespas........

by Maryimelda Updated Apr 30, 2009

The streets in the city centre of Naples are a jungle in places and the traffic is horrendous. Consequently tempers get frayed and people on Vespas who find themselves running late because they are stuck in traffic on the road, will quite simply jump their scooters onto the footpath and woe and betide any pedestrian who is not quick enough to get out of their way.
    You really need to be aware and keep your wits about you, if you want to stay alive!

• Seniors
    • Travel with Pets

Instant Answers: Naples

Comments

Naples Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Naples warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Naples sightseeing.