Trieste Restaurants

by solopes
    by solopes

Most Recent Restaurants in Trieste

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Bar-pasticceria Urbanis.: Have lunch in the city center.

by Maurizioago Updated Jan 18, 2014

Bar-pasticceria Urbanis is a meeting place where people go to have an aperitivo (drink taken before meals). Here you can have lunch as well. At Urbanis they serve a good choice of first and second courses. They also have sandwiches and desserts.

Here food is really cheap. Drinks served at the table are not.

Urbanis is an historic cafe, but it is modern furnished.

It is better to book a seat if you like to have lunch, because there are not many places to sit inside this cafe.

Favorite Dish: Pasta with shrimps and lasagne with radicchio rosso (a kind of salad) were good.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Sircelli.: Some years ago it was a bakery.

by Maurizioago Updated Jan 18, 2014

This nice cafe-confectionery was opened in 1933 as a bakery. Some years ago it was enlarged and completely modernized.

At Sircelli' s you can find a large selection of pastries, cakes, some savoury food as pizza by the slice and various kinds of bread.

Sometimes it is a problem to find a seat here. This cafe is quite small.

Favorite Dish: I like their apple pie and the pastry with pear and chocolate.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Buffet Rudy.: Goulash, sausages, beer and more.

by Maurizioago Updated Jan 18, 2014

Buffet Rudy is a a restaurant where you can have Italian, local and Bavarian dishes. Every time I am in Trieste I use to go there for dinner. The food is very good and the portions are big.

The only downside of this restaurant is that is quite a noisy place. The reason is because it has only a dining room and part of it is a bar; a popular bar I can say.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dishes at Rudy's are pasta (noodles) with vegetables and gnocchi (dumplings) with cheeses.

• Beer Tasting

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

La Tecia: Trattoria Triestina

by croisbeauty Updated Aug 28, 2013

Trattoria Triestina

There are couple of very good restaurants in Trieste, especially those situated along Riviera di Barcola. In spite of that I suggest you the taste of local Mediterranean cuisine in one of the small trattorias which can be find in the second row of the streets behind Riva. This one, unfortunatelly I cannot remember the name, is situated very close to the hotel Duci d'Aosta.
    Thanks to the member C.M., I find the name of the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Definetely the seafood.
    - spaghetti al olio con peperoncino
    - calamari ala grilla
    - wine of course

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Caffe degli Specchi: One of the classic Italians novecento caffes

by croisbeauty Updated Aug 10, 2013

Caffe degli Specchi

This is not restaurant, of course, although you can get excellent sandwiches here for exorbitant prices.
    Caffe degli Specchi is mythical places in Trieste, almost inevitable when exploring the town. More or less, its terrace is always occupied, more with the locals then with the tourists. Actually, the terrace, overlooking Piazza D'Unita, is out of service only under the strong "bora" conditions. (Bora is very strong northern wind which freezing you to the bonds).

Favorite Dish: Caffe degli Specchi is one of my favourite places when visiting Trieste, and no metter if winter or summer season, Im always sitting outdoor (except under the bora wind). It is unique experience being here at Sunday noon, in the early spring or late fall when sun is shining over Piazza. The
    "whole" Trieste can be seen here at that specific times, walking, chatting and showing on Piazza D'Unita. Ladies in fur coats, walking the dogs, gentlemens in designed suits and bunch of beautiful kidds running all over the piazza.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Cafe del Mar: Good and cheap

by solopes Written Feb 17, 2013

Cafe del Mar - Triste

We had lunch in a small restaurant, in the centre of town, with a modern look and... not too many people, which uses to be a bad sign.

We had a common italian meal, based in pasta, but very tasteful.

Well done, nice ambiance, and the usual low price for pasta.

Birreria Forst

by HORSCHECK Updated Aug 20, 2012

Birreria Forst

Birreria Forst is a traditional Italian pub-restaurant chain, which is owned by the Meran valley based Forst brewery.

The Birreria Forst in Trieste was located just around the corner from our Hotel Albergo alla Posta, so one evening we decided to give it a try.

The spacious rooms with wooden furniture have a seating capacity of up to 200 people, so Birreria Forst can accommodate large groups. Outdoor seating is not available.

When we visited the place one early evening we were almost the only customers, but on other evenings we also saw the restaurant completely packed with people.

The menu offers a mix of international and tradition Italian pub-food. I opted for a Ljubljanska, which is also widely known as Cordon Bleu (meat filled with boiled ham and cheese).

To drink I had a big Forst Kronen beer (5,00 Euro). My meal was tasty and filling and with 11,00 Euro resonably priced. 1,50 Euro as service charge (coperto) was added to the bill.

Ristorante Pizzeria O'Scugnizzo

by HORSCHECK Updated Aug 19, 2012

Ristorante Pizzeria O'Scugnizzo: My pizza

As Ristorante Pizzeria O'Scugnizzo was located just around the corner from our hotel, we already came across the place on two evenings before we finally visited it for dinner on the third evening. The restaurant was always packed with people; probably mainly locals.

We were quite lucky to get one of the very last free tables, although a "reserved" sign was standing on it. The restaurant consists of only one relatively small room and doesn't have any outdoor terrace. So it is not the place for a romantic evening, but for a yummy Italian dinner in the appropriate atmosphere.

The menu offers a wide range of pizzas as well as other Italian dishes. The pizzas come only in one size which I would call quite big. My pizza Nordica, which was covered with salami and sausage pieces, was tasty and very filling.

With 5,00 Euro for a big Peroni beer, 7,50 Euro for my pizza, 3,50 Euro for a Limoncello and 1,50 Euro service charge (coperto) the bill was reasonably priced.

Ristorante Pizzeria Vulcania

by HORSCHECK Updated Aug 19, 2012

Ristorante Pizzeria Vulcania: Mista Pizza

On our first evening in Trieste we chose Ristorante Pizzeria Vulcania for our dinner. As the weather was a bit rainy we took a seat inside. On sunny days an outdoor terrace is available as well.

The menu offers a large assortment of Italian dishes from pizza and pasta to meat and fish meals. We were quite surprised that unfortunately many dishes weren't available.

I finally opted for a Mista Pizza (8,00 Euro) and a Heineken beer (2,00 Euro), as no Italian beers were listed on the menu.

A service charge (coperto) of 1,00 Euro per person was added to our bill.

My pizza was really good, but all in all we were a bit disappointed with the limited choice. To sum it up, I think that there are better options for a nice dinner in Trieste, although Ristorante Pizzeria Vulcania was not too bad. Maybe we just visited the place on the wrong day.

Kapuziner Keller

by HORSCHECK Written Aug 19, 2012

Kapuziner Keller: Cutlet Milanese style

After more than 10 days in Italy with mainly local food, we thought that it was about time for a change. So on our last day in Trieste we gave the Kapuziner Keller a try. It is a traditional Bavarian restaurant with a focus on Bavarian cuisine, but Italian dishes are available as well.

The interior of the Kapuziner Keller is equipped with typical German wooden beer restaurant furniture. As a German I found it quite funny to visit the place and have a look at all the details of the decoration.

I had the cutlet Milanese style (9,00 Euro), a mixed salad (3,50 Euro) and a Kulmbacher beer (4,00 Euro). At the end of the evening I also ordered a Limoncello for 2,30 Euro. Everything was yummy and in my opinion reasonably priced.

Spritz@lunch

by HORSCHECK Written Aug 19, 2012

Spritz@lunch: My Spaghetti Pomodoro Fresco e Basil

We once had a late lunch at Spritz@lunch. The place categorises itself as Ristopizza, whatever that is.

We mainly chose Spritz@lunch due to its nice outdoor terrace directly at the Canal Grande and not due to the food. The multilingual menu offers a selection of standard pizza, pasta and other quick Italian dishes.

I ordered Spaghetti Pomodoro Fresco e Basilico (8,00 Euro) and a mineal water, which came in a 0,5 l bottle (1,50 Euro). The Spagetthi were only mediocre, but still good enough to enjoy the scenery at the Canal Grande and do some people watching. Service charge (coperto) was 1,00 Euro.

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

Salumare Il laboratorio del pesce: The fish laboratory

by oriettaIT Written Jul 11, 2012

Front of the shop

This eateries was suggested to me by one of my cooking forum friends. Unfortunately when we went there the eating area was in plain sun and as it was a very hot day we did not felt like seating there, even if there was a awning and some fresh water sprayer to keep the customer cool.
    I regret it now as it looked like a very particular place with some unusual fish preparation.
    It is not properly a restaurant, it is more like a fish gourmet shop with some seat.
    There is no service at the table, you go inside, choose your meal from the counter and eat it.
    They have a big selection of smoked fish, fish salad and fish spreads. You can pick up your own choices and pay by the weight or decide for one of their combined plate, to have a taste of their best stuff.
    It is open Tuesday to Sunday, from 11.00am to 2.00pm and from 6.00pm to 9.00pm.
    I would definitely try it next time I go to Trieste.

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

Mascalzone Latino: Eat like in Naples in Trieste

by oriettaIT Written Jul 11, 2012

Octopus salad

This restaurant is in a quiet pedestrian area of Trieste, a little out of the main area where most of the people stop.
    It attracted us because the shady outdoor area with comfortable chair and because of some inviting specialties we read on the menu (had to ask for one, it was not on display).
    It looks like one of those Naples family business that open all over Italy and, everywhere, cook excellent pizza and great seafood.
    The outdoor seating area has big umbrellas but if it is too hot or it is winter, you can seat inside where there are several tables with chair and benches around the perimeter.
    The staff is 100% Naples and very friendly, the owner on the other hand seemed a bit on the lazy side as he spent most of the time we were there surfing the internet.
    The pizza guy is a real character! take a look at the picture nr 4!
    Their menu is in Italian, English and German. It is closed on Monday.

Favorite Dish: We had fried pizza dough as appetizer, it was not oily at all, crunchy and very good, maybe just a little too salty so if you can't eat too much salt kindly tell them when you order to add little salt.
    Than we ordered two different kind of octopus salad, one with rucola, cherry tomatoes and potatoes and the other with tomatoes and beans, unfortunately I forgot to write down the creative name they give to those, but they were very good, the octopus tender and not rubbery at all.
    With a bottle of water and half a liter of wine the bill was 35 euros in 2012.

• painterdave's Profile Photo

Mescalzone Latino: Pasta Style of Naples!

by painterdave Updated Jul 5, 2012

Fried Bread Naples Style

We were walking away from the big Piazza, found a small medieval type street and followed in along looking for a fish restaurant. Finding that restaurant too expensive and having to eat on tall stools, we chose to go across the street to this Trattoria run by a family from Naples. We sat outside and enjoyed the cool day, while eating some specialties not usually found in the north. See the first photo of fried bread....
    The service was quick, and everything was clean.
    See photos for foods we tried.
    I liked this place because the street is totally pedestrian and you can eat in peace and quiet with few people walking by. I also like the sauce that you find in the south, a bit more spicy.
    closed Mondays

• Wine Tasting

• painterdave's Profile Photo

Trattoria Alla Marina: Worth The Drive To Muggia

by painterdave Written Jun 26, 2012

Fried Anchovies

A friend of ours who is in an Italian Cooking Forum runs a food shop in Trieste, and she recommended this trattoria as being reasonably priced with great food. This tip turned out to be our best trattoria in our visit to Trieste.
    We would definitely return on our next visit.
    The trattoria's eating area faces the harbor, and it has covered seating and outdoor. The only difference is that the outdoor has plastic chairs, but being right on the water is nice.
    The service was super fast, and efficient. The prices were reasonable in comparison with other fish restaurants in this area.

Favorite Dish: My fried anchovies were fresh and so very light in texture, we also had another anchovie dish marinated in vinegar.

Instant Answers: Trieste

Comments

Trieste Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Trieste restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Trieste sightseeing.