Forlì Things to Do

  • Abbazia di San Mercuriale
    Abbazia di San Mercuriale
    by Airpunk
  • Side wall
    Side wall
    by Airpunk
  • Palazzo delle Poste
    Palazzo delle Poste
    by Airpunk

Most Recent Things to Do in Forlì

  • Airpunk's Profile Photo

    Palazzo Paulucci Piazza

    by Airpunk Written Mar 6, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Palazzo Paulucci Piazza

    Inspired by the Lateran Palace in Rome, this palace was built in the late 17th century on order of Monsignor Camillo dei Conti Piazza. It was never completed and in 1890, it was bought by the city and turned into a school. When the fascists took over the power, it became a court building and since the end of WWII, it is used as seat of the prefecture.

    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Airpunk's Profile Photo

    Piazza Aurelio Saffi and Palazzo delle Poste

    by Airpunk Written Mar 6, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Palazzo delle Poste

    The Piazza Aurelio Saffi is the main central square of the city. Around it, many important buildings are situated, such like the town hall, the Abbazia di San Mercuriale and the Post Office building (Palazzo delle Poste). The square is also used as market square, but I don’t know, if it is a daily market. On this market, I found what its almost typical for a contemporary italian market: Fruits, vegetables, meat, fish and cheese – together with clothes and cheap far eastern household items.

    This is one of many buildings in Forli built during fascist times – but in neorenaissance style. So, it is kept in a similar style and colour as its neighbouring buildings. The Palazzo delle Poste was built in 1932 in the tradition of the renaissance placae of wealthy families.

    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Airpunk's Profile Photo

    Large Renaissance church

    by Airpunk Written Mar 6, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The church
    1 more image

    Close to the Oratorio of San Sebastiano, I saw another church in a very sorry state. I can’t remember the name of this church, but its size was impressive. On one side, you could see the places where the windows were supposed to be – closed by bricks. A beautiful building that surely deserves restoration.

    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Airpunk's Profile Photo

    Cassa dei Risparmi

    by Airpunk Written Mar 6, 2007

    3 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Cassa dei Risparmi
    1 more image

    In 1930, a new building for the Cassa dei Risparmi was finished. It was built in neorenaissance style, fitting well into the old town. While walking through the colonnade, note the paintings on the ceiling.

    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Airpunk's Profile Photo

    Piazzale della Vittoria

    by Airpunk Written Mar 6, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Monument at Piazzale della Vittoria

    This big square is one of the most important points of the town. Many of Forlis main street end and start here, including the Viale della Libertá which leads to the train station. By the way of Vial Filippo Corridoni and Corso della Repubbica, Piazza della Vittoria is an entry point to the old town.
    In the center of this square, you will see the monument dedicated to the victims of WWI. It was unveiled in 1932, the 10th anniversary of the fascist revolution. It is one of the many places, giving Forlí its own, strange appearance: Renaissance architecture on one side – and fascist architecture on the other.
    Piazzale della Vittoria is also the main connecting point of the local bus system. All lines stop at this station, but have a close look as there are many stops for the different lines all around the square.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Airpunk's Profile Photo

    Oratorio di San Sebastiano

    by Airpunk Written Mar 6, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Oratorio di San Sebastiano

    Construction of this church began in 1494 and was finished in 1502. Its architect, Pace di Maso del Bombace died in 1500, before the church was finished. The church’s base plan is in form of a greek cross. Further plans to build a dome were already abolished during the construction phase. This early renaissance church, entirely made of bricks is not longer in use for religious purposes. It now serves as a hall for temporary art exhibitions.

    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Airpunk's Profile Photo

    Abbazia di San Mercuriale

    by Airpunk Written Mar 6, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Abbazia di San Mercuriale
    1 more image

    Forlí’s landmark was erected on the remains of a chapel which burnt down in 1173. It was finished in 1180 and compared to other buildings of similar age, it did not suffer from that many changes. The only mentionable change took place in the 16th century, when the apse was rebuilt. At least, this remained until WWII, when it was damaged during german bombings. From the 1950s, the church has been reconstructed to its original pre-war style.

    The tower is – with a height of 75 meters – still one of the highest in Italy. It is open for public on weekends.

    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Mundus's Profile Photo

    Terme di Castrocaro

    by Mundus Updated Oct 9, 2003

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Terme di Castrocaro

    Castrocaro Terme is a famous spa in the town of Castrocaro.

    Thanks to the therapeutic properties of the precious sodiobromidiodic and sulphurous waters used together with the most up-to-date scientifically proved curative techniques, the Castrocaro Spa has developed from 1843 up to the present day with the construction of three establishments which are now able to offer a wide range of treatment for the prevention and cure of numerous diseases with chronic tendencies.

    Highly effective is the sodio-iodic mud balneotherapy carried out using very particular naturally matured mud produced from "virgin clay" from the Bolga quarries and soaked in the water from the old well dedicated to Aristide Conti, the real pioneer in the development of the Castrocaro Spa. In the new Hydrokinesitherapy and Functional Re-education centre, equipped with gymnasium, physiotherapy department and therapeutic swimming pools, qualified staff perform every type of rehabilitative treatment.

    The medium grade sulphurous waters are particularly suitable for inhalatory therapies and are to be found in the characteristic Tempietto del Parco for drinking-water treatment. The sulphurous waters are also employed in the preparation of the very fine mud which is extremely effective in the eudermic treatments inside the brand new Thermal Aesthetic Cure Department.. This department, coupled with a pleasantly relaxing thermal swimming pool and every type of hydro-massage, does lymph drainage, aesthetic massage, and other treatments aimed at removing flaws in the face and body.

    A complete specialist medical assistance, personalised dietetic advice and gymnastics circuit in the 20 hectares of the Parco delle Terme, make a stay in Castrocaro Terme a real appointment with health and fitness.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Mundus's Profile Photo

    Town Hall and Tower

    by Mundus Written Oct 9, 2003

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Piazza Saffi

    This is a very old building, which was probably part of a fortress built sometime before the year 1000 A.D. Throughout its long history, the building was renovated and enlarged several times. It once served as the Oderlaffi family residence.

    In 1757, the town commissioned Antonio Galli Bibiena to build the main staircase and the reception hall, where beautiful frescoes from the school of Bibiena can still be admired.

    There is a very interesting little XV century loggia that opens in the back of the building, overlooking Piazzeta Della Misura.

    The town tower was rebuilt in 1975-76, after having been destroyed by the Germans during World War II.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Mundus's Profile Photo

    Ravaldino fortress

    by Mundus Updated Sep 25, 2003

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Ravaldino fortress

    The Ravaldino fortress, probably built in 1360 to defend the town, has been reconstructed and boasts several famous owners, among which Caterina Sforza and Cesare Borgia. In 1499, the Florentine scholar Niccolò Machiavelli praised its complicated hydraulic system, describing it in the seventh dialogue "Dell' arte della guerra" ("the art of war").

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Forlì

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

98 travelers online now

Comments

Forlì Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Forlì things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Forlì sightseeing.

View all Forlì hotels