Places to eat in Sorrento

Most Viewed Restaurants in Sorrento

• stedeb's Profile Photo

La Basilica: Restaurant/Pizzeria

by stedeb Written Oct 2, 2012

The restaurant is set down a small alley which is actually a thoroughfare very quaint. However that is where it ends we ordered €18 bottle of Pinot Grigio but were billed €56 when we queried were told no it was €28!!!!! My lasagne was made from chopped sausages I am not sure if this is a local custom but I have had many lasagnes while I have been in Italy Nd never had one made from chopped sausages, my friend was given the wrong pizza but as she doesn't like to make a fuss did not say anything. Overall a very disappointing meal after having been spoilt by the food in Rome, Catania & Messina.
    It wasn't the most expensive restaurant around but I am still disappointed when I don't get value for money this was not good value

• Ernie44's Profile Photo

Ristorante Da Gigino: Excellent Food & Great Prices

by Ernie44 Written Jun 27, 2012

In Sorrento a wonderful place with friendly staff good service and great food reasonably priced, was Restorante Da Gigino on Via Degli Archi 15 Sorrento ph 081-878-1927

Favorite Dish: We tried almost all of them and was not disappointed

Ristorante Zi`Ntonio: Recommended by Michelin guidebook

by Turska Updated Apr 29, 2012

We have had many good meals in restaurants recommended by Michelin guidebooks (not with Michelin stars, way over our budget!), so when we saw the sticker at their door, we thought we should try it.
    In places like this, you should propably try something else than pizza, but we didn´t find anything we would rahter have on the menu. I think it was tuesday night, and many restaurants closed. I´m sure it wasn´t monday, because we thought in monday that none of the places (witch were open during our stay) is closed.
    The staff was quite tense. Nothing to complain, but they felt like they didn´t love their work. In many places staff was so friendly, that this just caught our eye.
    Anyway, pizza was good, wine was o.k., place was o.k. But not something really great if you ask us.
    We had troubbles to have our bill. Needed to wait for a long time. We were joking about leaving the place without paying.

Favorite Dish: Pizza with spicy salami and garlic. It was good. maybe little bit too much tomato sauce for me. We actually didn´t have any non good pizza during our stay! This was the most expensive one, but not that bad anyway.

Pizza Outside

• Turska's Profile Photo

Ristorante Parruchiano, La Favorita: Great pasta!

by Turska Updated Apr 29, 2012

There was quite many restaurants closed at the second week of march, so we also did went here, even if it looked little bit too fancy for us. But it was our "special night" (18 years since we started dating. We still think about that, even if we are married soon 15 years) so we went in. Even if it was too cold to eat outside, we felt like in garde, because the place was full of trees and plants. At it was warm! Only restaurant in Sorrento I didn´t feel cold at all, I even took my cardigan away, first time at night time.
    Staff was very friendly, and the wine selection was huge. We did order the cheapest one (their own bottled wine, it had some strange name at menu, even my sister who speak very good Italian didn´t understand what the word ment, when I sms her. She googled and found out it was own bottle. Good enough for us, who understand more about beers.) and had very friendly service even if it was so cheap wine ;)
    We asked how many croquettes there was at the starter menu, and they said about 5 or 6, and asked if we are planning to share it. When we said yes, they brought us 6. We both had pasta. The portions weren´t as big as in S.Antonino, but anyway bigger than in Rome or Milan. I even think if we would have asked them a little bigger when ordering, they might have done that. Very nice staff, no matter we were not dresser our best as some people were. The place was old, and had lots of some kind of diplomas etc at the wall.

Favorite Dish: Like allways, I loved the Spaghetti aglio e´olio. (I hear some of my friends laughing, I can´t order anything else when I see this on the menu..) . My husband had gnucci in tomato sauce and with mozzarella. He said it was good also. Desert was also good. We came here twice also, at second time I took the same, he took ravioli. The portions felt bigger the first time, or were we just hungrier at the second!

Gnucci local style (I think) Spaghetti aglio e olio My panna cotta My husbands.. tart something? Like sitting in green room!
    • Wine Tasting

Ristorante S.Antonino: Went here twice

by Turska Updated Apr 29, 2012

It had "recommend by Trip Advisor-stamp at door", so I thought it would be nice.
    We ate here twice. First time was even better. We had free starters and free bread while we waied for our lunch and free limoncello when we paid. Second time we ordered pizza, so we thought that might have been the reason for not having free starters neither bread. We have noticed in southern Europe, that they seem to thing you don´t need (want?) bread if you choose pizza. We were VERY hungry, for not eating anything during the day Paestum, so we thought we will go here, and get all the bread and stuff, but not this time :(
    Anyway, all the food was good, and service friendly. The table clothes and curtains were terrible cheap looking, and the music boring local pop hits, but the food was better! All the way from starters to the food. My dessert wasn´t what I expected (some sort of very dry sponge cake with lemon and lots of whipped cream-too much cream, too dry cake), but my husband even liked his tiramisu a lot (and it was better, I had a bite), so the problems was me, not the dessert ;) We allmost didn´t get the Limoncello at next time, but maybe they saw our faces, and did went to get them later :D
    In the summertime there is a lovely terrace on the roof. Someone allready ate there, but it was way too cold for us, even with the heaters.

Favorite Dish: I liked my cutlet Milanese, even if it didin´t look as good as it tasted. Salad with it was very small, but I had taken home made chips with it anyway. (I know it is touristic thing to do, but hey..I was a tourist!)
    My husband took some sort of pasta, witch was not told to be having any meat with it, but it did have ham pieces. The portion was big enough for a main course (with our strates, free and ordered ones and bread) and luckily he is not vegeterian, so the ham in spice tomate sauce was just a surprize, not a problem at all. (But it would have been to someone). At second time we both had spicy salami pizza with smoked cheese and garlic. It was very good also. Even though we didn´t taste the garlic on it, but we are the heavy users ;)

Pasta arrabiatta (or something) Our free starters, closed ones with ricotta. Cutlet Milanese Looks better than tasted.. Tasted as good as looked ;)

Primavera: Gelato....

by leics Updated Nov 5, 2011

There is no doubt that Primavera is extremely popular, not only with visitors but also with locals, who enjoy a gelato during their passegiatta.

I've had an ice-cream from this place on all my visits to Sorrento. They have a vast range of flavours available (and they make crepes as well).

But I have to be honest and say that their ice-cream is nothing special. It is good...but Italian ice-cream always is good, in my experience. It is certainly not cheap at 2.50 euro for a small cone and just one flavour.

Buy a gelato from Primavera by all means, but I think you will find gelato just as good (if not better) elsewhere in Sorrento. Don't assume that its prominent position and apparent popularity mean it's the best available.

Just a few of the many flavours available.... Primavera exterior
    • Women's Travel

• leics's Profile Photo

Miccio's: Not the best night to visit....

by leics Updated Oct 23, 2011

I was very tired, and very hungry, and needed somewhere very near to my hotel for a pizza and a beer. Miccio's trattoria/pizzeria fitted the bill, just round the corner with a large covered outside eating area and a good range of pizza at reasonable prices.

I chose a very bad night to visit. No sooner had I sat down then a vast number of very large and very loud foreign ?university? students arrived (in their 20s, not teenagers). The noise they continued to generate, particularly one table, was absolutely incredible...especially as they did not appear to be drunk. Screams of laughter, roaring, chanting, clapping, whistling....

I ate my pizza as quickly as I could, and left.

The pizza (Campagnola...a vegetarian topping) was absolutely fine and the beer was too. The staff were pleasant and courteous, though clearly harassed by the enormous and enormously noisy party. The pizza and beer came to 10 euro, which is a good price for central Sorrento.

This is somewhere I'd like to try again..it's family-owned and not obviously tourist-focused. But I'd like to try it without the company of a student group.

Exterior Interior The pizza

• leics's Profile Photo

The English Inn: I'm almost ashamed....

by leics Written Oct 23, 2011

This is *exactly* the type of place I would normally run a mile from when on holiday. But, for some reason, I had a bout of masochism and thought 'Why not try it to see what makes people go to 'English' pubs when they're on holiday?'

So I did.

The English Inn serves a 'full English breakfast' in the mornings, and a variety of meals and snacks throughout the day and evening, including 'proper' English fish & chips. They make a big point of saying there is no cover charge and no service charge (just like a real English pub!). I only really wanted a salad so decided I'd eat there.

There are tables outside on the roadside, a wooden bar and small rooms inside, a large 'beer garden' at the back. I sat outside; it's bliss for a Brit to be able to eat outside, so I do it whenever I can even if I have to keep my coat on! As well as bottled beers, spirits etc they have several draught beers, including Nastro Azzurro (my choice) and, I think, Carling and Heineken.

I chose the 'bean salad' which was absolutely fine...exactly what it said it would be, salad with white beans (not baked beans!) and a dressing. I had some chips to go with it...perfectly standard chips, perfectly acceptable salad, absolutely nothing special and nothing wrong with it either.

Service was friendly enough, prices reasonable (for Sorrento). An ok place if you are short of choice, too tired to walk any further or simply desperate for something to eat.

The English Inn Bean salad

• Ernie44's Profile Photo

Ristorante Giardiniello: "The meals tasted great"

by Ernie44 Written Jul 1, 2011

The Ristorante Giardiniello is a small out of the way place with great service and all types of Italian meals. Best of all the prices are reasonable.
    Owned by the Giardiniello family.
    The Ristorante Giardiniello
    Via dell' Accademia 719
    80067 Sorrento Italy

Favorite Dish: All the meals were good!

Ristorante Giardiniello

• AMellior's Profile Photo

O' Murzill': Pasta alla carbonara and lamb shops

by AMellior Updated Jun 7, 2011

You walk into the restaurant just like walking into an italian's family dining room> Ernesto and Elena, the owners, make you feel like family. There are only six tables so great place to experience the italian meal with italians of the neighborhood. Elena is an amazing chef - whatever you order is made at the moment... plates make not come all at the same time but when they arrive are just perfect. She makes all the dishes in the kitchen by herself. Ernesto is her husband and we call him the "Paul Newman of Sorrento". Great personality and makes you feel at home. When you go tell them the "Bello da Los Angeles" says hello.

Favorite Dish: All the dishes are great.... all Napolitano style. The caprese salad with fresh tomatoes and buffallo mozarela and oregano and Elena's spices is amazing and the lamb shops are incredible. The spaghetti carbonara is soo good you lick your fork!!

• Singles

• giardinello's: The best eggplant parmesana on the planet

by KatherinaRegina Written Sep 30, 2010

Everything we had at Giardinella's was delicious. It is off the beaten track - in a very small walkway off of the piazza in Sorrento. I had the Melanzane Parmesana (eggplant aka aubergines) and it was absolutely to die for. Others with me had fried octoopus and squid, caprese salads, antipasto, prosciutto and melone, fresh cooked mollucks and clams in a tomato sauce - and for desert the "lemon cloud" - oh heaven!

Favorite Dish: My favorite was the Melanzane (eggplant) parmesana

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

RISTORANTE PIZZERIA ZI'NTONIO: SORRENTO DELIGHT

by travelgourmet Written May 11, 2010

Just down the street Via Luigi De Maio, off the center of town at Piazza Tasso is a plain entrance of glass and wood to the Ristorante Pizzeria Zi'Ntonio. Open the door, and the aroma of spices and flavors of Italy fill the rooms. Of course, looking around and up and you are in a wonderland of wood and plates. There are more plates on the walls then on tables. Quite interesting, to say the least. The decor that got me was the loft with all the wood trimmings.

There are three dining areas and the loft is very cozy. The entrance floor has the center dining pergola with all the hand decorated plates. Also located here are cellars with tofa stone walls that have tables for dining. Being close to all the shops and the center of town makes this a restaurant that is off the main street but walkable. The service was very friendly and the waitstaff was quick to accommodate. A nice change of pace from all the sidewalk cafes and bars.

Favorite Dish: Stopped inside for lunch and the Pizza Margherita was a nice starter that got the taste buds going. Risotto with seafood special of langostino was a good complement to the pizza. Topped off with a glass of vino rosso and the meal was complete.

MAIN DINING ROOM LOOKING UP TO LOFT DINING The Loft , photo by Zi'Ntonio

Taverna dell'800: Another friendly place

by leics Updated Feb 21, 2009

It's a pub, really......well, a pub with restaurant tables (much the same as UK pubs nowadays). It's an old building, dating from the 18th century, and does have a pretty good atmosphere.

Nothing special, but the staff are very friendly and pleasant and the food is perfectly ok. They do three tourist menus at reasonable prices and a selection of individual dishes.

My friend liked the place, so we ate there twice. The tourist menus are ok pricewise (2 courses, some wine and some water) but my fish (first night) was pink in its thickest part and my octopus/squid (second) was rather rubbery. Both fish and octopus were ultra-fresh though, which is good, and the other courses (risotto one night, squid-ink pasta with shrimp the other) were very tasty.

There is a pianist who sings all the standards...'That's Amore', 'Funiculi, Funicula' etc etc.

They cater for school parties out of season, so be warned that you may find yourself surrounded by British, German or US teens. Sit in the first room, by the bar, if you wish to avoid that experience.

It's a pleasant enough place to eat in a mostly-closed Sorrento, and the friendly staff do make one feel comfortable.

O yes...they do serve Beamish and Guinness and stuff like that. If you absolutely must......

At night........ Squid-ink pasta........very nice. Inside the bar. The fish.......... Bar in daylight

• ablphillips's Profile Photo

primavera: italy's best gelato

by ablphillips Written Jan 30, 2009

if you're looking for the best gelato in italy the place to get it is on corso italia in a small gelataria called "primavera". it has a huge variety of flavours as well as hundreds of photo's of celebrities covering the walls! it lies between corso italia and via san caesaro, can be a little hard to spot as it is a very small shop but well worth searching for!!

Favorite Dish: try the amarena or limone or tiramisu but they are all fantastic! and one is never enough!!!

• mcferreri's Profile Photo

Restaurante Museo Caruso: Memorable Food & Service

by mcferreri Updated Dec 14, 2008

So good we ate there twice in our four evenings there. Tucked away from the hopping Piazza Tasso, the Caruso is a nice dining atmosphere combining the best cuisine and service. From the locally baked bread to the homemade limoncello apertivo, everything was fresh and delicious.

Service was also memorable. We were treated like kings by the staff. Everyone showed a great enthusiasm for their local food and establishment. The live music was an extra bonus too.

Favorite Dish: I cannot recall the name, but there was a "Frutti del Mare" featuring all the local shellfish served with a spicy tomato sauce on a bed of fresh pasta. There was also a grilled Veal steak. Pair it with a local red!

• Wine Tasting

Latest: Jul 11, 2014
Villa Igea
Latest: May 28, 2014

Instant Answers: Sorrento

Comments

Sorrento Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Sorrento locals.
Map of Sorrento