Naples Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Naples

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo

Streetwise in Naples

by CliffClaven Written Aug 24, 2002

An early Baedeker guidebook to southern Italy wrote of Naples that 'the traveller is often tempted to doubt whether such a thing as honesty is known'. You wouldn't get away with such a comment in these politically correct days, but it is nevertheless perhaps still advisable to venture into Naples with a watchful eye. There is little risk of any real physical harm befalling the unwary traveller, but tourists are often the victims of pickpockets and 'scippatori', who snatch bags as they roar past on scooters and motor bikes.

• oneonta_ni's Profile Photo

First of all, Piazza...

by oneonta_ni Updated Aug 24, 2002

First of all, Piazza Garibaldi. This is the main train station and if you want to go to Pompeii, Herculaneum, Amalfi Coast, etc, you will go through here. If you arrive in Naples by train, you may wonder what sort of a city it is at first. This area was really dirty and there were loads of dodgy characters hanging about. I have heard that the hotels here...um...rent by the hour. Be very diligent and keep alert when in this area.

Next possible trouble spot is the bus. Italian buses are very crowded. Just when you think it isn't possible to fit any more people on, the driver stops and collects a dozen more. Since everyone is packed in, it would be very easy to lose your wallet and not notice it. The buses are very handy (not to mention quite cheap) so do use them - just be very careful.

Crossing the road: This is very easy, if a little intimidating at first. If you are standing at a crosswalk, the cars will not stop automatically for you. You have to step off the curb and stare at the drivers as you cross. They won't stop for you - most of the time they don't even slow down - but they will not hit you. The dents in the front of the cars are from hitting other cars, not people.:o)

• oneonta_ni's Profile Photo

Not really a warning or a...

by oneonta_ni Updated Aug 24, 2002

Not really a warning or a danger, but we found it difficult to find a good map and navigate the narrow streets of the historic centre. I am sure this is because there are so many small streets that a detailed map would be impossible. It is fun getting lost, though.:o)

• vonmilla's Profile Photo

Naples reportedly has a...

by vonmilla Written Aug 24, 2002

Naples reportedly has a lot of pickpockets and cashiers who will intentionally cheat you when they make change. In three trips to Naples, I never experienced either difficulty, but I've heard the problem is chronic.

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo

Ants seem to be particularly...

by cheekymarieh Written Sep 7, 2002

Ants seem to be particularly prevalent in this area. Don't put the remains of fruit or other food subsatnces in your waste bin. Otherwise you may end up with a line of ants invading.

Instant Answers: Naples

• Jun 7, 2015 at 5:47 PM

I'm so terribly sorry to hear that this happened to you! Naples is not on our agenda and now I'm glad that it is not. I certainly hope we don't have any problems like what you experienced in the other towns and cities we'll be visiting in Italy. Thanks so much for answering.

• leics's Profile Photo
      Jun 8, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Crime happens everywhere in the world. Having walked Naples as a solo middle-aged female with no issues whatsoever, just as I have walked almost all the places I've visited, I really don't think Naples is any more 'dangerous' than e.g. London. Paris, NYC or Washington...and, to be frank, it is considerably less 'dangerous' than some places I've visited. To assume that the 'snatch and grab' crime reported below is 'common' simply because it happened once to one person is neither logical nor accurate.

By the way, Sorrento has its fair share of pickpockets and petty thieves, as does everywhere...and I had no problems there either.

So please relax about your Italian trip. Just use normal city commonsense, keeping your valuables in the hotel safe or in an inside pocket/under-clothing pouch and you'll be absolutely fine.

• Jun 7, 2015 at 3:01 PM

Handbag snatched right off my body by man on scooter - Hi, I just want to share my experience today in Naples. 5 minutes after arriving in Naples I had my handbag snatched from my chest/ shoulders by a man on a scooter. My boyfriend and I left the metro station and had a few minutes walk to our hotel. In this time we had been followed and targeted by this awful person.

So this is what happened just to give you some idea of what to look out for. When we got off at metro station called Cavour in Naples I had my bag in the safest place which was strapped over my shoulder and then pulled round in front of my body. This clearly is not enough to stop crime like this in naples! We knew where our hotel was so we started walking out the station. Within seconds a scooter turned sharply in front of me and my boyfriend which we both jumped out the way of and then committed thinking how odd the drivers behaviour was. We carried on walking down the next road (clearly the driver was then following us but on a separate road) and suddenly this same man on the scooter was driving straight at us as we crossed the road. My boyfriend even committed saying "that is the crazy scooter man from a minute ago". The driver again braked sharply in front of us and offered a hand gesture for my boyfriend to cross the road which he then crossed. Of course I assumed this meant I should also cross but when I started to cross the driver drove at me and with one hand reached out to me which I thought was him offering for me to also cross. It happened so suddenly but before I knew it the man sharply snatched at my handbag and broke it off the leather straps. He then drove off quickly leaving me in a state of shock with only my handbag strap left round my neck.

No matter how safe you think you are with you bag you are always at high risk of this type of crime in Naples especially around metro stations and tourist areas with back streets for the scooters to speed off down. We only came to naples so we can visit pompeii. I was recommended staying in sorrento but I read some reviews saying naples is safe. If you are reading this before booking I would strongly recommend never coming to naples as this type of crime is clearly very common and it could happen to you. If my bag did not snap then the man would have pulled me under his bike and this could have been fatal. Please please choose sorrento over naples any day....I know people say sorrento is full of tourist but I would prefer to see happy tourists than have my bag, credit cards, cash and new mobile phone stolen. On top of that I am now very scared to walk the streets of Naples.

Naples Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Naples warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Naples sightseeing.