Food and shopping, Bologna

Know about this? Rate It!

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

Little Shops under the Arcades

by Kathrin_E Written Oct 13, 2014

Favorite thing: Shopping and window-shopping in Bologna is not about chain stores but about the little, locally owned shops. This applies to most of Italy, by the way. Underneath the portici there are countless small shops of all kinds and genres. Many still have their old shop fronts, like the hat shop in photo 4. Some sell everyday goods, but the majority focuses on specialities. If you are, for example, after food specialities or fashion items, the little shops are your best bet.
    It is hard to tell where to start. The old town is full of them. This is, again, about strolling along the streets, keeping your eyes open and taking notice of what is there.

Welcome to my shop
    • Women's Travel

• sylina's Profile Photo

Bolognese knows how to make great food

by sylina Written Feb 22, 2012

Favorite thing: Bolognese's cuisine is famous within Italians.. I love the food I have tried.. or have seen.. :)

Fondest memory: Eataly, alti cibi.. (alti cibi means good food)

Eataly is a slow-food concept mall.. my first try was their branch in Torino.. It was a huge joint with food market, supermarket with products all food-wise.. seperate food booths with different specialties.. very chic and unique... it supports small local manufactories to promote their good quality products.. the prices are big higher than usual you will pay.. but it's nice things which you don't find easily in normal supermarket/shops...

I loved my several visits in Turin.. sadly they don't have too many branches throughout Italy.. although in Tokyo and NY they do.. not even in Roma.. hmmm... but.. I found it in Bologna.. on a side street of Piazza Maggiore.. where nice food shop can be found around it... quite a nice surprise.. It was actually a book store with a floor of Eataly.. nothing compares to the main branch in Torino (As I always think, Torinese people knows how to appreciate life!).. but still I was very happy to be there.. I bought a jar of red pepper stuffed with tuna.. was planning to bring it back to home but it looked too delicious.. I couldn't resist the temptation.. I went back before leaving to grab another one.. ;)

Eataly food shop proscuitto pancakes

• anne_danella_desouza's Profile Photo

Am I in food heaven?

by anne_danella_desouza Written Sep 18, 2007

Favorite thing: Just walking around the beautiful streets and buildings, and visiting the many museums and churches, shopping at the markets.

Fondest memory: My fondest memories are walking along the many small, cobbled streets, drinking in the historic architecture, shopping at the stores, and stopping for the best machiatos in the world. The lighting in that city is special, everything looks romantic.

• Museum Visits
    • Architecture

• anne_h's Profile Photo

Food vendors...I bought some...

by anne_h Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Food vendors...I bought some tortellini to take home, as well as a bit too much mortadella. I'm still having trouble with the weight conversions!

• oja's Profile Photo

Explore old narrow streets...

by oja Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Explore old narrow streets around the Piazza Maggiore and spot some less usual items in their shop windows (click on the photo to see what I mean).

Instant Answers: Bologna