Lanciano Travel Guide

Madonna del Ponte, detail

Lanciano Things to Do

Madonna del Ponte, detail 1 more image

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 19, 2007

The main church in Lanciano is the one dedicated to the madonna del ponte (of the bridge) - and the name comes from a simple yet bizarre fact: this church is built on top of the arches of the diocletian bridge - because there, it ia said, someone had found a miraculous statue of the Virgin Mary.

it started as a small chapel, it ended up, throughout the centuries, as the biggest church in town. It is now in neoclassic style. it is possible to visit the church and - if you are lucky - its subterranean part, too: from there you will be able to see the famous bridge upon which it is built.

House of Nicolaus Rubeus

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 19, 2007

The house of Nicolaus Rubeus is a house that was in in 1434 - Nicolaus Rubeus (Nicola the red) was a rich merchant of his time, and the fact that he used to live there comes from a plaque found on its walls.

This was not only his home but where he had his business, too... the arches that you can see in the photo is where he had his shops. Today those shops are still in use - but the merchandise that is sold is the usual stuff that can be bought anywhere. Still they are interesting to go and have a look inside.

nightshot

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 19, 2007

This monument, dedicated to the people who gave their life for freedom, is located just off piazza Plebiscito. It is in particular dedicated to the local partisans who lost their lives on 5 and 6 October 1943, during the Lanciano revolt.

The statue at the centre of the monement symbolizes a dying young man, conforted in his last minutes of life, by his mother.

Lanciano Hotels

Lanciano Restaurants

evergreen

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 19, 2007

A small restaurant specializing in pizzas... everyone in the area knows it, so it's always quite full - hence it's best to make reservations in advance. The restaurant itself doesn't look so special - but the pizza is really the best...

Favorite Dish: Great, delicious, wonderful and cheap pizzas... most cost less than 5 euros. Last time I also ad some grilled vegetables... imagine my surprise when I did not get the usual abruzzo-style bellpeppers/eggplant/courgette: there weregrilled fenel and grilled mushrooms, too.

Lanciano Favorites

lanciano

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 19, 2007

Favorite thing: Lanciano is an ancient town a few kilometres from the sea: it's quite large and it's the commercial hub of the area. What's spectacular about it is its rich art and architecture. It's also an important religious destination in italy, because one of the churches hosts the famous Eucharistic Miracle. In another church - or better right under it - there are secret passages to be visited, and an old roman bridge that is usually hidden if you stay outdoors. There's also a beautiful town hall with a 17th century bell-tower. In other words: there is a lot (and more) to see in Lanciano... something to suit everyone's taste

Fondest memory: As you can see from the photos I like Lanciano best at night - for a stroll or an ice-cream. I liked the way it is lit up - though even by daylight it is not deprived of charm. However every time I was there before nightfall, usually to get some books, either I had forgotten my camera, or the battery had just died on me.

Instant Answers: Lanciano

Comments

Lanciano Travel Guide
Map of Lanciano