Naples Warnings and Dangers

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Naples

• oneonta_ni's Profile Photo

Not really a warning or a...

by oneonta_ni Updated Aug 24, 2002

Not really a warning or a danger, but we found it difficult to find a good map and navigate the narrow streets of the historic centre. I am sure this is because there are so many small streets that a detailed map would be impossible. It is fun getting lost, though.:o)

• oneonta_ni's Profile Photo

First of all, Piazza...

by oneonta_ni Updated Aug 24, 2002

First of all, Piazza Garibaldi. This is the main train station and if you want to go to Pompeii, Herculaneum, Amalfi Coast, etc, you will go through here. If you arrive in Naples by train, you may wonder what sort of a city it is at first. This area was really dirty and there were loads of dodgy characters hanging about. I have heard that the hotels here...um...rent by the hour. Be very diligent and keep alert when in this area.

Next possible trouble spot is the bus. Italian buses are very crowded. Just when you think it isn't possible to fit any more people on, the driver stops and collects a dozen more. Since everyone is packed in, it would be very easy to lose your wallet and not notice it. The buses are very handy (not to mention quite cheap) so do use them - just be very careful.

Crossing the road: This is very easy, if a little intimidating at first. If you are standing at a crosswalk, the cars will not stop automatically for you. You have to step off the curb and stare at the drivers as you cross. They won't stop for you - most of the time they don't even slow down - but they will not hit you. The dents in the front of the cars are from hitting other cars, not people.:o)

• pickpockets and touts

by maybetara Written Mar 21, 2003

Pickpockets apparently are common in Naples. Although I didnt encounter any during my visit, I've been warned of the danger of keeping money and valuables in shallow pockets and easily accessed bag pockets.

Walking along the shopping streets in Napoli city, we were accosted by a tout who kept trying to force a 'lucky charm' into our hands and followed us for about almost 10 minutes. He turned a little aggressive when we kept saying no. We held tight to our belongings the whole time, in case his other friend behind us, took them while we were distracted.

• extrajoce's Profile Photo

Insecurity in Staccanapoli

by extrajoce Written May 19, 2003
    Graffiti on via dei Tribunali

One of the less attractive aspects of Staccanapoli is the many graffiti with which the walls are covered in this part of town. This may be due to all the small alleys, which make it hard for the police to wach over. Some of these streets may make more than a visitor uncomfortable, as do the graffiti, so stay with the crowds and in good company. Common sense.

• sissah's Profile Photo

Thieves and scams...

by sissah Updated Feb 16, 2004

Watch your wallet at all times in Naples, especially if you get out of the downtown train station and wander around. Put the wallet in the front pocket or make sure you've got a money belt on. You won't even realize how fast it'll be gone. Also, there's a really big scam that they'll sell you a nice camera (or whatever) for, like, 20 euros. Now, you'll think they've wrapped it up, and you'll go on your way and get home and unwrap a brick. My friend knew about the scam, but tried to beat them anyway, getting all up in their faces when they were putting the "camera" in his bag. I told him he was a dumbass, but he did it anyway, and spent his 20 euro on a... brick! Seriously, though, pickpockets are really bad here. Watch yourself.

• polardabar's Profile Photo

Drivers?! I don't think so...

by polardabar Updated Jul 21, 2004

You better get used to the way of driving in Napoli the second you set a foot on the street! Scooters, cars, trucks, old ladies - whatever! It's just too busy & crazy! But it gives the city a special charm... :)

• travelnut71's Profile Photo

Piazza Garibaldi is seedy at night, be careful!

by travelnut71 Written Sep 21, 2011

There is a lot of pickpocketing here and people running off with your bags. This place is a melting pot for everyone who has business intentions, like selling you fake purses and watches, to some who just want to run off with your own. If you are careful and keep steer and distance with people, nothing will happen, but if you are not, just be careful! There is a Carbinieri office in the area (police). If you feel threatened or something happened, just go see them. If someone bothers you, tell them you will go call the carbinieri. Be aware of scams. I have encountered a white fellow from East Europe with a luggage in his hand coming up to me in this square in broad daylight. He asked me how to get to a certain hotel. He spoke in English with an accent. I replied in Italian, dialect too and a stern voice that I didn't have time to help. My gut feeling was right. He left me alone. He went to another tourist, and then I saw him walking in a small street with them. The tourist was leading them to where he wanted, a small street. Then I saw him running off with a camera bag and a purse in the opposite direction! Some people may purposely as you a question to see if you speak English and study your body language to see if you can be an easy victim. Beware. If they need help. Be polite, just tell them there is a police office around the corner and maybe they can help there. Just saying this shows them that you may be aware of the area and a threat to them if they harm or steal from you. Refrain from saying where you are from, give as little information as possible. Usually when someone abroad asks you where you are from and they are providing you a service, sadly, they are calculating how much more they can charge you. Sometimes they even ask you if it's your first time there.. usually cab drivers do this.. never say it's your first time and always pretend you know where it is and how long it takes to get there, do your research and tell him the distance and time and that you have been there before. They are less likely to charge you a ridiculous price or take you around the city. This applies to any city in the world!

• Business Travel

• ipad and iphone 5 scam

by nexia201 Written Jun 5, 2013

Was stopped by a guy near pjazza Garibaldi ,this guy was trying to sell me an ipad and iphone for 300 euro showed me recipts for it and i was keeping an eye on the bag and every time i tried to open the bag to check it he seemed to take it out of my hand ! it was 4 of us looking at the bag and he still managed to change the stuff inside for 2 stones and a tile when he lowered the price to 150 euro and we agreed he just vanished with the help of other assholes !!! if anyone aproach you with stuff like this just tell them to *** off no need to be polite with such scam they ***ed up my holiday i dont know why criuse liners still stop here to have their clients robbed !!

• Cruise

• Luggage stolen off of train!

by eufemia3 Written Jul 24, 2013

Beware Of Luggage Being stolen off the train!!!! My luggage was stolen off the train, I safely got on and put it in the luggage holding area and when I arrived to my destination it was not there. The police was no help Napoli Central is filled with low down criminals. The police only said make a report and they obviously by their laughter have no intention of finding my luggage. This is a disaster all my personal belongings were in there. I am distressed. Always keep your luggage next to you even on the train. Look out for suspicious ppl on the train leaving with your luggage at every stop. I hope this avoids someone from going thru this experience.

• Beware Naples pickpockets.

by moiknowles Written Sep 14, 2013

We were staying in Sorrento for two weeks and travelled to Naples on two separate days. Three unconnected gangs of pickpockets targeted us at different times. They each used specific tactics - posing as friendly locals, following us onto the metro and trying to steal from our back packs and one even slid his hand round my friends torso to try and steal from his body belt. They know their trade and are very clever. We were aware and protected ourselves by burying anything valuable - from money to cameras - at the bottom of our back packs and always looked out for one another. One group of persistent thieves had an air of callousness that suggested the potential for violence if they had caught us on a lonely or dark street.
    This is so reminiscent of New York in the 1970's.

• Beware Naples pickpockets.

by moiknowles Written Sep 14, 2013

This is so reminiscent of New York in the 1970's.

• Not dangerous!

by srsaxton Written Mar 26, 2014

I went to Rome and Naples in September of 2012 as a 40-something single woman. Before going, I read all the information I could find about Naples. Not surprisingly, some people love it, and some people hate it. I think I am closer to the love side. There is graffiti. Sometimes there is trash in the streets. People hang out outside. Coming from the US, we usually consider those hallmarks of a bad area, but in Naples it’s really not. Every morning I would head out for my day and see normal people going to work, opening shops, cleaning, etc. Starting about 5 or 6 pm, it seemed like everyone went outside. The city came alive. For me, it was a bit of sensory overload. If you sat back and watched though, whole communities went outside to socialize. There were people with their dogs, standing around and talking. Children were playing. Elderly men and women would sit and talk or play games. Teenagers would hang out. The thing is, though, everyone did it. I never felt the least bit unsafe in Naples. Of course, I made an effort to stay in mostly residential areas, so I saw real people living real lives. I found the people warm and very friendly. I visited Ischia, Pompeii and Herculaneum while I was in Naples. I never saw anything dangerous or worrisome, even at the tourist destinations. I would absolutely go back. Be aware. Use caution like you would in any other big city. Do not act like you have a lot of money. Above all, do not act nervous or be nervous. Go to Naples with an open mind and enjoy the city and people for what they are.

• Trains
    • Museum Visits
    • Archeology

• wandabendik's Profile Photo

Keep hold of your bags.

by wandabendik Written Sep 28, 2010

We were told theft is rife, so we were very cautious.
    As we were walking the streets to find our hotel we saw a woman chasing a gang of boys, who had just stolen a bag from her friend.
    So beware, beware, beware.

• nomad12321's Profile Photo

Naples has lots of crime

by nomad12321 Written Apr 29, 2006

Always be careful, keep your wallet in your front pocket, and your purse very close to you, not at your side. If driving be sure not leave anything out, not even cigarrettes or sun glasses. I've never had a problem in Naples with theft, except for the one time I forgot to take the face plate off my stereo. As long as you're careful you shouldn't have a problem. Naples is a great city with a lot of character.

• !!THIEVES!!! If you don't...

by sillyphish Written Aug 26, 2002

!!THIEVES!!! If you don't stand next to it, it's going to be stolen. I mean anything. Purses, cars, wallets, you name it someone will try to steal it. Luckily their is very little violent crime so its not dangerous just a painin the ass.

Instant Answers: Naples

Comments

Naples Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Naples warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Naples sightseeing.