Antica Trattoria, Sorrento

4.5 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars - 5 Reviews

The Entrace to L'Antica Trattoria
    by Jetgirly
  • Front of the restaurant (from its website)
    Front of the restaurant (from its...
    by NedHopkins
  • Jetgirly's Profile Photo

L'Antica Trattoria: Fine Dining... For Everyone!

by Jetgirly Updated Dec 4, 2006

The Entrace to L'Antica Trattoria

I really enjoyed my dinner at this restaurant and would recommend it to anyone visiting Sorrento (except for people on extremely tight budgets). I visited for dinner at 8.00 pm and had the choice of a set menu or ordering a la carte. I chose the EUR 30 set vegetarian menu. Here is what I was served (remember, all this for EUR 30!):

1. Homemade bread with olives or almonds, and prosecco to drink
    2. "Artfully arranged" julienned vegetables in a delicate sweet-and-sour sauce
    3. Insalata caprese (tomatoes, mozzarella and basil)
    4. Ricotta ravioli (probably in a sundried tomato oil)
    5. Local, tagliatelle-like pasta in broccoli sauce
    6. Grilled vegetables
    7. Cake made from regional lemons (from a selection)
    8. Lemon profiteroles

Add a glass of white wine and water, and my total bill came to EUR 40. They seemed quite keen on giving out little extras (not all of the things above were actually listed on the menu), so be nice to them! The menu clearly stated that the cost of the menu included cover charge AND service, so I didn't leave a tip. The food was all excellent; it tasted very fresh and homemade, and used local ingredients as much as possible. Service was warm, cheery and friendly... they were very kind to me despite my knowing nothing about eating in fancy restaurants! My only complaint would be the timing, in that there was practically no time for digestion between courses but it took more than forty minutes for my bill to arrive after I asked for it. I saw some children there at lunchtime, so I think they are used to catering to diverse crowds. There is indoor and outdoor seating, the inside is mazelike while the terrace is more like a garden.

The restaurant's website shows their menus (both set and a la carte), and also features some recipes invented in their kitchens (in Italian only).

• Wine Tasting

• Trattoria Antica: Best in Sorrento

by edsidi Written Apr 27, 2007

Without a doubt the best in Sorrento. A bit pricey, but then you get what you pay for. It is nouvelle cuisine at its best. We had the 58Eu menu and along the way they give you extras to sample. The staff is very friendly and we all enjoyed our visit.

• NedHopkins's Profile Photo

L'antica trattoria: Exquisite food, superb setting

by NedHopkins Updated Oct 22, 2006

Front of the restaurant (from its website)

L'antica trattoria is located on a side street in central Sorrento. It seats 40 people in an arbor and 45 more inside. Though it advertises a 'no smoking' policy, smoking was permitted -- and ashtrays provided -- in the outdoor area.

Reservations are recommended. When we arrived our name was printed on a 'Reserved' card on a table in a prime part of the arbor. Later in the evening people arriving without reservations were turned away.

Favorite Dish: Lamb chops superbly done. The pasta is also extraordinarily good.

• Seniors

• l'antica trattoria: a favourite haunt of Pavarroti!

by shankslives Written Aug 13, 2006

We went for lunch, had a 3 course lunch which was gorgeous.

The actual place is gorgeous too, sit outside.

The waiter was helpful in recommending dishes.

Favorite Dish: We had courgette flower to start which I had never eaten before and it was amazing, then I had ravioli again lovely and for desert we all had a local dish which was like merangue filled with a lemon sauce (sorrento lemons oviously!) it was gorge too.

• SallyM's Profile Photo

Antica Trattoria: Not the best value

by SallyM Updated Nov 5, 2006

This is a fancy restaurant, where they bring you a free aperitif and mini starters (the stuffed courgette flower was delicious).

The food is very good, but helpings are relatively small and prices are high.

Equally good food can be had elsewhere in Sorrento for more reasonable prices, though the setting is very attractive.

It is advisable to book in advance.

Favorite Dish: The stuffed courgette flower amuse-bouche.

Instant Answers: Sorrento