Parma Restaurants

• painterdave's Profile Photo

Trattoria Corrieri: Ravioli Headquarters

by painterdave Written Oct 17, 2012

Ring Side View of Ravioli Creation

Right in the center of Parma, just a stroll away from the Baptistry you will find a line of diners waiting to get inside Trattoria Corrieri. You will be glad you called ahead for a reservation, as you stand by a huge window where you can see the food being prepped and hear your name called. where else can you enjoy all that action?
    All those workers in there hurrying to get the food to you in the consistency handed down by several generations through the owner's family will not deter the taste that Parma citizens brag about. You are about to enter one of the oldest trattorias in Parma, one famous for the quality, the many selections and the experience of great food.
    I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Corrieri and I hope I have the chance to return again on my next visit.

Favorite Dish: There is a dish which features three different ravioli types. If you want to try a ravioli is probably different from what you are used to, this is for you.
    They also serve plates of ham with potatoes, we saw many of the locals ordering that. Of course, you are in the prosciutto center of Italy...
    Price below includes a bottle of wine.
    I have put two different pages from their menu so that you can see the selections and the prices.
    They have good wines that are not expensive, and their own label is quite good (white).

• JessieLang's Profile Photo

Corale Verdi: Dine by the park

by JessieLang Written Oct 23, 2011

Corale Verdi

Corale Verdi was recommended by our guide, and it seems to be a popular neighborhood place. We sat at a pleasant outside table.

Very little English spoken, but they could explain the ingredients in the dishes.

Opens at 7 p.m.

Favorite Dish: I had a very good pasta dinner (Tortelli alla Corale) for 7 Euro.

Al Tramezzo: Fresh fish and more

by Manara Updated Sep 22, 2011

For a number of years this place had been a favourite for those who wanted a quick bite, especially at night, because it used to be one of the few eateries still open after midnight. It gradually changed, turning into a proper restaurant, and when the owner (still the same) hired a very good chef the Tramezzo grew to the status of a Michelin-starred establishment. Now it offers a choice of fish-based dishes, as well as meat-based ones (they are listed separately on the menu) and has a very rich choice of wines.
    For the fans of raw fish and seafood, there is always a good choice that varies from day to day. There are also unusual but delicious combinations like, for instance, scallops and truffle.
    Service is not too formal, but there is a great attention to details in the table setting and in the presentation of dishes.
    If you go there you may be tempted to steal the battery-operated pepper-grinder, please don't.

Favorite Dish: Favourite starter: pagello (a fish) on a salad of fresh spinach with a passion-fruit dressing.

Parizzi: Innovative and trendy

by Manara Updated Sep 20, 2011

This restaurant has been famous in Parma since 1946. In the most recent years its style and reputation were revamped when a younger member of the dynasty became chef. Since then the cuisine has become more sophisticated and experimental. Apparently the change has been appreciated by restaurant critics, so now Parizzi has gained its own place in the Michelin guide as well as in the best Italian guides.
    The restaurant is inside an old building, but the furniture and decoration are modern, in line with the stylish presentation of the dishes. The wine list is very rich and interesting.
    The servings are not very big, but this means that at the end of the meal one may still have appetite enough for one of the delicious desserts.
    I wrote this review for the first time several years ago, but I have dined at Parizzi several times (the last one in July 2011) and I confirm that it is always up to its reputation.

Favorite Dish: Menus change according to seasons (fresh ingredients are a must for certain dishes) and with the new creations by the chef. I will mention just one of my favourite desserts: the most delicious Tortino al Cioccolato, a soft chocolate cake with a filling of hot chocolate and grappa, counterbalanced by some citrus sorbet served by the side.

Cocchi: Traditional Parma cuisine at its best

by Manara Updated Sep 20, 2011

It is a place where I like to take my guests to make them try our local food, and I have never been disappointed. Besides excellent food you will find here an extensive wine list. By the way, if you have a budget and want to stick with it you should pay attention especially to the prices of wines, because some of them are really steep.
    The atmosphere is not too formal, more in the style of a family restaurant.

Favorite Dish: The "Savarin di riso" is a delicious risotto wrapped in ham. As a main course I would recommend the roasted duck with roasted potatoes.
    In addition to the dishes on the menu there are always some suggestions from the chef, normally excellent suggestions.

La Buca: Culatelloshire

by PALLINA Updated Jun 16, 2011

Pic from the res. web-site

Run by women from generations, this traditional trattoria is an astonishing jump into the past for the exceptional quality of the ingredients and their preparation. In the hearth of "Culatello-shire" (Culatello is a sort of Parma Ham, but from the best part of the pork's leg and must be aged more), between the provinces of Parma and Cremona and just aside the Po River, this trattoria will impress you although you are rather used to good traditional Italian cuisine. The ambience is simple but accurate (we sit in a nice outdoor dehors), full of nice pictures of one of the two owners (Miriam and Laura, mother and daughter), a collection of grappa, two ancient mechanical slicers. You cannot miss a visit to the cellar, so many culatello and salami hanging over!!!!

Favorite Dish: Starters: all sliced things are amazing, you can miss culatello but also spalla cotta is great
    First courses: tagliatelle al culatello and tortelli di zucca were delicious
    Second courses: Mariola with zabaione (sorry it's impossibile to translate) were a surprise together with Trippa
    Desserts: I had a fantastic peach-tart but everything looked special

• Motorcycle

Mulino di Torrechiara: Eating at the Mill

by von.otter Updated Feb 27, 2011
    Mulino di Torrechiara, June 2010

This restaurant is not in Parma, but in Torrechiara, in the province of Parma, south of the city.

We took lunch here after touring the fabulous castle up on the hill. This mulino (mill) is the most logical place to eat after touring the castle. You can spend the morning at the castle and have lunch here, as we did.

The food was simple but very good. Dining al fresco was a delight.

• Castles and Palaces

Locanda del Colle da Oscar: A Simple Country Restaurant

by von.otter Updated Feb 27, 2011
    Locanda del Colle da Oscar, Tabiano, June 2010

This restaurant is not in Parma, but in Tabiano in the province of Parma, south of the city in the hills. It is about a 20-30 minute drive from Parma. If you are in the Parma region I recommend highly seeking out this top-notch eatery.

We spent two weeks in Emilia-Romagna and Le Marche. The meal I had here was the best!

The atmosphere was wonderful; with breathtaking views and a charming outdoor setting this restaurant was ideal. We got personal attention from the owner/chef, Oscar. He was a very personable man with great English skills; he had been a chef at the Hilton Hotel in New York City for 12 years. The operation here is a family affair: Oscar’s wife is a waitress and his son is preparing the meals.

The food was outstanding, as was the wine.

Favorite Dish: The panna cotta dessert was heavenly!

• Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits

Antica Cereria Ristorante: A Local, Family Restaurant

by von.otter Written Feb 6, 2011
    Antica Cereria Ristorante, Parma , June 2010

Antica Cereria Ristorante and Museo Casa Natale Arturo Toscanini are neighbors on the same street. The location is outside the main historic center, on the opposite side of the River Po. It is really easy to reach though and deserves your time and effort.

Tom swooned over his little herb purses (see photos #1 & #3) swimming in butter, followed by ham (see photo #5).

The dining rooms quickly filled with entire families out for their mid-day meal. Several generations of one family were seated at tables throughout the restaurant.

The food was excellent; the service was professional; the atmosphere was lively and entertaining.

• Museum Visits

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Santa Chiara Trattoria: Elegant, excellent, intimate

by Bunsch Written Jul 31, 2010

After a morning of gawking at art and walking through the hot, sunny streets, we were ready for a splendid lunch accompanied by lashings of crisp white wine. We happened to be buying little gifts at the Parma violet shop on via della Reppublica, so we asked the proprietor to make a recommendation for us. Unhesitatingly, she pointed us to the Trattoria Santa Chiara, giving directions in Italian but claiming that it was "to miss, impossible." Not for us! Luckily, everyone else we asked in taking our roundabout route also knew of it and seemed to approve the choice, which was fully vindicated once we arrived and were taken in hand by the manager, who basically suggested the entire meal.

I started with the Parmesan flan with very old balsamic vinegar -- a blend of taste and texture which was unusual and delightful. Then we tried two typical Parma dishes: anolini, tiny, bell-shaped pasta stuff with meat in a tomato sauce, and spinach-and-ricotta ravioli. Homemade ice cream with fresh berries completed our meal.

(Not to spoil the review, but I gave the toilet facilities four stars!)

• Wine Tasting

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Gallo d'Oro: Combine two of the three Parma notables here

by Bunsch Updated Jul 31, 2010

Unbelievable prosciutto!

We selected Gallo d'Oro because it came highly recommended as a source for great regional cooking in a couple of the Parma guide books and by our hotel. Finding it was a little difficult, which wouldn't have been so bad if the heat had been less oppressive on the evening we visited. However, there was a little breeze so we decided to sit at one of the outdoor tables. (We actually had reservations, which are essential if you want to dine there after nine in the evening.) My companion wasn't a fan of melon, so the Parma prosciutto and melon didn't appeal to her, but this seemed like the right place to try it since I could see the slicing machines just inside the door, with several haunches of different meats ready to be prepared for charcuterie.

For ten euros, I got an IMMENSE plate of prosciutto, lavishly draped over slices of a perfectly ripe cantaloupe. It would have made a dinner all by itself!

What followed was truly heavenly, a dish of Parmigiano Reggiano risotto that was so thick and creamy and absolutely marvelous that I could have died happily while eating it. My companion, who'd truffled out in Volterra, tried a pasta dish which was also very good but not memorable enough for me to write about. With these, at our very helpful server's suggestions, we had a carafe of the local white wine, having begun with a demi-carafe of the locally produced Lambrusco which we'd both remembered as being vile stuff in our undergraduate days, but which was light and sparkling on the palate and a suitable accompaniment to our primi piatti.

At the next table was an English woman, married to a Dutch gentleman but dining alone, and behind us, a French fellow. We got involved in a discussion about the World Cup and it turned into a very pleasant evening.

Don't limit yourself to the outdoor seating, though -- take a look at the "cave" below where the great hams are stored and to say that it is atmospheric is an understatement!

Favorite Dish: Everyone we saw who ordered the piadina (a type of fried bread, sometimes topped with one of the various cuts of Parma ham) was raving about it. I was sorry we didn't have room to try it.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

bar cluny: delicious parma ham and cheese

by call_me_rhia Written May 19, 2010

A great place for simple but delicious food... a huge plate of parma and and parmigiano reggiano cheese and a glass of winde for very little - maybe 15 euros. Excellent cakes as well, i think I had the coconut one, last time I went there. Definitely yummy (and I'm not a coconut fan).

Favorite Dish: All... but now the bar/restaurant is gone... replaced by a perfum shop. How sad.

Podere San Faustino: yummy yummy

by PALLINA Written Feb 8, 2010

Located not far from freeway A1 exit in a former anciant cowshed, this place combines innovation and the best Parma's cuisine. There is a big room (in the former cowshed) with a big "salumi" table in the middle (where all salumi are sliced with artcrafted maschines) and salumi hanging from the wall. Tables are sufficiently far from another. Food is really good; do not miss salumi with torta fritta (literally fried pie...it substitues bread but it's a tasty fried stuff) or primi piatti. Main courses and desserts are also outstanding, although portions are not that big, upon my tastes.

Favorite Dish: I tried:
    torta fritta and mixed salumi
    potatoes gnocchi with hare sauce and foie-gras
    apples tarte tatin

Trattoria Al Vedel: Two hundred years

by Manara Updated Sep 21, 2009

Do you know many restaurants that have been run by the same family for over 200 years? I know only this one. The owner's ancestors were running it back in 1790!
    The interior decoration and furniture must have been very different at that time, not to mention the road!

Favorite Dish: The food is typical of the region: tagliatelle, tortelli, Parma ham etc. If you do not know what I am talking about you have to do something soon to fill this gap. Currently, my fav is the risotto with mushrooms and 'salame fresco', i.e. the minced pork that is normally used to make salami.
    If you want a vegetarian option, try the melanzane alla parmigiana, but only after a first course of the very traditional tortelli d'erbetta (with a filling of ricotta cheese and beet leaves).

ai due Platani: What a surprise

by PALLINA Written Jan 20, 2009

Outside the Old town, difficult to find (you have to drive a car) but it worths a lot! The ambience is accurate, the service very quick and nice, people are very young. Despite of this, the tradition of Parma's dishes is really well respected and represented. They offer a wide selection of local hams&salami, but also the choice of first and main dishes is great. Do not miss tortelli di zucca (pumpkin ravioli), for istance. Desserts are also georgeus.

Favorite Dish: Tortelli di zucca
    Zabaione con torta sbrisolona

• Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Parma

Comments

Parma Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Parma restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Parma sightseeing.