Beaches, Sorrento

by mallyak
  • mallyak's Profile Photo

Beaches of sorrento

by mallyak Written Aug 26, 2008

Sorrento is not noted for its beaches. It sits on a clifftop, above the shore. The nearest sandy beach to the harbour is the small Marina Piccola, which is reached by steps or a lift. The other sandy beach is Marina Grande, around 15 minutes' walk from the town centre. The most attractive beach is Punto del Capo further south. It is reached from the centre of town by following Via del Capo, though it is best to take a bus.

• ChartIt's Profile Photo

Visit the "Beach"

by ChartIt Written Aug 11, 2007

Peters Beach

So we were hot tired, and cranky before the day started. We had our luggage and were not really sure what to do. We decided to spend the day at the beach. It isnt much of a beach, it is more of a gravel coast. It is also very crowded, they have a free beach, which was very crowded to the point we didnt really want to stay. There are also several resort style beaches. We chose one, it had a shower, chaning rooms, bathroom, a bar, and "sunbeds." These beds are lounge chairs with a visor to cover your face so the sun isnt in your eyes. They have a lifeguard, a shower to rinse off the salt water and several places to get in the water. We spent the day there, and for us it was 12 euro a bed worth it. The chairs cost less 8 euro. But for us we wanted to lay down, read, enjoy the waves and spray of the sea. So worth the cost. Our luggage was safe with us, and we didnt have to worry about any inappropriate behavior. Oh and ladies if you want, you can sunbath topless. I wasnt so adventersome, but some women were.

• Study Abroad
    • Spa and Resort

• Rebecca76's Profile Photo

Beaches

by Rebecca76 Written Dec 8, 2006

The beaches in Sorrento are all rock and while it is nice to get some beach time in, I think there might be more enjoyable places to hang out. The water is pretty warm, but there is a bit of an undertow.

• GUYON's Profile Photo

Going bathing in Sorrento

by GUYON Written Jul 30, 2005

The beaches

The peninsula Torrentina has no large beaches. So, the cuning Italians have created some artificial beaches, partly on piers, partly on the local black sand.
    You can rent your sun umbrella and two deck chairs (un'ombrellone e due lettini).
    Don't speak at a too loud voice if you do not wish to be listen by your neighbor.

• Water Sports

Narrow steep lanes

by kentishgirl Updated Nov 1, 2004

We are off to the beach!

These narrow steep lanes lead down to the beaches and harbour.

Great going down, dreadful coming back up!!

Remember water to drink and to dry off before leaving the beach otherwise its quite uncomfortable!!

Peters Beach and Leonitas

Beaches of Sorrento

The other beaches besides Marina Grande are located around the cliff near to the harbour.

I was suprised at the beaches to say the least. Yes, they are attractive beaches, but I did not expect to be told that it cost 5 euro per person to go on them!! and that it cost an extra 8-13euro for a bed and brolly!!!

This is not ideal, especially if you are a poor backpacker! So, we went and found the "free" beach which is set between Peters and Leonitas beaches.....Its the same sea!!

I was not impressed with the beach, its very small and as its free it is just packed! Its not clean either, I regularly sat in somebodys left over dinner or stood on their cigarette butt in my bare feet!!

If you do pay to go on the beaches here, do be aware that you may not get a bed on the sand, as you can see from the picture the majority of th beds are actually on wooden decking that juts out into the sea.

Marina Grande

Marina Grande

As I said before, we came to Sorrento for the beach part of our trip. To be honest I was not over impressed.

However, from the beaches which we tried the Marina Grande was by far the best. The water isnt crystal clear, in fact around by the small boats that are moored here its very dirty with oil.
    I was quite happy just to lie on the beach reading !!

Marina Grande was the quieter of the beaches we went to, I was suprised as it is the best known beach in Sorrento!

There are some small shops here where you can buy water and refreshments.

• meteorologist1's Profile Photo

Activity: The Beach and Relaxing

by meteorologist1 Written Aug 30, 2003

Sorrento Beach

There's not really a must-"see" activity in Sorrento, as far as I know, except enjoying the ocean scenery and the beach. And this is the place to sunbathe if you are into that. This is the place to relax after your tiring trip and lots of walking in Rome or Florence.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Water Sports

• windoweb's Profile Photo

Dip your toes into the Mediterranean

by windoweb Written Feb 8, 2013

Here at the Mediterranean Sea I was able to dip my toes and collect beach glass. It was a beautiful coastline. Breathtaking views.

Instant Answers: Sorrento