The aquarium, Trieste

Riva Nazario Sauro 1 Tel.: +39 040306201

Amazing!
    Boa!
    by ciaobellamici
    Please Find Him/Her a Buddy!
  • call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

fish-watching at the aquarium

by call_me_rhia Written Apr 29, 2003

I would not recommend visiting the aquarium unless it's a rainy day and you've run out of museums and churches to visit, or if you're travelling with small children. In this case it's an ok place to spend a few hours looking at the colourful tropical fishes and the South African penguins' tank. The museum is open every day from 8.30 AM to 1.30 PM and the entrance is 3 euros for adults, 2 for children and free for kids under 5 years old

the aquarium building
    • Aquarium

• ciaobellamici's Profile Photo

Examine Them Closely

by ciaobellamici Updated Apr 4, 2011

One warm (hot) afternoon I spent the siesta at the aquarium near my daughter's apartment. It was very enlightening. There were even snakes - lots of them - on the second floor. (Thank you for putting the information in English!)
    I am not a fan of zoos as they make me sad to see animals out of the natural habitat. I had similar thougths initially, especially when I saw what seemed to be a lone Penguin.
    However, I was so fascinated by the large Sting Ray and stood for quite a while, grateful for the opportunity to see it BEHIND glass.

Amazing! Boa! Please Find Him/Her a Buddy!
    • Aquarium

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Pay him a visit..he must be lonely

by sourbugger Updated Apr 4, 2011

if you google 'trieste aquarium' then the second named site claims that you would expect to find an aquarium in a city such as this and it 'does not disappoint'. Yes it does.

The building itself is right on the seafront and has the appearance of a church. Despite a recent refurbishment the downstairs area has a motley collection of very bored looking fish. I know that sound improbable, but believe me, they just seemed to drift about rather than dart here and there as if hooked up to a caffine drip.

I heard that the place and penquins, and I though that justified the low entrance price alone. The conversation at the door went like this :

SB : I hear you have penquins

Staff : Well one.

SB : Are you serious ? arn't they an animal that needs to live in a group ?

staff : well he is very nice.

SB : do you have any other animals ?

staff : we have some snakes upstairs.

SB : Do they eat fish, waddle about and look cute ?

staff : er no, look are you coming in or not ?

Still, how bad could it be ? I must admit that it was a good diversion for a four year old.

There was one particularly old nasty stick insect in the upstairs area that housed snakes, insects and other similar animals - but I shall speak no more about that particular member of staff.

Instant Answers: Trieste