By Car: How Far/How Long...?
* By Car:
- Motorway A4 Venezia-Trieste
- Motporway A23 Tarvisio-Udine
Exit casello di Palmanova, 17 km. from Aquileia.
Some road distances to Aquileia from:
- Rome (Italy): 645 kms.
- Sofia (Bulgaria): 1.047 kms.
- Madrid (Spain): 1.938 kms.
- Tallinn (Estonia): 2.219 kms.
Checking the website, you’ll find more road distances together with the driving times and the best routes.
How to get there
* By Train:
- Railway station of Cervignano del Friuli, line Venezia - Trieste, at 8 kms. from Aquileia; there are buses to Aquileia.
* By Plane:
- Trieste Airport, with buses to Aquileia.
- Venezia (Venice)-Marco Polo Airport, at 120 kms. with buses to Venezia (Venice) and train to Cervignano del Friuli.
* By Car: See next tip.
Aquileia is a small village and everything is very walkable. Unless you have a special reason, there is no need for a car here.
There is also a small bicycle rental outfit in town if you prefer to make your way around the village a little faster.
Getting to Aquileia
If you are in Venezia or Trieste, take the train running between the 2 cities and stop in Cervignano. From Venezia, it is about 90 min, and from Trieste, 45 min.
Once you get off the train, you will have to wait outside the train station for the bus going to Grado. This bus ride will take about 10 min before you have to get off in Aquileia.
If you are not arriving in the morning, don't forget that buses stop running between Cervignano and Grado between noon and 2 PM. A taxi ride will be expensive. Also note that if you are staying just for a day trip, when leaving Aquileia, the last bus to Cervignano leaves around 8 or 9 PM.
For fares and timetables, check the website.
Venezia-Marco Polo Airport
Aquileia is some 120 kms. east of Venezia/Venice, so, flying to this city could be convenient.
- Second and third: What I saw from the plane after take off (leaving Venice).