Udine's cathedral, the Duomo, comes from 1335, with a big transformation in the 18th century. The interior isn't particularly interesting, but it has some 3D trompe l'oeil angels, and paintings from Tiepolo and other.
There are ancient stone carvings over the doorway.
It has a museum but we didn't enter.
The most beautiful monument in Udine is the town hall, in Venetian style, inspired in Venice's Doge's Palace. Also called the Loggia del Lionello, it has an open space, with striped pink and white walls, and a small display on antiquities. It was built in to the fifteenth century, and partially rebuilt after a fire in 1876.
Piazza Matteotti - San Giacomo was the first open space of Udine built as the suqare.
The first Sunday of every months, this place is assigned to antiquity show, while at the end of October it is assigned to the Friuli Doc, which is the regional review of enogastronomic and kraftsmen products.
The church of San Giacomo is one of the oldest in the town. It was erected in 1378, but the front facade was designed back in 1500 by master Bernardino da Marcote. The side chapel of the church was added in the middle of 16th century.
Oratorio della Purita, which belongs to the Dominican Order, was built in 1757. It is situated on Piazza Duomo, right next to the Cathedral of Udine.
The Oratorio conserves a couple of fresco masterpieces painted by the great Giovanni Battista Tiepolo from 1759, "l'Assunta" and "Vergine immaculata".
Porta Manin, built between 1273 and 1299, is the main gateway into the old core of the town. In the medieval times it was the part of the City Walls, nowadays this gate is the only remaining part of it. Actually, it was ordered by the City Council to pulled down city walls in order to make the space for the new rising town.S*
Take a look at the ground floor of the Loggia del Lionello because it looks magnificent. The archways are designed in white and red stone, aswell as the pavement, while the ceilling is covered by the wood.
On the opposite side of the Loggia del Lionello stands the magnificient monument called Loggia di San Giovanni, work of master Bernardino da Morcate.
The number of statuets stands in front of the Loggia; Ercole e Caco (the locals call them Florean and Venturin), the column with Venetian Lion and the column with the statue of Giustizia (Justice) from 1614.
Torre dell'orologio, the Town Clock, which rises from the Loggia di San Giovanni, is probably the best known site of Udine.
The contrats of the blue coloured smiling sun inside the clock looks great on the white stone of the tower. Bellow the clock there is a Venetian lion, which simbolize the town of Udine as a part of the Venetian republic.
The fountain which stands in front of Loggia di San Giovanni was erected in 1542, under the designs of the Bergamo's architect Giovanni Carrara. Together with the other monuments it makes the unique aspect of the Loggia di San Giovanni complex.
L'arco Bollani, the Arch Bollani, was constructed under the project of the famous Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio in 1556.
The arch stands practically as the gateway into the complex of castello (the castle) which is situated on the hill that dominates the old core of the town.
Portico Lippomano, the walking path into the Castle complex, represants the staircase of an extraordinary beauty.
It was built in 1487 in an Gothic-venetian style, and was commissioned by Tommaso Lippomano, who was an lieutenant of Venetian army.
The Castle of Udine is situated on the top of the hill that dominates whole the town. There are many legends about the origins of this castle. Probably the most interesting is the one which says that the hill was constructed by the Attila soldiers who brought the ground material in their helmets in order to enable him observing nearby Aquileia which Attila was burned to the ground.
The Castle was destroyed in earthquake in 1511, and was rebuilt later on.
The church of Santa Maria di Castello is situated right next to the castle. The present look of the church dates back from the 15th century, and it was the only building remained intact after the earthquake of 1511.
Actually, it was the first church built in Udine back in 13th century during the rule of Longobards. The church of Santa Maria was the parish church of Udine until 1263, when the new and bigger church of S. Odorico (today Il Duomo) was built.
The story of Casa di Contadinanza is very interesting, previously this 14th century haus was situated on the corner of Via Rauscendo and Via Vittorio Veneto. In 1931 it was completely trrensfered and reconstructed on the top of the Castle Hill, right behind the Castle.
"La Contadinanza" was third in power political organisation of Friuli Region, constituted of about 800 communities.
Inside of the haus there is an worth of note drawning-room from 16th century with gilding stucco and mirrors.