Palazzo d'Accursio originally was the residence of the jurist Accurssius. In 1336 it became the seat of the "Anziani" (Elder) the higest magistrates of the commune and then the seat a city government. In the 15th century it was restored by the Italian architect Fioravante Fioravanti who added the clock tower (Torre d'Accursio). Over the portal is a large bronze statue of the Bolognese Pope Gregory XIII, from 1580.
The construction of this imposing building was carried out throughout several years by uniting different buildings.
The building looks like a castle whose walls construction began early in 1336. On the facade there is the "terracotta" (earthenware).
Inside the building there are two lovely courtyards "Cortile d'Onore", the courtyard for the guest of honour while visiting Bologna, while the second one is "La Cisterna".
The palace is home of the Civic Art Collection with paintings from the Middle Ages to the 19th century. It also houses the Museo Morandi, with the works of Italian painter Giorgio Morandi, donated to the commune by his family.
The part of the Palace that ovelooks Piazza del Nettuno is covered with tablets in memory of those who died while defending the town. Palazzo Comunale is very huge building which occupies large space, the side that overlooks via Ugo Bassi is turned into the museum. It is where a beautiful fountain "Fontana Vecchia" is located, work of Tommaso Laureati from 1565.
In the side which overlooking Via IV Novembre is incorporated Torre Lapi, right into the walls of Palazzo Comunale complex. Torre Lapi dates back to 1359. Under Napoleonic rule in Bologna, the tower was reduced almost by half, that could be 30 meters, to the current 18.
The construction of this impressive building was carried out over many years by joining together many different buildings into one larger one. The largest part of the Palazzo Comunale is the Palazzo d'Accursio, topped with a clock tower.
Three important works of art are on the façade of the palace: the Madonna di Piazza by Nicolò dell'Arca, the statue of Pope Gregory XIII and an eagle attributed to Michelagelo.
The second floor of the Palazzo d'Accursio contains both the Collezione Comunale d'Arte and the Museo Morandi, which hold pieces of art and furniture from the 1400s to the 1800s
The palace is open to the public where visitors can see the council chamber, halls and an art collection
The Palazzo Comunale is not, strictly speaking, a Palazzo. That is, it is not one single building but rather a collection of Palazzi built at different dates and amalgamated into one structure for the use of the Comune (municipality). The entrance way (the second picture) has a sculpture of Pope Gregory XIII and was completed in 1580 by Menganti. Pope Gregory XIII was originally from Bologna and reformed the calendar of the Western Church. The rest of the entrance was completed earlier, in 1555 by Alessi. The largest component of the Palazzo Comunale is the Palazzo d'Accursio, at the southernmost point of the building, topped with a clock tower. The Palazzo d'Accursio was built sometime before 1287, the date at which the city of Bologna acquired it from d'Accursio, who had just returned from the court of Edward I of England. It was amalgamated with other structures to form the town hall in 1336 and the rest of the building (everything north of the entrance) ws built in 1425-28 by Fieravante Fieravanti. The papal legates had it fortified in the 1500s and the clock was added in 1773. The second floor of the Palazzo d'Accursio contains both the Collezione Comunale d'Arte and the Museo Morandi, which hold pieces of art and furniture from the 1400s to the 1800s. The Museo Morandi is named after Giorgio Morandi, a 20th century artist native to Bologna. Many of his works are represented in the museum.
On the second floor of the Palazzo d'Accursio, there is the Farnese Hall, a Renaissance room, where ceremonies are held. It was decorated around 1660, with scenes of the most important events during the presence of the Church and the power of the Pope in the city, through the representation of episodes ranging from the Middle Ages to the 17th century. The room is overlooked by the Legato Chapel where Charles V was crowned.
This building was made up of many different public offices that, during the centuries, where assembled and bought together by the Municipality at the end of the 13th century. At the beginning, it was the seat of some municipal offices. Then, in 1336, it became the residence of the Anziani, the highest magistracy in the city and the seat of the city government as well. The building was enlarged in the first half of the 15th century and then the clock in the Accursio tower was added. The façade, where there is the Madonna with Child by Niccolò dell'Arca, a portal by Galeazzo Alessi was added in the mid 16th century and in 1580 the big bronze statue of Pope Gregory XIII was added on top of it. The palace is open to the public where visitors can see the council chamber, halls and an art collection.
Open: Tues-Sun 10am-6pm
There's a huge panel covered with photographs of Italian partisans killed during the WWII outside the palazzo. It's interesting!
Palazzo Comunale is Bologna's Town Hall. You can find an extensive collection of medieval and Renaissance paintings, sculpture and furniture inside the palazzo.
This building from XII-XIV centuryalso can be seen on the main picture of the Bologna page. On the main gothic facade could be seen sculpture of Bolognese Pope Gregory XIII (original meadieval sculpture could be find now in museum) and Madonna with Child, by Nicolo dell'Arca. The palace has been seat of city council since 1200. There are few very interesting museums inside as well as sala borsa, library and internet centre.