Mosaics, Ravenna

Know about this? Rate It!

I liked this one
    A sampling of the works
  • Mosaics
  • iandsmith's Profile Photo

Mosaics - Chiesa di San Domenico

by iandsmith Updated Dec 29, 2009

Chiesa di San Domenico with wonderful architecture

Favorite thing: Purely by chance we happened to arrive in Ravenna at the same time their first mosaic festival was on.
    Purely by chance (not really, I stick my head into old churches all the time) I walked into this old building and lo, there was a mosaic exhibition. Better still, it was free.
    Of course, these were not the ancient mosaics that Ravenna has become famous for. No, this was your modern version.
    The edifice is located in Ravenna at the beginning of Via Cavour. Once called the Church of S. Maria in Callopes:
    Built in 1269 and enlarged in 1374, it was equipped in the facade with arches where the burials were placed. One sees traces on either side of the entrance door of the pointed arches (three on each side), and also you notice traces of two windows on either side of the round. The Church Ravenna was almost entirely rebuilt in the early eighteenth century and designed by Giambattista Contini.
    This church has lost its old name, and is now known as Dominic. Situated on the banks of the Padenna it deserves attention because it is considered that here there was the Old Capitol Ravenna.
    Today it is mainly used for exhibitions and artistic performances and provides an interesting destination for the discerning tourist in Ravenna.

Fondest memory: There was a wonderful ambience inside the spacious area, draped with dark curtains around where the aisles would originally have been. The quality of the works surprised me, accustomed as I am to walking in to look at modern art and being disappointed.
    Not only that, it was eclectic and I thoroughly enjoyed the mosaics on display and their different interpretations of what you can do with the medium.
    I didn't take the picture of the old church until I left the building and it was fascinating to see the different layers of architecture. I could count at least four on this wonderful building that once was the church of San Domenico.

• Festivals