Trieste Restaurants

by solopes

Best Rated Restaurants in Trieste

Ristorante Pizzeria Vulcania

by HORSCHECK Updated Aug 19, 2012

On our first evening in Trieste we chose Ristorante Pizzeria Vulcania for our dinner. As the weather was a bit rainy we took a seat inside. On sunny days an outdoor terrace is available as well.

The menu offers a large assortment of Italian dishes from pizza and pasta to meat and fish meals. We were quite surprised that unfortunately many dishes weren't available.

I finally opted for a Mista Pizza (8,00 Euro) and a Heineken beer (2,00 Euro), as no Italian beers were listed on the menu.

A service charge (coperto) of 1,00 Euro per person was added to our bill.

My pizza was really good, but all in all we were a bit disappointed with the limited choice. To sum it up, I think that there are better options for a nice dinner in Trieste, although Ristorante Pizzeria Vulcania was not too bad. Maybe we just visited the place on the wrong day.

Ristorante Pizzeria Vulcania: Mista Pizza Ristorante Pizzeria Vulcania

Birreria Forst

by HORSCHECK Updated Aug 20, 2012

Birreria Forst is a traditional Italian pub-restaurant chain, which is owned by the Meran valley based Forst brewery.

The Birreria Forst in Trieste was located just around the corner from our Hotel Albergo alla Posta, so one evening we decided to give it a try.

The spacious rooms with wooden furniture have a seating capacity of up to 200 people, so Birreria Forst can accommodate large groups. Outdoor seating is not available.

When we visited the place one early evening we were almost the only customers, but on other evenings we also saw the restaurant completely packed with people.

The menu offers a mix of international and tradition Italian pub-food. I opted for a Ljubljanska, which is also widely known as Cordon Bleu (meat filled with boiled ham and cheese).

To drink I had a big Forst Kronen beer (5,00 Euro). My meal was tasty and filling and with 11,00 Euro resonably priced. 1,50 Euro as service charge (coperto) was added to the bill.

Birreria Forst Birreria Forst: My Ljubljanska dish Inside Birreria Forst Birreria Forst: My big Forst Kronen beer

Spritz@lunch

by HORSCHECK Written Aug 19, 2012

We once had a late lunch at Spritz@lunch. The place categorises itself as Ristopizza, whatever that is.

We mainly chose Spritz@lunch due to its nice outdoor terrace directly at the Canal Grande and not due to the food. The multilingual menu offers a selection of standard pizza, pasta and other quick Italian dishes.

I ordered Spaghetti Pomodoro Fresco e Basilico (8,00 Euro) and a mineal water, which came in a 0,5 l bottle (1,50 Euro). The Spagetthi were only mediocre, but still good enough to enjoy the scenery at the Canal Grande and do some people watching. Service charge (coperto) was 1,00 Euro.

Spritz@lunch: My Spaghetti Pomodoro Fresco e Basil Spritz@lunch: Outdoor terrace Spritz@lunch: My Spaghetti Pomodoro Fresco e Basil Spritz@lunch: Outdoor terrace Ristopizza Spritz@lunch

Kapuziner Keller

by HORSCHECK Written Aug 19, 2012

After more than 10 days in Italy with mainly local food, we thought that it was about time for a change. So on our last day in Trieste we gave the Kapuziner Keller a try. It is a traditional Bavarian restaurant with a focus on Bavarian cuisine, but Italian dishes are available as well.

The interior of the Kapuziner Keller is equipped with typical German wooden beer restaurant furniture. As a German I found it quite funny to visit the place and have a look at all the details of the decoration.

I had the cutlet Milanese style (9,00 Euro), a mixed salad (3,50 Euro) and a Kulmbacher beer (4,00 Euro). At the end of the evening I also ordered a Limoncello for 2,30 Euro. Everything was yummy and in my opinion reasonably priced.

Kapuziner Keller: Cutlet Milanese style Kapuziner Keller Inside Kapuziner Keller Kapuziner Keller: Kulmbacher beer Kapuziner Keller: My mixed salad

Ristorante Pizzeria O'Scugnizzo

by HORSCHECK Updated Aug 19, 2012

As Ristorante Pizzeria O'Scugnizzo was located just around the corner from our hotel, we already came across the place on two evenings before we finally visited it for dinner on the third evening. The restaurant was always packed with people; probably mainly locals.

We were quite lucky to get one of the very last free tables, although a "reserved" sign was standing on it. The restaurant consists of only one relatively small room and doesn't have any outdoor terrace. So it is not the place for a romantic evening, but for a yummy Italian dinner in the appropriate atmosphere.

The menu offers a wide range of pizzas as well as other Italian dishes. The pizzas come only in one size which I would call quite big. My pizza Nordica, which was covered with salami and sausage pieces, was tasty and very filling.

With 5,00 Euro for a big Peroni beer, 7,50 Euro for my pizza, 3,50 Euro for a Limoncello and 1,50 Euro service charge (coperto) the bill was reasonably priced.

Ristorante Pizzeria O'Scugnizzo: My pizza Ristorante Pizzeria O'Scugnizzo at night Ristorante Pizzeria O'Scugnizzo Ristorante Pizzeria O'Scugnizzo: My Peroni beer

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

Bar Udine: local food for few euro!

by Mikebond Updated Mar 4, 2010

Bar Udine is a bar providing also a restaurant service. You can eat a wide range of dishes, including typical recipes of the region and Slav cuisines, such as jota (a soup of Trieste with sausages, I think; I've never eaten it), gulash (the typical Hungarian stew) or Polish-like cabbage (never eaten, either).

The bar re-opened in 2010 after being closed for renovation. I was there in January 2010 for the first time after I left Trieste around January 2009, and it does look better. However, the bad side is that the married couple who used to run the local has retired (they were both over 70 years old), making the bar a bit more "anonymous". The waiter, Sergio, was very nice: he would talk and laugh with everyone. His wife Graziella was the cashier. I felt a bit confused when I went in and didn't see either of them. Anyway, I do still recommend you'd go to Bar Udine!

Favorite Dish: I particularly like some dishes offered in Bar Udine:
    1) "rigatoni alla burina": pasta with minced sausage, tomato sauce and a drop of cream. They are very tasty but rather heavy;
    2) "fusilli alla mediterranea": cold pasta with little mozzarellas, tomatos, olives: very refreshing;
    3) "salsicce friulane con patatine": Friulan sausages with chips;
    4) go and taste...

Many dishes (especially pasta) have original names and you are unlikely to guess what they consist of unless you ask the waiter. When I used to have lunch there during my university years, only Erika, the waitress, spoke an acceptable English. I don't know if the new waiters also do, anyway Erika is still there and you will be able to talk to her.

Caffe San Marco: Beautiful art deco Caffe

by rexvaughan Updated Oct 27, 2005

The San Marco is not the oldest caffe in Trieste but is one of the 'historic caffes' and has been open since 1914. Earlier in the 20th C it was a haven for writers and other artists and now is a social and culturall meeting point for locals and students and popular as a place to stop for a drink after work. It has a relaxed atmosphere in a beautiful art deco building.

Favorite Dish: All of the food was very nicely prepared and presented. We enjoyed wonderful salads: Insalata de verdure di stagione and 'caprese' which was wonderful fresh mozzarela and tomatoes. Then I had focaccia con proscuitto and fromaggio and my wife had a 'piadina,' a paninni with proscuitto, crudo and fromaggio all accompanied by a nice Terrano wine. For dessert a 'lo strudel di mele o ricotta', a very nice honey and cheese strudel with really good coffee.

Thanks to our VT friend Paoseo for suggesting this wonderful place.

Try the Terrano wine from the region San Marco's bar Wall and ceiling decor

• paoseo's Profile Photo

Da Libero: Is this a restaurant or a legend?

by paoseo Written Dec 14, 2005

This is not a normal restaurant! It should be visited like a museum or a church. I found out that the italian newspaper, Corriere della Sera, devoted a whole page to this place. But..why ? Libero is one of the last inns in Trieste, and one of the most typical in Italy. Signor Libero has transformed this place into an inn full of memories, stories and legends. Near the house where James Joyce, the author of Ulysses lived, by the castle and cathedral of San Giusto, this inn is hidden in the alleyways of the city. The food here is traditional 'poor' food such as soup, potatoes and pasta, that is served with dignity in an atmosphere full of charm. This is a step back in time that you will not regret.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Buffet da Pepi: Meat lovers only!

by rexvaughan Updated Oct 26, 2005

Unless you like meat and plenty of it don't go here. This is a wonderful little cafe just a couple of blocks off the Grand Canal. Our friend Paoseo who is from Trieste recommended it as a great place for typical Trieste cuisine. We were served a huge platter of meats - pork, bacon, ham, sausages accompanied by potatoes and mustard. While not light fare, it was delicious. We washed it down with Dreher beer which I think is Hungarian but goes perfectly with hearty Triestino fare.

Eat hearty! Pepi's window - what you see is what you get You can't miss the

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Pastificio Mariabologna.: Food for your pic nic.

by Maurizioago Updated Oct 11, 2009

Pastificio Mariabologna is a posh take-away, but the prices here are good.

Here you could buy various kinds of handmade pasta (noddles); ravioli, pasticcio and other Italian first courses. Then you could have fish or meat and vegetables.

Suggestion: after you have ordered you can ask the girls to heat your food, so that when you're home it's ready to eat.

Favorite Dish: I had patate in tecia that is mashed potatoes with meat; stuffed artichockes and meat. This lunch was very good.

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Trattoria citte di Londra: Excellent Seafood in a Quaint Surrounding

by Jmill42 Written Mar 25, 2004

With Trieste being right on the sea, you should expect that the seafood would be excellent and fresh. That is exactly the case at the Trattoria di Londra. Friends of Banjo own the establishment, and we decided to have a feast on my last night in Trieste, so we headed here.

I must say that the food is splended. You are given ample opportunity to drink, as the wine flows freely here. The owners, while friends of Banjo's to be sure, were nonetheless extremely friendly and "outgoing"... or drunk, whatever you want to call it. We had an unbelievabely good time here, and I am sure that you will as well.

If you are lucky, they might break out the monstorous 5 liter bottle of grappa at the end of your meal!! Or, is that unlucky....

Favorite Dish: Everything seafood...

Jmill42 and Banjo

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

Kapuziner Keller: Bayern in Trieste

by Mikebond Updated Jan 27, 2010

Kapuziner is a Bavarian restaurant in the very centre of Trieste. I ate there with two friends in January 2007 and we enjoyed it very much.
    Although the outside appearance can make a negative impression, inside you will find a very comfortable and characteristic atmosphere. Menus are written in Italian and German and you can have many Bavarian dishes.
    The only con was the price, which proved relatively high compared to the other restaurants where I had eaten previously.

We were there again in February 2008 to have a drink with other people of our University the prices amazed me more than the first time! I paid 3.30 euro for a glass of orangeade (0.5 litre). I had asked for a middle glass (0.3 l) but the waiter may not have heard me since the music was quite loud. I felt quite uncomfortable this time because it was rather hot inside.

I had dinner there again on 1st October 2008. I had a Ljubljanska (the typical Slovenian cutlet with ham and cheese inside) with pommes frites and an orangeade. I warmly recommend you'd try it: it is good and quite easily digestible. On the other hand, it is not a Bavarian dish.

Favorite Dish: I had the following dinner in 2007:
    - frankfurters with stuffling of cheese and wrapped in bacon, with pommes frites (EUR 7.20);
    - an orangeade (EUR 1.30);
    - a typical cake called "frastagliata del Kaiser", in German Kaiserschmarrn, a kind of crêpe suzette with raisins and pine-seeds (EUR 3.80).
    The cover cost EUR 1.30, so I paid EUR 14.60.
    The prices may have grown.

On 1st October 2008 I spent 11-12 euro for the Ljubljanska and the orangeade.

Kapuziner frankfurters with frites Kaiserschmarrn

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Buffet Rudy.: Goulash, sausages, beer and more.

by Maurizioago Updated Mar 22, 2015

Buffet Rudy is a a restaurant where you can have Italian, local and Bavarian dishes. Every time I am in Trieste I use to go there for dinner. The food is very good and the portions are big.

The only downside of this restaurant is that is quite a noisy place. The reason is because it has only a dining room and part of it is a bar; a popular bar I can say.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dishes at Rudy' s are pasta (noodles) with vegetables and gnocchi (dumplings) with cheeses.

• Beer Tasting

Caffe Massimiliano (what else?): Lunch breakk at Miramare - great view

by rexvaughan Written Oct 27, 2005

We stopped for a light lunch right in Miramare's garden. The food was pretty good although we just had pizza and beer but the view is really great.

Favorite Dish: The pizza margharita was quite tasty - washed down pretty well with a Tuborg. I guess there are virtually no Italian beers as they devote all their attention to making things like chianti.

Food, beer and travel brochures - what else could View from the caffe.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Caffe degli Specchi: One of the classic Italians novecento caffes

by croisbeauty Updated Aug 10, 2013

This is not restaurant, of course, although you can get excellent sandwiches here for exorbitant prices.
    Caffe degli Specchi is mythical places in Trieste, almost inevitable when exploring the town. More or less, its terrace is always occupied, more with the locals then with the tourists. Actually, the terrace, overlooking Piazza D'Unita, is out of service only under the strong "bora" conditions. (Bora is very strong northern wind which freezing you to the bonds).

Favorite Dish: Caffe degli Specchi is one of my favourite places when visiting Trieste, and no metter if winter or summer season, Im always sitting outdoor (except under the bora wind). It is unique experience being here at Sunday noon, in the early spring or late fall when sun is shining over Piazza. The
    "whole" Trieste can be seen here at that specific times, walking, chatting and showing on Piazza D'Unita. Ladies in fur coats, walking the dogs, gentlemens in designed suits and bunch of beautiful kidds running all over the piazza.

Caffe degli Specchi Caffe degli Specchi

Instant Answers: Trieste

Comments

Trieste Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Trieste restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Trieste sightseeing.