Naples Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Naples

• Aloe9678's Profile Photo

Cameras mysteriously jumping overboard...

by Aloe9678 Written Aug 25, 2009

On our Metro del Mare trip from Napoli to Amalfi, some of the gentlemen (whom we will now call the Pirates of the Mediterranean), took photos on my friend's camera for us. Then it was mysteriously gone. The next morning, she also realized her debit card was missing. We reported the missing camera right away. When we went to buy tickets to Sorrento, hoping for a better trip, they mentioned her reporting her wallet missing. We hadn't reported that. So it seems to us that unless the gentlemen have psychic powers, the only way they would know that she was missing something other than her camera would be if they were the reason it was missing.

Be careful with your stuff! The boats are otherwise a pretty inexpensive way to get around the Bay of Naples.

Possibly the

• Bogus station porter - Piazza Garibaldi.

by GlobetrotterChris Written Jun 19, 2009

First of all, Napoli Garibaldi train station is undergoing a facelift and is a lot safer than previously stated with police presence and far less hustlers but caution must be paid to one individual... it goes like this, he spots you are a tourist looking around for tickets,circumvesuviana etc and introduces himself as the station porter and will offer to take your bags to the platform and help getting your ticket but once he sets your bags down on that platform he will demand 10 euros for the trouble! the simple solution is do not let your bags out of your hands and simply follow the signs to the circumvesuviana train platforms which are to the right hand side of where the regional trains depart for Rome,Milan etc (You will see the destinations listed on their platforms) and all will become clear from there, just don't forget to run your ticket through the machines before boarding, have fun!

• Trains

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Watch for run away Vespas........

by Maryimelda Updated Apr 30, 2009

The streets in the city centre of Naples are a jungle in places and the traffic is horrendous. Consequently tempers get frayed and people on Vespas who find themselves running late because they are stuck in traffic on the road, will quite simply jump their scooters onto the footpath and woe and betide any pedestrian who is not quick enough to get out of their way.
    You really need to be aware and keep your wits about you, if you want to stay alive!

• Seniors
    • Travel with Pets

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

Don't follow him!

by HispanicYob Written Oct 6, 2008

It all started when me and a friend of mine were looking for a place that sells stamps in Naples. We were just stuck in one spot when this middle-aged bloke came up to us and asked us what we needed. We told him we needed to find a place that sold stamps. So, he didn't take us very far to a place that we had passed previously. We did our thing and when we came out, he expected a tip from us! Yes, he wanted money for his services. If someone approaches you and asks if you need help, resist. Unless it's a tourist official or a police officer or something, kindly say no, "grazie" and walk away unless you want to pay some stranger some of your hard-earned Euros. Naples is a very congested city and like all cities, not everyone can be trusted. Heed these words. OH! And in case you don't know, stamps can be purchased at tobacco shops here in Naples.

• Study Abroad

• deebum25's Profile Photo

Crossing the street

by deebum25 Written Sep 25, 2008

I read many things that said when crossing the street in Naples, SHOW NO FEAR. That's absolutely correct. If you go to a crosswalk or if you have a lot of nerve step into the street when there is no traffic coming, DO NOT STOP until you get to the other side. The cars will stop. I know it's hard to believe but they will actually stop. Do watch out for the buses as they cannot stop on a dime. We watched people run red lights because there were no pedestrians in the crosswalk so when we crossed the street we would look directly at the vehicles that were coming toward us. We don't know if that had any impact or not but it worked for us!

• Work Abroad
    • Study Abroad

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

Mind those Italian drivers!

by HispanicYob Written Aug 30, 2008

Here in Naples, especially, it's important to remember what your parents and your teachers told you about crossing streets. Definitely look both ways and if you can, cross in groups of people. Drivers here in Naples are very obnoxious and the traffic lights (at least in my eyes) were seen as accessories or optional. You hear ambulances in the city ALL the time and you wonder if they're going to retrive some victim of a Napoli driver. Be careful when crossing. I found it to be dangerous at times. A rule to remember is that try not to hesitate when crossing! It seems to be a game. Naturally, the drivers should stop. If you hesitate and decide to wait, you could wait forever. If you don't prefer this method, then like I said, cross with groups of people.

• Seriously, people....

by EkiStarr Written Aug 18, 2008

Honestly-
    I have to believe that some of you that are writing tips and such on here are either amateur travelers or have never set foot out of Wyoming.

Naples, like ANY city/town on this planet (other than maybe Wyoming, like I mentioned) has crime. Good thing is, violent crime in this city is kept to a minimum, mostly because any violence that occurs is usually due to internal fighting between crime families and such. At least it's not like here in the US, where it's not uncommon to hear of rapes, kidnappings and random murders. It just doesn't happen in Naples. I will say though that Naples does indeed have its petty thieves, who will not hesitate to mug you if you're not paying attention. But really...some of these tips on here...first off, why would you stop to even look at some of the stuff the street vendors are hawking? They're STREET VENDORS. You know you're gonna get either a) a counterfeit or b) something that's gonna fall apart probably an hour after you've purchased it. Are you really expecting a good quality purchase? If you see someone approaching you, possibly looking for some pocket money, do you really think it's a good idea to stop and see how much he wants? No. Because then he'll either continue to hassle you unless you're aggressive from the get-go or yes, get his buddy to pickpocket you all fast and easy-like. I just walk right past these characters and ignore them. Then they have no other choice than to leave you alone. You simply have to remember this one thing: NAPLES IS NOT AMERICA. You can't expect to go and have things be the same way they are here. It's a common sense city--go, use your common sense, and nothing will happen to you. Not even a mugging.
    As for not walking around Spaccanapoli because they'll snatch you from their doorways...really?? ;)

Come on, people.

• Wowmoment's Profile Photo

Watch the traffic!

by Wowmoment Updated Apr 13, 2008

All over Naples life as a pedestrian is pretty fraught! Shall we say the locals drive very exuberantly and there are plenty of vehicles.

Just walking along pavements is not easy, parking is rather random with very little space to get by on foot, often it's necessary to step into the street!

I set off at least one motorbike alarm just trying to squeeze by!

In the narrow streets of the Centro Storico you might think you are safe but cars pass even here, pinning you to the sides and scooters and motorbikes rush by at astonishing speeds.

Parking Naples style - get out of that! Typical Street Scene Not too Narrow for Cars or Scooters!

• wilocrek's Profile Photo

This is not a dangerous city!!!

by wilocrek Written Mar 15, 2008

Naples gets a bad rap for being a dangerous, crime ridden city, while there may be some merit to that assertion its also fair to say that Naples is really no different then Rome from a crime perspective. Before I visited Naples for the first time I read several tips from people claiming that they felt unsafe in Naples. I have visited Naples twice and have walked all over the city during the day and late at night and have never once felt unsafe. I'm sure there are some bad areas of Naples but its unlikely those areas are tourist attractions. The city of Naples does have a rundown look to it that adds to the negative perception, but don't let that prevent you from visiting a wonderful city that is a gateway to Pompeii, Capri, and the Amalfi Coast.

• Rammer100's Profile Photo

Naples In General

by Rammer100 Updated Mar 4, 2008

Naples in general is a horrible horrible place.

With no redeeming value. Avoid it at all cost if possible.

Your time and money is better spent someplace else.

The major industry in Naples is cheating and robbing tourists.

• dave_l_ransom's Profile Photo

Train Station

by dave_l_ransom Written Nov 25, 2007

Big problem with thieves and beggars. Don't make the mistake of thinking someone helping you with your baggage is doing so out of the goodness of their heart. After getting you to the train platform they will demand some outlandish amount for their efforts and when payment is refused the fun really begins. Pack light and never let your bags out of your hands.

• Trains

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Crossing the road

by toonsarah Written Nov 25, 2007

“See Naples and die”

– whoever first coined this phrase may not have been referring to the dangers of crossing the roads here, but they could have been! There appear at least to the uninitiated to be no rules, except to get to wherever you’re going as fast as possible – not easy given how crowded the roads are. For instance, we were pleased to see a pedestrian crossing on the Via Toledo at Piazza Dante, and even more impressed that its lights changed immediately it was pressed. However we soon realised that this made not the slightest difference, as cars and scooters would continue to drive through the red light unless someone had actually stepped on to the crossing. We gradually realised that this in fact was the only system for safely crossing the roads – simply do as the locals do and step out confidently, and they will stop. Obviously you can’t do this in fast moving traffic (a rarity here) and you do still need to look both ways, but unless you want to spend your visit standing at the kerb, you’ll need to take the plunge!

You also need to be careful in the narrow streets of the historic centre where pavements are either too narrow or non-existent. Listen out at all times for the tell-tale roar of a scooter behind you and be prepared to step aside – although again, watching the locals, few of them seem to bother with this nicety and simply trust that the scooter will go round them.

Actually, although at first I was intimidated by the traffic, especially the scooters, after a while I relaxed and became fascinated by it instead!

A street in the Centro Storico, Naples

• showe1966's Profile Photo

The infamous "Mattonella" tourist rip-off

by showe1966 Written Nov 5, 2007

The following is an infamous naples rip-off.
    It occurs in any place the local organized crime and petty criminals think might be frequented by tourists.
    I was approached at Garibaldi station , at the port and other such places.
    It works like this: A youth or other suspicious looking character runs up to you and shows you something like a rolex, a mobile phone or a car radio or similar and says he'll sell it to you for 100 euro. The implication is that it is stolen goods and he is trying to off-load it quick.
    you barter on price and he will try to hurry things along by dropping the price.
    He will show you it is working , but these guys are like magicians in that after you hand over the cash, he swaps that great looking stereo , watch, mobile phone or whatever it is for a brick , a mobile phone with no innards or similar and you are left with a brick in a box for your 50 euro !!
    Don't say i didn't warn you suckers....

• Santini738's Profile Photo

Warning,Narrow Streets

by Santini738 Written Jul 14, 2007

Naples has a long and wide street which is the main street.
    But there are narrow streets from this main streets and it is dangerous to travel in these narrow streets.
    As we told you can be captured or pulled into some houses in these narrow streets.

Narrow Streets Narrow Streets

• Crime - Like every city!

by giana123 Written Jun 22, 2007

Mixed views on the crime in Naples! Anyone in the world can be a victim of crime - just the wrong place at the wrong time! Naples is no different and the Neaopolitan people are lovely. Obviously if you're walking around looking like an obvious tourist (and how many do!!!!) then you're going to be a target like you would in any city at home.

To the guy who had his car stereo pinched - yeah me too - outside my house! - (And I dont live in Naples!)

Oh and dont wear your bag across your shoulder - theives now know you're a tourist - Italian women dont do it!

Dont accept help if you're unsure/buy from street traders or immigrants or feel sorry for the gypsies etc - Sounds harsh - but you have to be sensible - like in any other city!!!

Additionally, I live in the UK and have travelled to London many times. As an example, I've heard many reviews on the dangers of London for people travelling from abroad and I think "Wow - is that what your impression is? It's not like that at all! It's not that bad!" Same goes in Naples - majority of locals think different, yet there's crime everywhere and it's a small minority thats targeted

• Women's Travel

Instant Answers: Naples

• Jun 7, 2015 at 5:47 PM

I'm so terribly sorry to hear that this happened to you! Naples is not on our agenda and now I'm glad that it is not. I certainly hope we don't have any problems like what you experienced in the other towns and cities we'll be visiting in Italy. Thanks so much for answering.

• leics's Profile Photo
      Jun 8, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Crime happens everywhere in the world. Having walked Naples as a solo middle-aged female with no issues whatsoever, just as I have walked almost all the places I've visited, I really don't think Naples is any more 'dangerous' than e.g. London. Paris, NYC or Washington...and, to be frank, it is considerably less 'dangerous' than some places I've visited. To assume that the 'snatch and grab' crime reported below is 'common' simply because it happened once to one person is neither logical nor accurate.

By the way, Sorrento has its fair share of pickpockets and petty thieves, as does everywhere...and I had no problems there either.

So please relax about your Italian trip. Just use normal city commonsense, keeping your valuables in the hotel safe or in an inside pocket/under-clothing pouch and you'll be absolutely fine.

• Jun 7, 2015 at 3:01 PM

Handbag snatched right off my body by man on scooter - Hi, I just want to share my experience today in Naples. 5 minutes after arriving in Naples I had my handbag snatched from my chest/ shoulders by a man on a scooter. My boyfriend and I left the metro station and had a few minutes walk to our hotel. In this time we had been followed and targeted by this awful person.

So this is what happened just to give you some idea of what to look out for. When we got off at metro station called Cavour in Naples I had my bag in the safest place which was strapped over my shoulder and then pulled round in front of my body. This clearly is not enough to stop crime like this in naples! We knew where our hotel was so we started walking out the station. Within seconds a scooter turned sharply in front of me and my boyfriend which we both jumped out the way of and then committed thinking how odd the drivers behaviour was. We carried on walking down the next road (clearly the driver was then following us but on a separate road) and suddenly this same man on the scooter was driving straight at us as we crossed the road. My boyfriend even committed saying "that is the crazy scooter man from a minute ago". The driver again braked sharply in front of us and offered a hand gesture for my boyfriend to cross the road which he then crossed. Of course I assumed this meant I should also cross but when I started to cross the driver drove at me and with one hand reached out to me which I thought was him offering for me to also cross. It happened so suddenly but before I knew it the man sharply snatched at my handbag and broke it off the leather straps. He then drove off quickly leaving me in a state of shock with only my handbag strap left round my neck.

No matter how safe you think you are with you bag you are always at high risk of this type of crime in Naples especially around metro stations and tourist areas with back streets for the scooters to speed off down. We only came to naples so we can visit pompeii. I was recommended staying in sorrento but I read some reviews saying naples is safe. If you are reading this before booking I would strongly recommend never coming to naples as this type of crime is clearly very common and it could happen to you. If my bag did not snap then the man would have pulled me under his bike and this could have been fatal. Please please choose sorrento over naples any day....I know people say sorrento is full of tourist but I would prefer to see happy tourists than have my bag, credit cards, cash and new mobile phone stolen. On top of that I am now very scared to walk the streets of Naples.

Naples Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Naples warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Naples sightseeing.