Positano Restaurants

• Seafood is the speciality of the restaurant
    Seafood is the speciality of the...
    La Cambusa
    Fish is the specialty of La Cambusa

Most Recent Restaurants in Positano

• londonlover's Profile Photo

Bar Mulino: Fantastic food on the go

by londonlover Written Feb 2, 2008

Outside Bar Mulino

This is a little shop/cafe/coffeehouse, and right at the middle of town in Positano. The best cannoli I had on my trip, and fantastic espresso. They also have reasonably priced chilled soft drinks and bottled water, as well as other great-looking desserts in the cases. There are just a couple of tables inside the cafe, or stand outside and eat (or take it down to the beach and sit down).

• ian.and.victoira's Profile Photo

Da Aldofo: The Ocean on a plate!!

by ian.and.victoira Written Jan 20, 2008

You will either love or hate this place - people who want tip top service with yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir should stay away!! This is basically a family opening up their kitchen and their land to savvy food locals... the menu is in italian written on a blackboard on a small table - you come to the menu the menu doesn't come to you! I can speak pigeon Italian yet I found it easier to just look at what everyone else was eating. I chose the tuna cappaccio -which was out of this world. I always dine at top London sushi restaurants where the fish is very fresh, however Da Aldofo's surpasses all of these. This is without doubt the best fish restaurant I have ever eaten at... but restaurant just isn't the right word - check the website out to get a real feel! My hubby had a mixed fish platter which was divine - the salmon was perfectly cooked and silky smooth!
    For main course he had the prawns which were huge yet succulant, juicy and really flavoursome. However the dish that blew me away was the zuppe di cozze (mussle soup). This is a dish in positano which I had again and again - but this was by far the best version. Mussles Soup isn't actually a soup... it is a bowl of mussles with a tomato sauce (consisting of fresh tomatoes, garlic, basil and sometimes onion) on top as you eat the mussles and discard the shells you end up with an amazing pulp of flavours, which is mopped up with ciabatta and olive oil. Heaven!!
    We met 2 Americans and spent the rest of the afternoon chatting in the sun whilst drinking wine and supping on beers. We had a late afternoon swim in the clear ocean. How many restaurants let you stay for 6 hours without hassling you to move ?? I love this place - we are going to sorrento this year but coming all the way over to this hidden gem. It is so reasonable in price too - yes you have to pay for a sun lounger but in return you get a beach on your doorstep flexible service and a wonderful, wonderful experience that money cannot just buy! Thank you all at Aldofo - see you in September!!

Favorite Dish: Zuppe de Cozze and the Tuna Carpaccio - the flavours and the muscles came together in a sublime bowl of heaven and the tuna was so fresh it must have leapt on to my plate!!!

• Fishing
    • Beaches
    • Diving and Snorkeling

La Terrazze: Breathtaking atmosphere with great food

by ian.and.victoira Updated Jan 10, 2008

This restaurant is like marmite...you will either love it or hate it! If you are only interested in getting good food with relaxed service then this place ISNT for you... the dishes take a long while to come out... the waiters try their best to cover up the wait and are very attentive but it is obvious that they are experienced in the food coming out a very steady pace - this is clearly down to the chef wanting to ensure everthing is of a good standard and also in Italy if the company is good then the wait isn't a big deal...eating in this part of Italy is more like going round someones house for some supper... you get fed when the food is ready ... so if you are in a rush and not in great company then stay away!!
    The view is breathtaking... one of the best in positano (ladies take a wrap or a pashmina as it can get a bit chilly!!) and the atmosphere of the restaurant is lovely.
    The food does now have prices on the menu - there isn't reams of pages to sift through ... I always fell nervous when there is a long menu - how can all that food be cooked from scratch ...there were probably about 5 each for antipasti, primi pati and secondi patti, a good menu is quality not quantity... ...everything here is cooked fresh which is why it takes so long.

I disagree the food is just as good as elsewhere, the presentation and the way the dishes were executed was superior (only just) to most meals we had, however the atmosphere is very special, and it was the only restaurant we revisited in Positano... and they remembered us.

It isn't particularly cheap either (about €150 for 2 people) but come on you are on holiday, have a luxurious night enjoy the company of whoever you are with and just in dulge!!

Favorite Dish: The fillet of beef for main course and the king prawn antipasti were delicious...

• ian.and.victoira's Profile Photo

Caffe Positano: View, Service and Great Food!

by ian.and.victoira Written Sep 25, 2007

The staff at this place are lovely...maybe not great at filling up your wine, but hey over here it's very much a "ma casa, su casa" attitude...really helpful, smiley and not stuffy at all. The menu is quite extensive with some old favourites like prawn cocktail, however the marinated sardines are delicious. The menu was predominately fish, however there were some other dishes too. One delight was a Nepolitian Lasagne which has layers of Ricotta, ham and veal... another was the zuppe di cozze - mussles in a tomato sauce...delicious!!
    The best thing was that although I was stuffed I wanted to have a tiny piece of tirramisu...the waiter bought out the whole tray so I could select my own piece!!

The only thing about this place is that although it has a lovely view, it is right on the main road... however if you reserve a table upstairs right by the window you can still get a great view!

We will defo go back to this restaurant when we return next year

Favorite Dish: The tiramissu was amazing... the best i've ever had and the fact I could select my own portion was great!!

• daner1231's Profile Photo

Da Vincenzo: Good Touristy Food

by daner1231 Written May 30, 2007

The food was great, and the service was great as well. The view is wonderful as is the food. A little more on the expensive side, but worth it.

Favorite Dish: Bruschetta was great. Caprese salad with buffalo mozzarella. yummy! Save room becuase desserts cannot be passed up!

• La Tagliata: Great view and great food

by dariogquin Written Apr 3, 2007

View from Tagliata

We were there recently in March-07. The view and food was amazing. That night, they were doing a pre-fixe menu apparently because that's what "Mama" felt like doing that evening. We ended up with 5-8 different antipasti, a plate of 4 different pasta, a huge plate of grilled meats (their specialty), salad, french fries, a plate of 3 different kinds of dessert, pitcher of wine, bottled water, limoncello and espresso... all for 35 euro per person. Tagliata is very famous in Positano. Apparently, the Prime Minister has eaten there. Our hotel owner has eaten there and had their phone number handy. Have your hotel call and make a reservation. The restaurant will send a van to pick up/drop off at your hotel. It's worth it!

Favorite Dish: Antipasti and Grilled Meats

• flydogz's Profile Photo

La Tagliata: Great night out...you have to go

by flydogz Written Jan 11, 2007

Great atmosphere

If you stay in Positano, ask your hotel manager to arrange for a night out at La Tagliata. Save room in your tummy for the experience - 5 courses including beer/wine and dessert. During dinner and up to about 11pm, this great couple entertained with music and dancing. After the cooking is done, the family joins in the fun. Well worth the 35E per person and they even supply the transportation.

• Ristorante Max: Best Restaurant in Italy!!!

by usalady Written Nov 17, 2006

Ristorante Max (many think it is Cafe Max) is one of the most beautiful restaurants I have ever been to...and I have been all over the world. The concept is one-of-a-kind, not only because of its classy, yet comfortable atmosphere, but the warm and inviting family that runs it. The food is classic meditteranean cuisine. I loved the homemade pasta and bread. My mouth still waters when I think of it. The wine list is extensive (italian wines only). I would recommend trying to make reservations for the private wine cellar and doing a chefs tasting menu. They really know what they are doing here.

Favorite Dish: everything

• Wine Tasting

• londonlover's Profile Photo

La Cambusa: Best restaurant on the beach!

by londonlover Updated Oct 30, 2006

Outside the restaurant after a fantastic meal!

There are several restaurants vying for toursit business on the beachfront. All of them have great views, but La Cambusa (along with one other) has the advantage of being on the second "floor" overlooking the busy sidewalk. This way you can avoid having to watch a constant stream of people walk by, and you can enjoy the lovely view of the sea instead.

Besides all that, La Cambusa ranks in my top five food restaurants of all time--amazing quality, excellent portions, attentive and friendly service, incredibly al dente pasta, phenomenal bruschetta and tiramisu. Prices are sensible for this area, and the restaurant is attitude-free. A must-eat in Positano!

IMPORTANT: If you want dinner here, especially if you want to be near the front with the best view, make sure you make a reservation at least by early afternoon. Service is unrushed so you can have the table as long as you want it, meaning that once the restaurant is full its likely to stay that way all night!

• xristinaki's Profile Photo

on the beach.....: yummiest meal in Italy

by xristinaki Written Oct 13, 2006

view from the restaurant

This was our favorite meal in Italy. We had the seafood gnocci and seafood platter....we once ordered a seafood platter in sorrento, and only got a few clams and mussels. So i was pleasantly surprised to see a huge palte of calamari, sardines, mussels, clams, and some other sea creatures....It was just veryyyyy good. The gnocci was also amazing, the best i had! On top of the great food, we had the most amazing scenery. see pics below

This place is at the 'private' beach we went to...there are little boats (with a fish sign) that takes you to this beach free of charge. But you still have to pay for the sunbeds.

I'm sorry, but i didn't ge tthe name of the restaurant.
    we paid about 35 euros for two dishes, the fish plate and drinks...a great value!

• gmg61's Profile Photo

Santa Croce: Along the God's Path-The only restaurant

by gmg61 Written Sep 10, 2006

This is a normal restaurant, but it's highilight is that it's the only place where you can get food and water if you trek along the "Sentiero degli Dei". It's at the beginning or the end of the trail, dependinh on where you start on, Positano or Agerola.

It has a terrace where you can eat and enjoy a wonderful view on Positano, the coast and the islands of Li Galli and Capri

Favorite Dish: Basic food, cuisine based mostly on meat.
    Local wine

• Ristorante Da Adolfo: Da Adolfo... SCAM! Stay Away!

by lag00natic Written Aug 14, 2006

Da Adolfo's was the WORST dining experience of my life! Although Frommer's and other guides recommend this restaurant, I encourage everyone to stay away from it. Here's why...

My wife and I were on our 10 year anniversary in Positano last week. One day, we took the free water shuttle to Da Adolfo's to have some lunch and planned to return to Positano for shopping in the afternoon. Upon arrival, we were approached by a man (I believe Sergio, the owner, or his son). He pressured us into renting chairs and an ubrella from him on his beach for 18 Euros (ouch!). We told him that we were not there to sunbath and were interested in ordering some lunch from his restaurant. After waiting for 15 minutes in his restaurant, we finally asked this same man if we could order some food. He said the restaurant was not currently open and to wait a bit. So, we ordered some wine and waited, and waited, and waited for someone to offer us something (anything) to eat. At 12:45PM, after waiting for an entire hour and never being offered to order any food, we decided to return to Postiano on the next boat. We paid for our wine and walked down to the pier. When the next boat arrived, we waved to the boat driver and indicated that we would like to return to Positiano. After the last passenger got off the boat, it immediately pulled away from the pier to leave... without us. We found this Sergio character and told him we would like to get on the boat. Then he had the nerve to tell us "the boat is only for the restaurant"! We were sitting in his "restaurant" for over an hour without ever being offered food or served! He then waved off the boat to leave and we were stranded as it was the last boat returning to Positano until 4PM. We ended up paying 10 Euro for a water to taxi to leave.

In short, if you don't mind being intimidated into renting chairs on a "free" beach and enjoy waiting hours for cheap Italian food while being treated like second-class citizens... then this is the perfect restaurant for you.

You have been warned!

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

da Vincenzo: warm friendly Positano restaurant

by nicolaitan Written Dec 3, 2005

This indoor restaurant on the main street of town offers little exceptional in menu choices over the standard Amalfi Coast cuisine, but the warm and welcoming staff make one feel at home and the care with which the food is prepared and served makes this a step above the average. Much quieter than the beach front places, and certainly more appreciative of your business. Prices are similar to everywhere else.

• Cafe Max: Near the center square

by dlchilders Written Jul 31, 2005

This is a fairly new restaurant (2 years or so) in Positano. It is expensive, yet it is worth every dime! It's also half art gallery. Rachel Ray ate here twice when she visited Positano. It wasnt for her show, it was on her on personal time. It's more upper scale than the typical family run/operated restaurants that are all over Positano. Very good and worth going to. YOu must have reservations or you will be frown upon for sure.

Favorite Dish: I had fettucine with mushrooms, white wine,..it was some kind of special of the night and I still think about this dish. I"m going back in September and asking for it again!!

• La Tagliata: top of the mountain restaurant!!

by dlchilders Updated Jul 31, 2005

This restaurant is at the tip top of Positano - higher than you can imagine until you get there, believe me! Montepertuso is the village. Have the hotel call and make reservations for you. They send a bus to come and get you. This may seem like a pain, but it is so worth it to see the view on your way up to the tip top. Bring your camera!!!
    The restaurant is truly what you imagine if you have not been to Italy before. Family run and operated. Locals go here too. The night I had dinner there, I had been to a small beach/restaurant outiside of Positano and the owners of that establishment were there that night with a huge group of locals having dinner there as well! So, you know if the locals go, it must be good! Or, that is what Rachel Ray always says and she is right!!

Favorite Dish: I had three or four kinds of pasta. I even took a photo of the plate when it was served. Didnt care how silly I looked either. I knew I wanted to remember it!!! ;-) Fresh, homemade pasta - not barilla! Simple, fresh sauce. The pasta was very light. That is how it is supposed to be. Try this place - you couldnt possibly be let down in any regards!

• Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Positano

Comments

Positano Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Positano restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Positano sightseeing.