Know about this? Rate It!
Tram de Opcina
The tram de Opcina is a 105-year-old rack-railway line that connects Piazza Oberdan in Trieste to the suburb of Villa Opicina. It correspond to line 2 of the public transport network. The track is five kilometres long but the tram takes half an hour to cover them, due to the steepness.
It is used mainly by people of Opicina who work in Trieste, but I suggest you'd take it or you would miss some wonderful landscapes!
This is a strange tip in that it concerns the tramway which was not in operation while we were there. I don't think they expect it to be out of service for a very long period but you can always check at Piazza Oberdan. It seems that most folks take this cog rail to Opicina more for the ride than for the destination. However, we decided to go by bus anyway. There are some scenic views on the bus but I am sure it can't compare to the tram. Opicina is a pleasant little town just norht of Trieste and is about 1000 feet above the sea. We didn't spend much time there but strolled through the town, found a wonderful shop selling beautiful colored marzipan (see the photo). Then we stopped for coffee and a pastry at a nice little sidewalk cafe called Bar Vatta. Oh yes, along the stroll we paused to admire a statue of Maximillian.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Trieste Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Laguindingan Hotels
- New Hampshire Hotels
- Zimbabwe Hotels
- Kepong Hotels
- Las Vegas
- Florida Off The Beaten Path
- Chicago Off The Beaten Path
- Venice Off The Beaten Path
- Georgia Off The Beaten Path
- Tennessee Off The Beaten Path
- Philadelphia Off The Beaten Path
- DAY TRIPS AROUND MUMBAI
- Washington State Off The Beaten Path
- Portland Off The Beaten Path
- Key West Off The Beaten Path
- Las Vegas Off The Beaten Path
- Mackinac Island Off The Beaten Path