Naples Warnings and Dangers

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Naples

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo

Streetwise in Naples

by CliffClaven Written Aug 24, 2002

An early Baedeker guidebook to southern Italy wrote of Naples that 'the traveller is often tempted to doubt whether such a thing as honesty is known'. You wouldn't get away with such a comment in these politically correct days, but it is nevertheless perhaps still advisable to venture into Naples with a watchful eye. There is little risk of any real physical harm befalling the unwary traveller, but tourists are often the victims of pickpockets and 'scippatori', who snatch bags as they roar past on scooters and motor bikes.

• SeaBreezeUSA's Profile Photo

Common Sense...

by SeaBreezeUSA Updated Sep 8, 2002

There are places, like in any city, where you should not go or should be careful. But with common sense, you should have no problems. Watch out late at night, especially if you are a woman or by yourself.

• oneonta_ni's Profile Photo

Not really a warning or a...

by oneonta_ni Updated Aug 24, 2002

Not really a warning or a danger, but we found it difficult to find a good map and navigate the narrow streets of the historic centre. I am sure this is because there are so many small streets that a detailed map would be impossible. It is fun getting lost, though.:o)

• oneonta_ni's Profile Photo

First of all, Piazza...

by oneonta_ni Updated Aug 24, 2002

First of all, Piazza Garibaldi. This is the main train station and if you want to go to Pompeii, Herculaneum, Amalfi Coast, etc, you will go through here. If you arrive in Naples by train, you may wonder what sort of a city it is at first. This area was really dirty and there were loads of dodgy characters hanging about. I have heard that the hotels by the hour. Be very diligent and keep alert when in this area.

Next possible trouble spot is the bus. Italian buses are very crowded. Just when you think it isn't possible to fit any more people on, the driver stops and collects a dozen more. Since everyone is packed in, it would be very easy to lose your wallet and not notice it. The buses are very handy (not to mention quite cheap) so do use them - just be very careful.

Crossing the road: This is very easy, if a little intimidating at first. If you are standing at a crosswalk, the cars will not stop automatically for you. You have to step off the curb and stare at the drivers as you cross. They won't stop for you - most of the time they don't even slow down - but they will not hit you. The dents in the front of the cars are from hitting other cars, not people.:o)

• vonmilla's Profile Photo

Naples reportedly has a...

by vonmilla Written Aug 24, 2002

Naples reportedly has a lot of pickpockets and cashiers who will intentionally cheat you when they make change. In three trips to Naples, I never experienced either difficulty, but I've heard the problem is chronic.

• nomad12321's Profile Photo

Naples has lots of crime

by nomad12321 Written Apr 29, 2006

Always be careful, keep your wallet in your front pocket, and your purse very close to you, not at your side. If driving be sure not leave anything out, not even cigarrettes or sun glasses. I've never had a problem in Naples with theft, except for the one time I forgot to take the face plate off my stereo. As long as you're careful you shouldn't have a problem. Naples is a great city with a lot of character.

• polardabar's Profile Photo

Drivers?! I don't think so...

by polardabar Updated Jul 21, 2004

You better get used to the way of driving in Napoli the second you set a foot on the street! Scooters, cars, trucks, old ladies - whatever! It's just too busy & crazy! But it gives the city a special charm... :)

• !!THIEVES!!! If you don't...

by sillyphish Written Aug 26, 2002

!!THIEVES!!! If you don't stand next to it, it's going to be stolen. I mean anything. Purses, cars, wallets, you name it someone will try to steal it. Luckily their is very little violent crime so its not dangerous just a painin the ass.

• lourdesmaria's Profile Photo

When driving from Naples to...

by lourdesmaria Written Aug 26, 2002

When driving from Naples to Agropoli, and from there on to the Amalfi Coast, take great care as the roads are high and winding along the mountains.

Here is a photo of the road as we drove from Agropoli to Amalfi.

• pickpockets and touts

by maybetara Written Mar 21, 2003

Pickpockets apparently are common in Naples. Although I didnt encounter any during my visit, I've been warned of the danger of keeping money and valuables in shallow pockets and easily accessed bag pockets.

Walking along the shopping streets in Napoli city, we were accosted by a tout who kept trying to force a 'lucky charm' into our hands and followed us for about almost 10 minutes. He turned a little aggressive when we kept saying no. We held tight to our belongings the whole time, in case his other friend behind us, took them while we were distracted.

• extrajoce's Profile Photo

Insecurity in Staccanapoli

by extrajoce Written May 19, 2003

One of the less attractive aspects of Staccanapoli is the many graffiti with which the walls are covered in this part of town. This may be due to all the small alleys, which make it hard for the police to wach over. Some of these streets may make more than a visitor uncomfortable, as do the graffiti, so stay with the crowds and in good company. Common sense.

Graffiti on via dei Tribunali

• sissah's Profile Photo

Thieves and scams...

by sissah Updated Feb 16, 2004

Watch your wallet at all times in Naples, especially if you get out of the downtown train station and wander around. Put the wallet in the front pocket or make sure you've got a money belt on. You won't even realize how fast it'll be gone. Also, there's a really big scam that they'll sell you a nice camera (or whatever) for, like, 20 euros. Now, you'll think they've wrapped it up, and you'll go on your way and get home and unwrap a brick. My friend knew about the scam, but tried to beat them anyway, getting all up in their faces when they were putting the "camera" in his bag. I told him he was a dumbass, but he did it anyway, and spent his 20 euro on a... brick! Seriously, though, pickpockets are really bad here. Watch yourself.

• wandabendik's Profile Photo

Keep hold of your bags.

by wandabendik Written Sep 28, 2010

We were told theft is rife, so we were very cautious.
    As we were walking the streets to find our hotel we saw a woman chasing a gang of boys, who had just stolen a bag from her friend.
    So beware, beware, beware.

• travelnut71's Profile Photo

Piazza Garibaldi is seedy at night, be careful!

by travelnut71 Written Sep 21, 2011

There is a lot of pickpocketing here and people running off with your bags. This place is a melting pot for everyone who has business intentions, like selling you fake purses and watches, to some who just want to run off with your own. If you are careful and keep steer and distance with people, nothing will happen, but if you are not, just be careful! There is a Carbinieri office in the area (police). If you feel threatened or something happened, just go see them. If someone bothers you, tell them you will go call the carbinieri. Be aware of scams. I have encountered a white fellow from East Europe with a luggage in his hand coming up to me in this square in broad daylight. He asked me how to get to a certain hotel. He spoke in English with an accent. I replied in Italian, dialect too and a stern voice that I didn't have time to help. My gut feeling was right. He left me alone. He went to another tourist, and then I saw him walking in a small street with them. The tourist was leading them to where he wanted, a small street. Then I saw him running off with a camera bag and a purse in the opposite direction! Some people may purposely as you a question to see if you speak English and study your body language to see if you can be an easy victim. Beware. If they need help. Be polite, just tell them there is a police office around the corner and maybe they can help there. Just saying this shows them that you may be aware of the area and a threat to them if they harm or steal from you. Refrain from saying where you are from, give as little information as possible. Usually when someone abroad asks you where you are from and they are providing you a service, sadly, they are calculating how much more they can charge you. Sometimes they even ask you if it's your first time there.. usually cab drivers do this.. never say it's your first time and always pretend you know where it is and how long it takes to get there, do your research and tell him the distance and time and that you have been there before. They are less likely to charge you a ridiculous price or take you around the city. This applies to any city in the world!

• Business Travel

• Luggage stolen off of train!

by eufemia3 Written Jul 24, 2013

Beware Of Luggage Being stolen off the train!!!! My luggage was stolen off the train, I safely got on and put it in the luggage holding area and when I arrived to my destination it was not there. The police was no help Napoli Central is filled with low down criminals. The police only said make a report and they obviously by their laughter have no intention of finding my luggage. This is a disaster all my personal belongings were in there. I am distressed. Always keep your luggage next to you even on the train. Look out for suspicious ppl on the train leaving with your luggage at every stop. I hope this avoids someone from going thru this experience.

Instant Answers: Naples

• Aug 31, 2015 at 8:32 AM

Any Major city any where in the world HAS CRIME . This city is no different USE YOUR HEAD period, be a little street wise. Dont walk around with any jewels on you and don't stop and talk to anyone trying to get you to buy something or looking for a hand out. I have been to this city 3 times and stay in the Centro every time LOVE THIS CITY. And never have had a problem ITS A OLD BIG CITY I come from New York and its just as bad there, and I am just as street wise there people are so funny Rome to us was worse then Napoli. The people the food the colors the history is fantastic in this city. So if you don't want to come there great we do every year , your loss. As far as the graffiti there form of art and its all over ITALY. Read about it. To me Napoli is the real Italy not a tourist trap. And they have there crime to. This whole world is changing. Stay home and live in fear, up to you. When its your time its your time there or in your bed.

• goodfish's Profile Photo
      Aug 31, 2015 at 8:48 AM

Hello, Caroline, and welcome to Virtual Tourist! You've posted some wise words for travelers to Italy - and Naples in particular - and it's very nice to have another voice urging simple caution and not fear! Please think about creating some of your own VT pages with tips and reviews about the city you enjoy so much? I'm sure you have much you could share with us!

• Jun 7, 2015 at 5:47 PM

I'm so terribly sorry to hear that this happened to you! Naples is not on our agenda and now I'm glad that it is not. I certainly hope we don't have any problems like what you experienced in the other towns and cities we'll be visiting in Italy. Thanks so much for answering.

• leics's Profile Photo
      Jun 8, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Crime happens everywhere in the world. Having walked Naples as a solo middle-aged female with no issues whatsoever, just as I have walked almost all the places I've visited, I really don't think Naples is any more 'dangerous' than e.g. London. Paris, NYC or Washington...and, to be frank, it is considerably less 'dangerous' than some places I've visited. To assume that the 'snatch and grab' crime reported below is 'common' simply because it happened once to one person is neither logical nor accurate.

By the way, Sorrento has its fair share of pickpockets and petty thieves, as does everywhere...and I had no problems there either.

So please relax about your Italian trip. Just use normal city commonsense, keeping your valuables in the hotel safe or in an inside pocket/under-clothing pouch and you'll be absolutely fine.

• Jun 7, 2015 at 3:01 PM

Handbag snatched right off my body by man on scooter - Hi, I just want to share my experience today in Naples. 5 minutes after arriving in Naples I had my handbag snatched from my chest/ shoulders by a man on a scooter. My boyfriend and I left the metro station and had a few minutes walk to our hotel. In this time we had been followed and targeted by this awful person.

So this is what happened just to give you some idea of what to look out for. When we got off at metro station called Cavour in Naples I had my bag in the safest place which was strapped over my shoulder and then pulled round in front of my body. This clearly is not enough to stop crime like this in naples! We knew where our hotel was so we started walking out the station. Within seconds a scooter turned sharply in front of me and my boyfriend which we both jumped out the way of and then committed thinking how odd the drivers behaviour was. We carried on walking down the next road (clearly the driver was then following us but on a separate road) and suddenly this same man on the scooter was driving straight at us as we crossed the road. My boyfriend even committed saying "that is the crazy scooter man from a minute ago". The driver again braked sharply in front of us and offered a hand gesture for my boyfriend to cross the road which he then crossed. Of course I assumed this meant I should also cross but when I started to cross the driver drove at me and with one hand reached out to me which I thought was him offering for me to also cross. It happened so suddenly but before I knew it the man sharply snatched at my handbag and broke it off the leather straps. He then drove off quickly leaving me in a state of shock with only my handbag strap left round my neck.

No matter how safe you think you are with you bag you are always at high risk of this type of crime in Naples especially around metro stations and tourist areas with back streets for the scooters to speed off down. We only came to naples so we can visit pompeii. I was recommended staying in sorrento but I read some reviews saying naples is safe. If you are reading this before booking I would strongly recommend never coming to naples as this type of crime is clearly very common and it could happen to you. If my bag did not snap then the man would have pulled me under his bike and this could have been fatal. Please please choose sorrento over naples any day....I know people say sorrento is full of tourist but I would prefer to see happy tourists than have my bag, credit cards, cash and new mobile phone stolen. On top of that I am now very scared to walk the streets of Naples.

Naples Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Naples warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Naples sightseeing.