Those travellers who regularly visiting Italian towns probaly know what is the meaning of podesta. It derives from Latin word podestas, meaning power. In the Middle Ages each town had podesta, a high official sort of chief magistrate, the representative of the Holy Roman Emperor.
The Palace was built around 1200 as the seat of the local podesta where he used to meet politicians. However, the building turned out to be far too small and therefore had been enlarged in 1245. The new Palace (Palatinum Novum) was later renamed into Palazzo Re Enzo. Over Palazzo Re Enzo stands Torre dell Arengo whose bell was used to call the people during emergencies.
Palazzo is a long building with a large hall on the upper floor, while lower floor is a double open arcade, so-called Voltone del Podesta, through which pass two lanes of shops.
In 1453 Aristotele Fioravanti replaced the bell and reconstructed the original gothic facade in the Reinaissance style, by order of Giovani II Bentivoglio. The Palace features two courts from which a vault takes shape; in each corner of the vault were carved four earthenware statues depicting "I Patroni della citta" (Patrons of the town), by Alfonso Lombardi (1525).
In the 16th to 18th centuries the palace was used as a theatre. In the 20th century it was frescoed by Adolfo de Carolis, one of the leading artists in the Italian Liberty Movement, which was Italian name for the Art Nouveau.
This palace facing Basilica di San Petronio and is also one of the landmarks of Bologna. In the Middle Age the 'Podestà' lived there. He was the most important authority of the city administration.
The building was constructed about 1200 and was enlarged about 1245 after proving insufficient for the massive participation of the people in the city's government. Next to it and by the Palazzo Re Enzo tands the Torre dell'Arengo, whose bell was used to call the people during emergencies.
On the ground floor, is tourist information centre where you can get all information about Bologna, maps and information about accomodation, events, atractions etc. An arcade with smaller shops and cafe's of course, but don't expect them to be cheap.
We bought some snacks from the streets leading off Piazza Maggiore and ate them on the Palazzo Podesta steps.. Wonderful views...
Palazzo della Podestà has the misfortune of occupying the space directly across the Piazza Maggiore from San Petronio. If it weren't for the church, this building would certainly dominate the layout and scenery of the Piazza. As it stands, however, Palazzo della Podestà (Building of Power) must play second fiddle to its partner in this architectural stare-down. The Palazzo was begun at the end of the 13th Century but wasn't finished in its current form until 1484, when a renovation of the building was completed. The Tower in the centre of the building is known as l'Arengo and was completed in 1212. There are two passageways beneath it and the vault of the Tower contains various statues of the patron saints of Bologna. These were sculpted by Afonso Lombardi after the completion of the renovation in 1525. Today the building is home to a number of excellent but expensive cafés and bars.
this is a big building beetween piazza Maggiore, Piazza Nettuno e PIazza re Enzo.
Palazzo del Podestà
This was the first seat of the town government, represented by the Podestà and his judges and officers. The original building was not so different to the actual shape: under the vaults of its arcades and all around it there were shops of artisans, drapers, green grocers all lined up,
There is bell tower called calling citizens in case of out-of-the ordinary events (assemblies, wars..). Builded on four corner pillars on a vault, called 'Voltone del Podestà' . In this vault ther is a particular sound effects: is u stay in a corner u can hear each other's whispers from the opposite corners.
Palazzo RE Enzo
King Enzo Palace was built between 1244-46 as an extension of Municipal buildings. Just three years later it became the 'residence' of the King taken prisoner in the battle of Fossalta(King Enzo of Sardinia, son of Frederick II). In this golden prison he spent his remaining twenty three years of life.
Several legends were born around the mythical figure of the prisoner King: as a ransom for his son, the father had the people of Bologna enough gold to encircle their town walls; the King had made an escape hidden inside a 'brenta' or cask, foiled by a woman who had cried out 'scappa, scappa!' - he 's running away - thus being rewarded by the town with the honour of using the surname of Scappi.
This building, which stands opposite the church of San Petronio in Piazza Maggiore, was erected in the 13th century but its façade was completely changed with Renaissance decorations between 1484 and 1494, on commission of Giovanni II Bentivoglio. Interesting is the wide porch, in the middle of which there is the arch cross known as the Voltone of the Podestà and the Arengo Tower, built in 1221 with a 4,900kg bell, which was placed there in 1453. Cafe's line the front of the Palazzo and it's also where you can find a good information bureau where I got my map.
Built in XIII the century, the palace is distinguished for the tower of Arengo (1212), that it constitutes the more ancient nucleus of the building. In occasion of the important events of the city life the Campanazzo, great bell, was placed on the tower in 1453 . Giovanni II Bentivoglio ordered the dejection of the original facade of the palace, redesigned in renaissance shape in the 1485 from the architect Aristotle Fioravanti.
The oldest parts of this building date back to 1200. In the Middle Age the “Podestà” lived there. He was the most important authority of the city administration. Under the vault, on which the tower stands on, a stange phenomenom happens: if you approach one of the pillars in the corner and you whisper, another person can hear your voice very clearly standing near the pillar in the opposite corner!
This elegant palace facing Basilica di S. Petronio and is also one of the landmarks of Bologna. Pallazo Re Enzo stands nearby. In this building, on the groud floor, is tourist information centre where you can get all information about Bologna, maps and information about accomodation, events, atractions etc.