Modena Restaurants

the entrance of the restaurant
    by catnl
  • Restaurants
    by catnl
    Me and my friend inside the restaurant
    by PALLINA

Most Recent Restaurants in Modena

• xaver's Profile Photo

Belvedere da Danilo: Don't miss the boiled meat

by xaver Updated Oct 1, 2012

pumpkin tortelli

This is a nice restaurant in the sentre of the town which offers mainly local dishes.
    I suggest you to eat local pumpkin tortelli and mixed boiled meat.
    It is absolutely heavy and hard to digest so may be it's better you go for lunch if you want to follow my suggestions, lambrusco is local good red sparkling wine.

Favorite Dish: The meat and the sauces were excellent.

• xaver's Profile Photo

La vecchia scarpa: Good old 80s

by xaver Written Oct 1, 2012

ham and salami

I actually should be disappointed with this place as they did not have any of the dishes nor beers I chosed from the menu, but I can't. This is a small pub like the ones we used to have a great time in the 80s and 90s before everyone became wine expert and wine bars grew up like grass.
    It is a small pub with a huge menu and nice staff.It's the only place which was not overcrowded on a saturday night, which is another good point.

Favorite Dish: Atmosphear.The name means old shoe.

• Beer Tasting

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

Ristorante Oreste: A jump in the '60

by oriettaIT Updated Oct 15, 2011

Front door

This place was like a trip in the '60, it is kind of an institution in Modena and it is well worth it.
    The restaurant has been directed by the same family since I think the '20 and moved to the current location in 1959. And it freezes there. All the forniture, chair, tables, decor, ceilin lamps, even the tiles are originals from back then. The person I belive is the owner explained us that it take a special effort to mantein the historical fashion of the place as the European laws are severe about electric plant, heater etc and It is a struggle to keep everything as it was.
    I got curious and ask him to give me a tour of the kitchen and, as we were the last customers he took us to the door so we can see inside. It was amazing, a real time capsule, look at my pictures to see.
    The menu was a good variety of Modena specialty, a little overpriced in my opinion but it was really done as the tradition say, they take proud on serving it without fancying it up like everybody else.

Favorite Dish: Pasta with Ragu alla modenese was very good. My friend appreciate the Pork fillet with a reduction of Traditional Balsamin Vinegar and I found the Bollito Misto con Salsa verde good.
    A special mention go to the outstanding dessert! Coppa Oreste is their specialty, the restaurant have been making it since ever and they keep the recipe intact. It is excellent, they serve it in a small cup but it is enough as it is very rich. I can't explain it you gotta try! in the desert photo it is the one with a cherry on top.

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

Ristorante Magnagallo: Taste the local specialty

by oriettaIT Updated Oct 15, 2011

Crescentine

This Hotel/Restaurant is easy to find straight out the A22 exit Campogagliano. I did not use the Hotel but I went to the Restaurant to dinner following the advice of a local friend.
    The dining room is sophisticately decorated, tables are not too cramped and the chairs are confortable.
    They have a good variery of local traditional food, including
    - gnocco fritto, some sort of bread dough they fry in pig's fat and it pouf out, you eat it with prosciutto or salami inside.
    - crescentine that is special bread dough they cook with a cast iron mold cald tigelliera, it turn out flat, warm and crispy outside. You cut it open and you eat it with a strutto cream and parmigiano cheese
    - anything made with Modena traditional balsamic vinegar.
    The food was cooked right and very tasty.
    They also have a good wine list but we ordered only some red house wine.

Favorite Dish: gnocco fritto and crescentine were great. Melt in your mouth.
    we also tried a risotto flavoured with parmigiano cheese and a reduction of balsamic vinegar and duck breast cooked in balsamic vinegar.
    We were sorry we were not very hungry or we will have try the gran fritto, a huge portion of fried meat and vegetables that is supposed to be one of their specialty. We saw it going to several tables and it looked great! we will have to go back.

Saporiamo: Pasta Stop

by painterdave Written Oct 10, 2011

Specializing in all types of pasta, from super fancy to speghetti.....Walk in and order by the weight.
    Even if you don't want to buy...it is worth a look, check out how the locals have access to good pasta, made fresh.

Favorite Dish: Ravioli filled with squash

• Seniors
    • Study Abroad

Forno Rafaello: Bakery Goodies

by painterdave Updated Oct 10, 2011

Front

At the corner of the big piazza of the Cathedral is this great bakery shop. You cannot buy drinks here, you buy and take to another bar for coffee. Always check to make sure at the bar that it is okay to do that. You don't want to show bad manners.
    But most of them will not think anything bad about it.
    This bakery had the most awesome apple brioche....Huge amounts of apple, and the taste was to die for.

Favorite Dish: You won't miss out, but you WILL have trouble deciding.

• School Holidays

Oreste: Time Travel For Taste

by painterdave Written Oct 10, 2011

take a look at the famous people who came here

If you have been misled to believe that spaghetti and meatballs is what Italians eat, then this is the place you need to go. Stereotypes will be broken and you will be in dining heaven when you sit down in Oreste and enjoy local cuisine.
    The owner strives to keep the decor as it was in the past, and his food the same. Don't be misled from the decor, sit down and enjoy the taste of Modena.

Favorite Dish: prices below include wine and dessert

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

La Barchetta: Tradition near A22 freeway exit

by PALLINA Updated Oct 6, 2011

If you are travelling on A22 freeway, which goes from Brenner to Modena and you have arrived until Modena, you are in Campogalliano, just 10 km far from Modena, home town of the first scale of the world.

It's just a jumb into the past: everything is the same as 20 or 30 years ago. Everything is home made and you can choose from what the best culinary tradition of Modena can offer. Do not go on Sundays, it's better to phone because it's very small. I dont think they can speak English.
    A pasta dish can cost 6-7 euros which is really cheap now.

Favorite Dish: the last time I ordered a tunafist fillet. half row. delicious

• Business Travel

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

Osteria Santa Chiara: tradition, courtesy and English menu

by PALLINA Updated Apr 4, 2011

Me with Russian friends in the restaurant terrace

Actually I crush into Costachiara by accident. But than I realized I spent some business dinner many years ago. Well, this trattoria is even better you can expect from a local restaurant in Emilia-Romagna: you can find not just traditional dishes like cappeletti in brodo, Parma Ham and traditional balsamic vinegar but also a very warm atmoshpere, a very kind owner trying to do its best to speak in English and the menu in English (not so easy to find here). Beside the menu, the owner will tell you the dish of the day. We had fantastic mushrooms tagliatelle (a sort of home-mage egg pasta, long but not cilindrical like spaghetti). As to wines, the choice is wide both for local Lambrusco (red and sparkling) and for other Italian red and white wines.

• Business Travel

• MM212's Profile Photo

Caffè Concerto: Café and restaurant at Piazza Grande

by MM212 Updated Nov 3, 2010

Caff�� Concerto - Apr 2010

Located on the ground floor of Palazzo Comunale, Caffè Concerto has the strategic views over Piazza Grande and il Duomo. The spacious establishment is graced by a beautiful dining room under the arches and vaulted ceilings of the palazzo and within its arched portico. It functions both as a café and as a restaurant during meal times. I stopped here for an afternoon coffee during my visit to Modena, but would have liked to try their menu with plates from the Emilia region. Perhaps next time!

• MM212's Profile Photo

Antica Trattoria Cervetta: Authentic modenese cuisine

by MM212 Updated Nov 3, 2010

When I visited Modena on a Sunday in April 2010, most restaurants were closed. So I asked a nice local lady at a bakery where I could find a restaurant that was open and served an authentic modenese meal. She directed me towards l'Antica Trattoria Cervetta, only a short distance south of Piazza Grande, and part of the tiny 3-star Hotel Cervetta. Although I hesitate when I saw that the restaurant was part of a hotel, my instinct told me to trust a local. And she was right, for the food was delicious and seemed very authentic. The use of balsamic vinegar of Modena in ways I had never seen before was a very tasty experience and was indicative of local recipes! I certainly would return here and would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Modena.

• Emily07's Profile Photo

Lunch at the market

by Emily07 Written Apr 29, 2007

For a delicious, and inexpensive lunch pay a visit to the food and produce market on Via Albinelli, one of the streets that runs off of Piazza Grande. After you’ve gotten your fill walking through the stalls filled with fresh and vibrant fruits and vegetables, stop by one of the bakeries to pick up a fresh roll. Then bring your roll over to one of the butchers and ask them to make “un panino con proscuitto crudo di parma.” Proscuitto crudo di parma is truly one of the greatest delicacies on earth with it’s smooth, velvety texture and light savory flavor. A few slices of proscuitto won’t cost too much, and it makes for a delicious, authentic lunch.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Forno San Giorgio: Fabulous Pasticceria

by sue_stone Written Nov 13, 2006

Forno San Giorgio

If you find yourself in need of a sweet treat whilst exploring Modena then you may well find yourself at Forno San Giorgio.

This tempting pasticceria has been satisfying the locals since 1902, and is a great place to stop off for a snack and a coffee.

Favorite Dish: We were tempted in on our first visit to Modena and drooled over the large selection of cakes and pastries. They also sell savoury snacks for those not after a sugar hit.

To be honest I can't remember exactly what we ate, but I do recall happy memories from this place....no doubt it was something evil!

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Ristorante Belvedere Da Danilo: Local Cuisine and friendly service

by sue_stone Written Nov 13, 2006

Antipasto della casa

On our night in Modena we had dinner at Ristorante Belvedere Da Danilo. The restaurant is located on a cobbled street, just north of Piazza Mazzini. There is a small covered terrace area along the street, and a decent size restaurant inside.

The evening we dined we didn't have a reservation and really wanted to sit outside as it was such a lovely evening. There was one little vacant table with a reserved sign on it, but when we enquired they whipped the sign of and gave us the table.

Service was quite friendly and slightly more efficient than the usual Italian style.

Favorite Dish: To start, we ordered the Antipasto della casa, which consisted of some meats and cheese served with some strange, but very tasty, cheesy puff things. We ordered a yummy bottle of Rosso di Montalcino to drink.

Main course for me was the Tagliatelline con Cinghiale (pasta with Wildboar sauce) and Alex had the Veal with mushrooms, ham and asparagus. Both were quite tasty. Dessert was Tiramisu for Alex….and a couple of spoonfuls for me.

The bill came to 63 euro.

• RanR's Profile Photo

Cant remember the name Doh!: Ooh Ooh Ice Cream

by RanR Updated Apr 15, 2006

Ice Cream In A bun!!! It's the future

I think this might be some kind Italian of Ice Cream chain of restaurants. It was situated on the main drag going out of Modena an american diner sort of affair. Stunning choice of Ice Cream I had 3 different types in a currant bun. Sick I know but well tasty. Pistaccio. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Favorite Dish: Err Ice Cream

Instant Answers: Modena

Comments

Modena Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Modena restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Modena sightseeing.