Udine Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Udine

• Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo

Campana d'oro: Cheap food is always welcome!

by Henrik_rrb Written May 8, 2004

After a long walk through the central parts of Udine I decided to eat something. To the right from the central seen I found Campana d'oro, a trattoria/pizzeria that was really nice.
    And not only because the two waitresses were beautiful... :-)

A couple of hours earlier I had paid 11 euro for a half plate of pasta in Venice. I wasn't going to make that mistake again, and instead ordered both first and second dish at Campana d'oro.

That was another mistake, since only the first pasta-plate was enough to eat for three days... But is was very good!

Try to local wine to, I couldn't understand why everyone was drinking just wine in the whole town. But when I tested... Oh my... So good!

At the end, I got another nice surprise. It all together just costed 19 euro. For a dinner like this in Milan I had paid at least 15-20 euro more...

Favorite Dish: The second dish I had was a cotoletta milanese (I can't leave my lovely Milan...) which something really special! Even if I was full from the pasta-plate I had first I couldn't leave anything!

• Ai Frati ristorante: Wonderful, wonderful dinner experience

by maybetara Written Jun 22, 2003

I had an unforgettable dining experience at Ai Frati in the city of Udine. There I got to sample three famous, locally-produced wines-1 white, 1 red and a beautiful dessert wine, all priced affordably. I was tempted to try a spumante or sparkling wine as well, but was advised against a tastebud overload.

This being the northern tip of Italy, rice, not pasta, is the staple carbohydrate, and our piatti primo or first plate was a wonderful vegetable risotto. The second plate was a sliced pork fillet topped with a fruit and wine reduction that was to die for, with that other northern-italian staple, polenta, on the side. Also on our table were sauteed wild mushrooms, and a prosciutto and other cured meat antipasto, but (correct me if im mistaken) it seemed to me that the Udinese don't eat a lot of greens! The dessert was also fantastic but i was a little too sated by the time it arrived to savour it totally, and now ive forgotten what it was!

As you can tell, i'm an enthusiastic food fanatic, but it's amazing how much about a culture we can learn from trying and talking about its food! I think i found out more about Udine from eating its food and talking about it with Udinese food fans than i did from the tourist guidebooks.

By the way, this meal was the most expensive I had in Udine and was actually priced out of my normal budget. But it was well worth the experience. I'll just remember to stick to one wine the next time. I also regret having eaten all that bread before diving into all the courses. A word of warning though, i was told that usually, diners have to book a table in advance. Also if you want the full works, a dinner can last a good number of hours-mine started around 8pm and ended after midnight. My jeans felt too snug the morning after!

• pginer's Profile Photo

Hosteria Alte Fritte: Go on Friday

by pginer Written Oct 22, 2005

There is a special menu on Friday dedicated to a one tipe of food each Friday. Very original and really good!

Instant Answers: Udine

Comments

Udine Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Udine restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Udine sightseeing.