Duomo e Museo Cristiano
The construction of this Venetian Gothic building came back from the middle of the 15th century by Bartolomeo delle Cisterne. After the collapse of a right pillar, which destroyed part of the church in 1502, the reconstruction of the monument was made by the architect Pietro Lombardo, who modelled it after the Gothic-Renaissance style. The church presents a combination of two different styles: Venetian Gothic and Renaissance.
In 1776 the interior was widely restructured by the architect Giorgio Massari and finally finished by his student, Bernardino Maccaruzzi.
The Christian Museum, annexed to the Cathedral, houses some historical masterpieces such as the silver altarpiece of Pellegrino II (presbytery), the 13th century wooden Crucifix (left aisle) and two paintings by Palma the Younger (Chapel of S. S. Sacramento).
Saint Mary in Valley Oratory or Little Longobard Temple represents the most complete and the most intriguing Upper Middle Ages monument.
The building is formed by a square room with a cross-vault and by the presbytery with three little barrel aisles, it is also characterized by beautiful finely stucco decorations of six feminine figures, probably six Saints (VIII century), with the cavity that was once filled up with vitrea paste. A big carved vine archivolt under the feminine figures stands out and it encloses a fresco of Christ between two Archangels Michael and Gabriel (VIII cen.) and other frescoes of the same period, situated in the middle section of the western wall. The works have been ascribed to Byzantine masters, which came to the west after the iconoclast war.
In the room one can admire a series of wooden desks of the XIV century decorated with vine leaves motives and with images of fantasy animals. The fresco of the central vault represents Christ enclosed in an almond and on the sides the adoration of the wise men and a theory of saints (Elisabetta d'Alessandria, Maria Maddalena, Giovanni Battista, Antonio Abate and Benedetto).
09:30-12:30 / 15:00-17:00*
09:30-12:30 / 14:30-18:00**
09:30-12:30 / 15:00-18:30*
09:30-13.00 / 15:00-19:30**
Ponte del Diavolo
The first news about this bridge go back to the 13th century. At the beginning it was a wooden structure, but in 1422 a stone bridge, planned by Iacopo Daguso from Bissone, began to be built and the construction was followed by Erardo from Villacco and were finished by Bartolomeo delle Cisterne.
In October 1917 the bridge was blown up by Italian troops attempting to slow down the enemy and it was rebuilt by the Germans in 1918.
The present bridge is 22 m high over the Natisone river and 50 m long and it is supported by two impressive arches standing on a big natural rock.
La Casa Medioevale
The construction of this medieval house, believed as the oldest house of Cividale, dates back to the second half of the XIV century, and it was once a goldsmith's workshop.
The building was built on a former structure, probably a tower, as the square stones of the right external wall seem to show. Inside one can find a medieval fragment belonging to a little pillar.
Nowadays the medieval building houses a goldsmith workshop settling again its original function.
CIVIDALE DEL FRUILI- Old Town Gate
Cividale del Fruili is a charming medivial town of Venetia, Italy. It is situated on the river Natisone, which forms a picturesque ravine here.
My photo, shows the old town's gate on the southern side of the town.
CIVIDALE DEL FRUILI
In this small alehouse, we made a break. We were impressed with many beauties and treasures which house the town of Cividale, Pleasantly tired , a warm cup of tea, or coffee or even a drop of strong drink did so good to us.
CIVIDALE - the Tempietto Longobardo
The Tempietto Longobardo is almost a quadratic building, built in 8th century. During the centuries, it was reconstructed several times.
The photo was taken inside the Tempetto and you can see the pews dated back to the 14 th century.
CIVIDALE The Lombard Temple
Tempietto Longobardo (the Lombard Temple) was originaly the residency of Lombard's King, At the end of the 1800's it belonged to the Urshuline nunnery. They donated it to the community of Cividale.
On the photo:
The six feminine statues that have been thought figures of saints and four of them have been identified as martyrs. They looks like made of ivory.
Another detail from the inside of the Tempietto. The frescoes date from the XI to the end of XIV century. Many of them have been recently moved and exposed in the Christian Museum and the archaeological Museum.
Just a short walk from the public square of the Duomo you reach to the Tempietto Longobardo (the Lombard Temple). This photo was taken at the entrance to the Temple. It is situated on the bank of the Natisone river.
In the middle of the Piazza P. Diacono this beautiful monument is erected. In the background there is seen a building known as Pablo Diacono's house. I can imagine, how lively is there in the square during the main season.
This medivial town is simply joyfulness for tourist and photographer. No matter where you look, you always find a motive worth to take a picture of. This beautiful square is encircled with colourful old buildings.
Strolling around this medivial city, on that rainy day I admired all those so well kept houses. After earthquake, they renovated badly damaged houses, they still do. It is noticed that they do the best to preserve their former appearance.
This is a view in the derection of another sight, really "a must see" one - the Templetto Lombardo.
See how steep and rocky is the bank of the river,and howe beautiful colored houses are visible from the bridge, and the campanille of the church...
CIVIDALE - a sight
This photo taken from the Devils's Bridge is focused onto the old buildings located just over the bridge. In the back there is the campanille and Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta (seen just a tiny piece)
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates