Pompeii Tourist Traps

Menu at Brothel

by windoweb Written Nov 9, 2010
    Part of the Brothel Menu

Erotic fresco.

The brothel was named the Lupanare — from lupa (she-wolf), the colloquial Latin term for a prostitute. Prices were posted outside the building, which had three entrances, and the frescoes depict the sexual services on offer.

• Wine Tasting

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Guide or No Guide?

by grandmaR Updated Jul 21, 2010

Grandson with map and audio tour

There are official licensed guides at the entrance to the site. Since I had been there on a prior visit (I don't remember whether I had a guide at that time or not), and knew the history of the site and had an idea of what I wanted to see. Plus my grandson had studied about the site and already had some knowledge of it.

Unique Suggestions: So I didn't hire a guide.

Fun Alternatives: I just got the map of the site and the audio guide.

• Cruise

• bip_231's Profile Photo

Parking in Pompeii

by bip_231 Updated Feb 25, 2009

Obviously this only affects those travellers who have rented a car, and are planning on driving into the Pompeii Scavi area. When we arrived in the area, we were directed into a car park at the bottom of the hill by a guy who looked official. After we'd pulled into the area my husband asked him how much it was to park there, and he said €10 for the whole day (approx. £8), but he tried to get us to eat in the restaurant too. We figured that it'd just be cheaper to pay the €10, and not get stung for anymore, so we did just that.

Just beware when entering the area, as it's quite busy and it's very easy to get carried away with people directing you. There is an official car park at the top of the hill, which I think is free, but check first. It wasn't that much on hindsight to park where we parked, but do your homework first, and enjoy your day!

Unique Suggestions: Just pay the €10 for parking, and don't bother to eat in the restaurant, as it seemed pretty expensive!

• cinthya_in_victoria's Profile Photo

Tours

by cinthya_in_victoria Written Jan 16, 2009

my tour company sucks!

If you really want to explore Pompeii, try to go on your own so you can walk it and visit it as much as you like at your own rythm. I was taken to Pompeii by our tour company but I couldn't see a lot of places I wanted to see :( so bad..

• azz8206's Profile Photo

Be careful of cab drivers at the Port of Naples

by azz8206 Updated May 12, 2008

When your ship is docked in Naples and you want to go to Pompeii and your taxi driver is trying to convince you that he'll drive you to Pompeii and back for 100 euros. He'll try to tell you how the train leaves later in the day and you won't have enough time to get back to your ship and it's going to cost you 25 euros for the two of you, don't believe it! It cost my wife and I 6.80 euros to go and 4.80 euros to come back and the ten euros we paid for the cab to the station Garibaldi and to the Circumvesuviana line. So it ended up costing me 21.60 euros for the trip. I also toured Pompeii for 5 hrs and we were docked from 8am to 5pm.

• Trains

• VDElvis's Profile Photo

Pompeii Maps

by VDElvis Written Feb 2, 2007

On the street leading up to the entrance, there will be a number of vendors trying to sell you maps and guide books to Pompeii. If you are not taking a guided tour, you will definitely want both. Make sure that the books that they are trying to sell you have a map.

Unique Suggestions: Watch the prices they offer you. One guy tried to sell me a book for 5 Euros, and when I came by a minute later, tried to get my to pay 8. Don't get hustled.

Fun Alternatives: You can always try and buy a guidebook in the bookstore at Pompeii. Check that out first, if you are wary of the vendors.

• babygrand's Profile Photo

Watch out as you enter!

by babygrand Written Jan 28, 2007

The entire entry to Pompeii is wall-to-wall vendors.

Unique Suggestions: When you get to the entrance, it would be easy to become discouraged. You do need a guide to get the most from this, but there is a reputable artisans shop within an enclosed courtyard, so if you have questions, you can go there. One thing you have to remember about Italy is that ONLY licensed guides can tell you the history of the places you visit. If you ask anyone questions, you actually put them at risk of being fined if they answer you. Don't know if this happens, but it's much better to arrange your guide in advance, then you'll have help going through the vendors, you will get the most from your experience, and you won't get into trouble by trying to attach to a paid tour, or be unable to get information about what you are seeing.

• beanbag's Profile Photo

Cameo Factory

by beanbag Written Dec 5, 2006

A tour that I took from Rome for a day in Pompeii included a brief stop at the Cameo Factory. It wasn't the factory, but a store front. I am not familiar with Cameo prices, but this seemed pricey to me. It also had other wood inlay products that also seemed much more pricey that what I had seen in Sorrento.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

If Vesuvius erupts. . .

by yooperprof Written Apr 22, 2005

intimations of immortality?

If Mt. Vesuvius starts suddenly to glow dark purple and begins spouting out a torrent of toxic gases and molten lava, tourists could easily be trapped here, just as the inhabitants were 1900 years ago.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Tour guides

by barryg23 Updated Jul 31, 2003

Pompei tour

At the entrance to Pompei, you will no doubt be met by many tourguides offering to show you around. I'd avoid these tours if possible as the entry to the ruins is already steep enough - 10 Euros. Also to be avoided are the numerous souvenir, food and drinks vendors around the station.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Brothel Paintings

by sandysmith Updated Jul 6, 2003

brothel frescoes

Of course what most people come to see inside the brothel are those paintings - lets just say they are "educational" ;-). There is a different one above each of the 10 cells cell - so you can choose which you would like!

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Lupanar

by sandysmith Updated Jul 6, 2003

Lupanare

This narrow street in Pompei has one of the most visited "houses" - the one with the overhang. Every town had one of these - a brothel - and Pompei was no different.
    For some reason this is one of the top tourist attractions in Pompei so there are always many people here!

• Architecture
    • Museum Visits

• TinKan's Profile Photo

At the end

by TinKan Written Feb 13, 2003

At the gate

At the end of your guided tour (if you took one) you will be brought to the exit gate where you will be given a sad story from your guide (ours did not) about how poor he/sh is.

We listened to a group of AARP folks from England get the story and watched them all hand over “extra” tips for the guide.

Fun Alternatives: If the guide is good then he/she will not ask for a tip.

Remember that Tipping is a choice and is not required.

• paulapes's Profile Photo

Natives trying to make a buck!

by paulapes Written Aug 31, 2002

When we found a parking space in a parking lot, the attendant offered us a "special"....if we had lunch at the restaurant located next to the parking lot, our parking would be free. Hmmmm, I thought about it for a minute and decided to go with just paying for the parking. Good thing....the bill for lunch there would have been quite a bit more than what I paid.

Unique Suggestions: Well, if I had gone for the lunch option, it would have been another lesson learned the hard way---I specialize in that type of lesson :o)

I wouldn't make too much of a fuss over it if this sort of thing happens to you---they are trying to make money, can't blame them for trying!

Fun Alternatives: Stopping to think would be a good idea :o)

• Beograd's Profile Photo

TICKETS

by Beograd Updated Dec 15, 2004

Pay attention to this: adults have to pay, but for children the entrance is free. Unless they are US citizens. The kids I mean... How fair is that?!

Instant Answers: Pompeii

• kenh465's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Don't be another victim of Pompeii:
    If you are approached by a friendly man who starts giving you a free tour, full of interesting facts about the ruins, BEWARE! Once he has gained your trust he will offer to take you to see the "bodies." Referring of course to the plaster casts of the victims of the eruption that buried Pompeii. The man will direct you to follow him down a narrow side street, through a wooden gate to a closed area of the city. There you will be met by his partner, out of sight of the other tourists, and relieved of your cash and valuables or worse. Do not engage these friendly givers of information with offers to show you off tour extras. There is no law enforcement in the ruin. Your safety is in the company of the other tourists. There are plenty of "bodies" to see as you continue through the intended paths. My wife and I were able to recognize the scheme in the nick of time and quickly returned to the well travel areas of the ruin. This made our once friendly free tour guide and his now visible accomplice very upset.

• leics's Profile Photo
      Mar 9, 2013 at 8:57 AM

There are always those who will offer free (or paid) tours at sights and sites throughout the world. If you really must get a guide (it's not necessary in Pompeii, imo, not least because there are audio-guides available) do always make sure it's an official one, not just somebody hanging round the entrance who offers you a 'free' tour. You only very rarely get something for nothing in this world!

I am unsure as to why you think you were to be 'relieved of your valuables'? Or perhaps you have read somewhere on the internet about this happening to others? I have not come across such information. If you were concerned about these people then I assume you informed the site staff (there are plenty around about the site, as well as in the site offices)?

But I'm afraid I see absolutely no need for Pompeii to be patrolled by 'law enforcement' other than its own security staff (they do exist).

Pompeii Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Pompeii tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pompeii sightseeing.