Naples Warnings and Dangers

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Crossing the road

by toonsarah Written Nov 25, 2007

“See Naples and die”

– whoever first coined this phrase may not have been referring to the dangers of crossing the roads here, but they could have been! There appear at least to the uninitiated to be no rules, except to get to wherever you’re going as fast as possible – not easy given how crowded the roads are. For instance, we were pleased to see a pedestrian crossing on the Via Toledo at Piazza Dante, and even more impressed that its lights changed immediately it was pressed. However we soon realised that this made not the slightest difference, as cars and scooters would continue to drive through the red light unless someone had actually stepped on to the crossing. We gradually realised that this in fact was the only system for safely crossing the roads – simply do as the locals do and step out confidently, and they will stop. Obviously you can’t do this in fast moving traffic (a rarity here) and you do still need to look both ways, but unless you want to spend your visit standing at the kerb, you’ll need to take the plunge!

You also need to be careful in the narrow streets of the historic centre where pavements are either too narrow or non-existent. Listen out at all times for the tell-tale roar of a scooter behind you and be prepared to step aside – although again, watching the locals, few of them seem to bother with this nicety and simply trust that the scooter will go round them.

Actually, although at first I was intimidated by the traffic, especially the scooters, after a while I relaxed and became fascinated by it instead!

A street in the Centro Storico, Naples

• Lacristina's Profile Photo

Crime in Naples

by Lacristina Updated Jul 21, 2004

Yes, it exists. Most likely, nothing will happen to you. But you should be aware of what can happen and take precautions

For example, I think of myself as a seasoned traveler, used to dealing with gypsies and con artists in Rome, Barcelona, and other places, but was unprepared for the scippatori (snatchers) in Naples.

I was taking a picture, near the Duomo, in broad daylight, when a young man stole the camera out of my hands and took off on a motorcycle. I think it was the fact that I was a woman and alone which made me vulnerable. Yes there were people around (Italians) within 20-30 feet of me, who saw what happened and no, no one did a thing. (I did report it to the police - which was an interesting experience in itself. They were very kind but of course could do nothing but fill out papers.)

By the way, the train station in Naples is particularly dangerous. An Italian friend of mine had his wallet lifted there while his hands were filled with his wife's and daughter's suitcases. Con artists will try to "help" you. I just tell them to "go away" (vye VEE-ah.")

I know this all sounds horrible -- but Naples does have some museums and sites that are really worth visiting. I wouldn't hesitate to go to see these again. But be forewarned and act accordingly.

For emergencies, you can flag down a police car or call the police (carabinieri) by dialing the local emergency number, 112; you can speak to an operator in English.

The main police station is at Via Medina 75 (tel 081.794.1111); you can also report crimes at the small police station in Stazione Centrale.

• ruki's Profile Photo

Pick pockets

by ruki Updated Feb 3, 2007

Like many big cities and this have a lot of pick pockets. They use Vespa motorcycle..You must be careful especially when you are in the public bus, tram, on the streets...station.. Watch your wallets, documents!!!!!
    The best way is to keep money on different places, in your pockets, bags and other places and go always with group.

• delfo767's Profile Photo

wallet picking and big deal

by delfo767 Written Oct 26, 2004

Naples is world widly unfortunatly famous for stoled wallet and big "PACCO"

let's talk about it:

POCKET PICKING

the most dangerous places are bus, metro , markets... commonly where ever people is pressed on people and it's easy to let your wallet slide out

so put it in an internal pocket if you have any
    or espcially if you travel in group any body have a look to the other bag

if somebody push you
    check quikly at your wallet;)
    that's a smart way to stole it

before it was quite common also the "scippo"
    guys on a vespa running fast take your bag (usually lady bag) or your clock for example if you are driving in the trafic

BIG DEAL

especially in the main train station area (napoli centrale - piazza garibaldi)
    you will be for sure asked to have a big deal

there is people trying to sell (especially to tourist but not only) digital camera and video camera, mobile phones.All of them are the last model , all of them at a very good price.
    They keep them in hands and let you try them.They let you put your sim card in the phone and make a call for example.So if the shop price is 10 you will pay 2.
    Than the *** happen....you go home...open the bag and then you find a brick inside!!!
    yes...a brick!
    that's what they call "pacco" and it means that you have lost your money and have no chances to have it back.
    When you gave him the money he (they are so skilled!) have changed your object with a different one giving you the "pacco".

You will probably also find people jokin "alle tre carte" the game of the 3 cards.They are all friends.You will never win even if it looks very easy to win.The only solution is not play(!).

BY the way

this tip is not to scare you
    i think that if you are intelligent and smart enough you would never fall in this situation anyway.
    Napoli it's a school of life
    where it's hard to survive and you don't know if it's fault of these "thieves" or fault of who fall in this trapes

Enjoy napoli
    and don't be scared;)

• Trains

• Naples, It. muggings

by psg1979 Written Jul 30, 2006

don't underestimate warnings about the area around Piazza Garibaldi (train station) being dangerous. my friend and I were mugged at gunpoint by a pair of guys who circled the block a couple times on their scooters before targeting us. Naples is far more menacing than other large Italian cities; certainly in a league of its own crime-wise. and it has a disturbingly third world feel to it (a bit of an indictment of Italy, I'd say). The trams are also literally swarming with pickpockets.

• Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo

Be aware about the robbers riding on the motorbike

by Oleg_D. Updated Sep 3, 2014

I’m no eager to say but I must admit that first time for fifty years my wife became a victim of the crime when a robber sitting on the passenger sit of the motorbike behind the driver tore away the golden chain with the golden pendent with pearl from her neck. So, here in the photos you can see the motorbike with its license plate number used by the criminals. Chain and pendant were not expensive, the price was approximately about 600 Euros but we were very disappointed. So, how that crime was committed? On August 22, 2014 about 17:25 hours we were walking eastward along Via Vittorio Emanuele III in front of Castel Nuovo. When we crossed Via Giuseppe Pisanelli then driver of a motorbike with license plate number CC 41321 made his left turn from Via Vittorio Emanuele III to Via Giuseppe Pisanelli. He had to yield the passage to pedestrians but failed to do that as majority of local drivers. My wife was the first and I stood couple paces behind her. When motorbike was passing by then the passenger sitting behind the driver stretched his right hand toward my wife. I thought he just was trying to prevent her cross the street in order to avoid a collision. Then motorbike passed I noticed that the passenger snatched the golden chain from the neck of my wife. Motorbike driver pressed gas and escaped along Via Giuseppe Pisanelli toward Via Ruggero Leoncavallo. I was abused very much because everything happened very suddenly I could do nothing. When I realized what had happened then was too late to do something. The only thing I could do was to take a picture of robbers and their motorbike.
    Conclusion is very neat and simple – don’t try to learn that lesson personally use our experience. I could kill both robbers with my bare hands if I could catch them but I couldn’t because there were nobody to fight when I realized what has happened and now I can only bite my own elbows in furious anger.

• Wowmoment's Profile Photo

Watch the traffic!

by Wowmoment Updated Apr 13, 2008

All over Naples life as a pedestrian is pretty fraught! Shall we say the locals drive very exuberantly and there are plenty of vehicles.

Just walking along pavements is not easy, parking is rather random with very little space to get by on foot, often it's necessary to step into the street!

I set off at least one motorbike alarm just trying to squeeze by!

In the narrow streets of the Centro Storico you might think you are safe but cars pass even here, pinning you to the sides and scooters and motorbikes rush by at astonishing speeds.

Parking Naples style - get out of that! Typical Street Scene Not too Narrow for Cars or Scooters!

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo

Rambo go home!

by CliffClaven Written Mar 19, 2003

Okay, okay, this is only going to fuel the Americans' inveterate paranoia - but why should they care what the world thinks when they so often don't give a damn what the world thinks. On a more positive note, any American who is willing to take an amused rather than a redneck view of such a sign will probably find the Neapolitans standing around laughing with him.

Rambo go home

• Aloe9678's Profile Photo

Cameras mysteriously jumping overboard...

by Aloe9678 Written Aug 25, 2009

On our Metro del Mare trip from Napoli to Amalfi, some of the gentlemen (whom we will now call the Pirates of the Mediterranean), took photos on my friend's camera for us. Then it was mysteriously gone. The next morning, she also realized her debit card was missing. We reported the missing camera right away. When we went to buy tickets to Sorrento, hoping for a better trip, they mentioned her reporting her wallet missing. We hadn't reported that. So it seems to us that unless the gentlemen have psychic powers, the only way they would know that she was missing something other than her camera would be if they were the reason it was missing.

Be careful with your stuff! The boats are otherwise a pretty inexpensive way to get around the Bay of Naples.

Possibly the

• deebum25's Profile Photo

Crossing the street

by deebum25 Written Sep 25, 2008

I read many things that said when crossing the street in Naples, SHOW NO FEAR. That's absolutely correct. If you go to a crosswalk or if you have a lot of nerve step into the street when there is no traffic coming, DO NOT STOP until you get to the other side. The cars will stop. I know it's hard to believe but they will actually stop. Do watch out for the buses as they cannot stop on a dime. We watched people run red lights because there were no pedestrians in the crosswalk so when we crossed the street we would look directly at the vehicles that were coming toward us. We don't know if that had any impact or not but it worked for us!

• Work Abroad
    • Study Abroad

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

Don't follow him!

by HispanicYob Written Oct 6, 2008

It all started when me and a friend of mine were looking for a place that sells stamps in Naples. We were just stuck in one spot when this middle-aged bloke came up to us and asked us what we needed. We told him we needed to find a place that sold stamps. So, he didn't take us very far to a place that we had passed previously. We did our thing and when we came out, he expected a tip from us! Yes, he wanted money for his services. If someone approaches you and asks if you need help, resist. Unless it's a tourist official or a police officer or something, kindly say no, "grazie" and walk away unless you want to pay some stranger some of your hard-earned Euros. Naples is a very congested city and like all cities, not everyone can be trusted. Heed these words. OH! And in case you don't know, stamps can be purchased at tobacco shops here in Naples.

• Singles
    • Study Abroad

• Lcannar's Profile Photo

Train station/Piazza Garibaldi

by Lcannar Written Jul 20, 2006

This was really the only nasty part of town we found. Right around the train station and Piazza Garibaldi. We never felt threatened, but it was ugly and full of street sellers who really couldn't take no for an answer. But for all the dire warnings about how rough a city Naples is, we felt very safe--even at night. Everywhere, the people were friendly and helpful.

• Witty_Alias's Profile Photo

Don't Pull Over

by Witty_Alias Written Apr 9, 2004

IF you are in Naples and rent a nice car, someone might flag you down to tell you something is wrong with your car. DO NOT PULL OVER! This is a new technique used to get you out of your car and steal it. Another is someone may be stranded on the side of the road with a "broken" car. Same technique. The most brazen though is that if you're at an intersection, someone may rear end you so that you will get out of your car. Car jackings have also become popular of late.

• School Holidays

• dave_l_ransom's Profile Photo

Train Station

by dave_l_ransom Written Nov 25, 2007

Big problem with thieves and beggars. Don't make the mistake of thinking someone helping you with your baggage is doing so out of the goodness of their heart. After getting you to the train platform they will demand some outlandish amount for their efforts and when payment is refused the fun really begins. Pack light and never let your bags out of your hands.

• Trains

• sargentjeff's Profile Photo

Getting a Window Wash at Traffic Lights

by sargentjeff Written Nov 30, 2002

You can be sure that in many spots around Naples someone will try to wash your car windows, but I'm not convinced they were ever cleaner afterward. Anyway, to avoid "having" to pay the guy some money, just turn on your windshield wipers and repeat "No, No" as many times as it takes. They will also sell you tissues, cigarette lighters and air fresheners. If you need a pack of tissue, go ahead and pay the guy a Euro. Just know and expect this activity while in Naples

Like some dirty water on your windows?

Instant Answers: Naples

Comments

Naples Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Naples warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Naples sightseeing.