Places to eat in Bologna

Ristorante Pappagallo
    by croisbeauty

Most Viewed Restaurants in Bologna

• xaver's Profile Photo

Tony: very good local cooking

by xaver Updated Jan 7, 2014

This restaurant was reccomended to us by a taxi driver. He said it was one of the few restaurant in the center that still cooks good food at honest prices. He also said it was so ugly that no tourist would go. Actually this was not true, may be the driver was not going for a while.
    We went very early becase we were hungry and it was a good choice as at 7 pm we got the lst free table. We ate some ham and mortadella for appetizers, they are cut by the old lady and it was the first time that I was served a hand cut mortadella: excellent. We took some boiled meat and a red wine. 35€ was a decent price for the center of Bologna and it was true, we were the only tourists there.
    V. Righi, 1/B
    051 232852

• PDXdepartures's Profile Photo

A.F. Tamburini: Bounty of Emilio-Romagna

by PDXdepartures Written Mar 26, 2013

A bounty of cheeses, salumi, breads, all wafting their fragrances when you enter this deli. For takeaway or for eating in its small buffet area where you select from hot dishes, pick up a glass of red wine and find a table (hopefully). Very popular for midday meal. If too busy for a meal, at least a stop, then wander past the other food shops on nearby streets.

• Photography

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Pappagallo: Don't miss the Bolognese cuisine

by croisbeauty Updated Jan 30, 2013

Italian cuisine is wide world known and appreciated, Bolognese cuisine is considered as the best in Italy. Pappagallo is one of the best known restaurant in Bologna and one of the most expensive, but the food here worth every single cent you spend on it. The only problem one might have is very bright lighting which could ruin the atmosphere. Besides, the celling in the restaurant is very high and it makes light to be even more brighter.
    Besides, restaurant is situated right in the heart of the city.

Favorite Dish: It is not polite to recommend such an restaurant because food and wine is pricy and not many travellers can afford it. I was curious to taste, upon the recommendation of my good friend, the real flavour of Bolognese cuisine.
    I tasted many which consisted of five courses, small portions of various local dishes. The final dish of pork meat simply melted in my mouth. For a deink I had two glasses of local red wine recommended by the weither. The food and wine was of very high quality, while the service discreet and well managed. One get impression that is the only guest in the restaurant.
    Comparing to other restaurants Pappagallo is pretty expensive, I was single and paid 55 euros. But on the other hand, sometimes we regret if paying 20 or 30 euros for a dinner and felt as we were robbed.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

cafe-bar: Bologna cuisine is a must taste

by croisbeauty Updated Jan 30, 2013

They call it "la grassa", because it has probably the best cuisine in Italy. It is not easy to resist and not to taste one of local dishes, for what Bologna is famous and not in Italy only.

Favorite Dish: I cannot eat much in a hot day, especially if lunch time. Not tasting the cuisine of Bologna is like visiting Vatican and not see the Pope. The fact is, I didn't stay in Bologna, it was just a day-trip from Treviso.
    In such a hot days my recipe is to take "prosciutto con melone", light and refreshing dish which I like alot. Cold glass of dry white wine is almost a perfect choice for a drink. I trusted my weither for a wine and it was really good.
    I can't remember well but such a luch have cost me something less than 20 euros.

• Tuzik's Profile Photo

Al Sangiovese: Traditional Emilia-Romagna menu

by Tuzik Written Oct 5, 2012

A great restaurant just south of the Centro Storico. An amazing selection of regional wine (as one can tell from the name of the Restaurant) and an excellent representation of Emilia-Romagna cuisine with down to earth but absolutely delicious food.

Favorite Dish: Mascarpone dessert. The silkiest I have ever tried. Almost rivalring zabaglione but better! Didn't share it with anybody:)

• Tuzik's Profile Photo

Osteria La Traviata: Homemade pasta at its best

by Tuzik Written Oct 4, 2012

Family run local Emilia-Romagna food at its best. Homemade pasta, fresh ingredients, delicious desserts. We went to this restaurant at the recommendation of our B&B hosts Agostino and Roberto. We were not disappointed. We had an antipasto tipico (mostly deep fried veggies and squash blossoms, porcini mushrooms on the bed of rucola greens), tortellini, gnocchi with scallops, and of course homemade mascarpone with berry medley and gelato for dessert. The dinner was to die for!

Favorite Dish: Tortellini and mascarpone dessert.

• painterdave's Profile Photo

A.F. Tamburini srl: Magnet of Foods

by painterdave Updated Mar 4, 2012

You walk into this place and you eyes immediately begin to help you understand Bologna and its foods. You just wish you could buy it all and send it home, things are hanging and setting and displayed in a manner that shows you how proud the people are of their food heritage.
    The photos I have here will help you understand what my words cannot describe.
    I highly recommend a visit to this shop, and if you have the desire you can order some food and spend a few hours tasting lots of different kinds of cuisine.

Favorite Dish: There is seating outside during the nice days. The waiters joke with the customers and make a game of ordering what you want.
    Inside there is also seating, and you will see the locals coming in to order food for take out. It is all displayed and you can point to what you want and use your hands to show how much. You do not have to know Italian here.
    But.....come hungry, because this is a place to enjoy Italian food, and celebrate the differences between your country's cuisine and Bologna's.

• Luxury Travel

Ristorante Pizzeria Pino: Nice food with good price

by sylina Updated Feb 24, 2012

I ordered spaghetti as primo, Cotoletta Bologna (Breaded veal cutlet, fontina chees, seasoned ham) as secondo.. Panna Cotta as dessert.. half litro vino rosso della casa.. they offer pizza bianca as the bread.. everything was tasty with good price.. I noticed as well there were many locals dining in Pino.. which is a good sign... :)

Favorite Dish: everything...

• sylina's Profile Photo

Gamberini: Elegant Cafè Pasticceria...

by sylina Written Feb 24, 2012

Historical cafeteria and pasticceria in the center of Bolgona.. wonderful dolci mignon and tortas.. Also a great place to go for aperitivo..

Favorite Dish: dolci and icecream (gelateria is the next door to the pasticceria)

• sylina's Profile Photo

Bar Impero: delicious cakes and gelato

by sylina Written Feb 23, 2012

Impero locates on Via dell'Indipendenza.. It offers coffee, cakes, bread, sandwiches, sweets, gelato.. etc... nice deco inside, with also tables on the pedestrian street... a good place to have a rest after some shopping.. :)

Favorite Dish: Good coffee as usual... THE best fruit tart I ever had.. :) really enjoyed the freshness of the berries and the crispy base filled with yummy yellow cream... hmmm... mouthwatering.. :D

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

Osteria Bottega: outstanding quality

by PALLINA Written Jan 7, 2012

Surely my best food experience in Bologna. Great tradition, nice ambience, very kind service, row materials of excellen quality. I had great tortellini and my husband some dreamful tagliatelle. I will go there again.

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

macrobiotics: Estravagario

by PALLINA Written Oct 31, 2011

Actually I am not so keen on vegetarian or vegan restaurants but I was invited here and could not say no. It was a really nice surprise! Especially at daytime, you can be asked to share the tables with strangers. Anyway, nice and colorful ambience, kind service and narrow but fresh selection of food. Usually they have big main courses, not primo, secondo and so on as normally in Italy. I had a lovely pumpking strudel with baked potetoes and fresh salas. Also desserts were very good. They also organize etnic food special evenings.

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

Taverna al postiglione: Quiet position and good food

by oriettaIT Updated Oct 7, 2011

We found this restaurant strolling around the center of Bologna. It is in a covered porch inside a old brick's building and it appear to us quiet and with reasonable prices compared to the other.
    The waiters are kind and they speak decent english.
    We sat outdoor, the dining area was well decorated and relaxing.
    The menu have a good selection of local yummy food, appetizer main course and second course. The wine list is good too but we ordered house wine from the draft that was still good.

Favorite Dish: We had a salad, a Pasta parcels with a cheese, pear and walnut filling and tagliatelle with bolognese sauce. The pasta was perfectly cook and the sauces were tasty.

• Wine Tasting

• painterdave's Profile Photo

Taverna del Postiglione: Pasta and more specialties

by painterdave Written Sep 26, 2011

There are many tourist type restaurants in the same area as Postiglione, but after asking advice from the locals and comparing menus, we found this to be a good choice.
    They have seating outside under a covered area or inside in a very nice, well decorated room. The service was excellent, and the whole restaurant was clean and well kept.
    It is easy to find as it is near the old book library and Neptune statue. It is in a kind of hidden corner which adds to the niceness of getting away from the tourist setting.
    Highly recommended

Favorite Dish: The red sauce is very exceptional, see photos of my dish.
    They have some nice antipasto selections, too.

• Wine Tasting

• Nic2004's Profile Photo

Gelateria Gianni: Best chocolate icecream

by Nic2004 Written Jul 15, 2011

They have the best chocolate ice cream I've eaten in my life! The other flavours are great as well:)

Favorite Dish: Chocolate ice cream. I didn't like this flavour before. But since trying it at Gianni's, it became my favourite flavour :-)

Bologna Hotels

Latest: Mar 11, 2013
Antica Residenza d'Azeglio
Hotel Porta San Mamolo

Instant Answers: Bologna

Comments

Bologna Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Bologna locals.
Map of Bologna