Gaeta Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Gaeta

Osteria Pizzeria Calpurnio: A Return Visit After Nine Years

by deecat Written Nov 14, 2006

Sign Over the Doorway

When we were in Gaeta nine years ago, we followed the advice of the people that we were renting from and tried this restaurant on our first night in the city. We just loved the brick-oven pizza, the ambience, the man who owned it. We always promised that if we returned to Gaeta, we would return here.

We kept that promise, nine years later. The man who used to be there was no longer there; however, we think that his relatives still run the restaurant. Not much has altered.

What is so wonderful about Calpurnio is that it was built atop an ancient site, and some of the ruins from that site are still visible inside the restaurant. The second photograph is an example of what I mean.

Favorite Dish: Our meal on this October evening consisted of bread, Insalata Mista; one Margherita Brick-Oven Pizza; one Funghi Brick-oven Pizza, One 1/2 L of Bianco Wine; One Italian Birra (beer), and one bottle of Acqua Minerale Naturale

We also asked for a dish of olives [which we were served but not charged].

It was a leisurely meal in this crowded osteria. We were the only tourist as tourist seldom come to Gaeta, which still amazes me.

We certainly missed the warm smile and kind gestures of the older man who cooked and served us and gave us free liqueur in 1997; however, the people who cooked and served us in 2007 were certainly kind and efficient.

• deecat's Profile Photo

Club "Il Drappo": How Did We Miss It The First Time?

by deecat Written Nov 14, 2006

Owner of Club

It was our last night in Gaeta on this second visit, and we just wanted a "nightcap" and a expresso and cappuccino. We saw this attractive sign and lovely looking spot in the corner right next to the apartment that we had lived in for two months in 1997. We assumed that it was new, and we wanted to check it out.

What a surprise to us when we discovered that this place had been in that same spot nine years ago. Evidently, we had passed every day for two months, and did not notice it. Of course, we did not eat out much that first time we stayed in the apartment.

This time, we ordered our coffee drinks and were and had after-dinner drinks. The woman who owned it with her husband brought us delicious cookies. They showed us around both the downstairs, which is more like a bar and caffe, and the upstairs which is for dinner and relaxation.
    They wanted us to eat here the next day, but we had to tell them that we were leaving.

Favorite Dish: PHOTOGRAPHS:

1. A photo of the man who owns Club "Il Drappo".

2. The sign that attracted us to this spot in the corner up high.

3. The attractive tables and decor of the place.

4. The wrought-iron spiral staircase to the second, more formal floor.

5. The comfortable lounge area in the formal dining room.

What a wonderful experience to meet this lovely family [one of their two daughters were there also]. And, what an beautiful bar, caffe, and restaurant.

Al Vecchio Leone Masaniello: Trattoria Since 1920

by deecat Updated Nov 15, 2006

Sign Announcing Masaniello

The Receptionist at our hotel suggested eating at Al Vecchio Leone Masaniello [Masaniello as it is called]. So, we decided to try it. What a great idea.

I just loved all the ceramic work through this small, family-owned trattoria with its brick-oven for pizza making, and the "Mamma" who sits at the front table and greets everyone.

It was quite crowded on that Wednesday night in October. Filled mostly with locals; however, I did notice that this time, we were not the only tourist.

This was also the night that a young man who was Indian came into the restaurant selling roses. Allan, being the romantic that he is, purchased two roses for me. What a guy!

We were here for more than two hours and had a wonderful evening.

Favorite Dish: We started out with a delicious basket of warm breads, which we dipped in olive oil and cheese. We order aqua minerale naturale (water without gas); Allan had the local Rosso wine and I had the local Bianco Wine.

I ordered a pomodoro salad (tomato salad) and 4-cheese with Penne pasta. Allan Had fresh fish, and grilled mushrooms; we shared a dish of olives and a cheese platter. After dinner, we had dessert...a Chocolate Torte and a Lemon Cake with expresso.

All of this came to 57 Euro! The tomato salad was superb! The pasta literally overwhelmed my taste buds it was so delightful. Allan's fish was excellent. We devoured our olives and our cheeses on the Cheese Plate. Needless to say, the desserts were terrific; perhaps the lemon was a tad strong. All-in-all, it was another fabulous Italian meal.

Bar Bazzanti: My All-Time Favorite Spot in Gaeta

by deecat Updated Nov 16, 2006

Officer in Front of Bar Bazzanti

When we were in Gaeta in 1997, I would come downstairs from our apartment that was upstairs and have a cappuccino every morning. I would stand at the bar with all the men and drink the most delicious and biggest cappuccino, I think, in all of Italy!

I made lots of friendships here at Bar Bazzanti and had fond memories of it. On cold winter days in Chicago, I would daydream about this wonderful establishment in Gaeta.

It seems to be the center of activity in the ancient center of Gaeta. Lots of police and military people come here; older men hang out here in the mornings; and I noticed that more and more women were here this time. Yes, culture has changed in nine years.

I remember that naval people came in here in 1997. When the ships are in dock, that is still true.
    All the people who own it (family owned) were still here working. The young couples 2-year-old was now an 11 year-old! That puts things in perspective.

I was able to talk to one of the owners. He is such a kind and helpful man. He caught me up on all the people who still come here whom I met in 1997. It's so good to know that people remember who you are.

Favorite Dish: As usual, I had a delicious large cup of cappuccino, and since I needed to take my medicine, I also ordered a fresh glass of orange juice. It's always so much fun to watch them make the fresh orange juice; that's such a rare treat now days.

Allan and I came her about three times, and Allan would go across the street to the newstand,bookstore and purchase his International Harold Tribune [just like 9 years ago], and we would sit outside and drink our cappuccinos. Ah, pure bliss!

• deecat's Profile Photo

At #26 Apartment by Mamma Dee: Home Cooked Italian Meals....

by deecat Updated May 9, 2005

Allan Eating in Our Apartment in Gaeta

Most times, I would cook a meal right in our Apartment #26 in Gaeta. I loved shopping each morning for fresh fruit, vegetables, bread, garlic, wine, and fresh pasta.

Each night for dinner we would have a different kind of pasta and a different sauce. We always had a wonderful salad, fresh baked bread with a plate of extra-virgin Olive Oil and Parmesan Cheese for dipping the hot bread.

Of course, we would also have a bottle of Italian wine.

Favorite Dish: After dinner, we would take a nice long walk around town and then go for Geleto or an Italian dessert or simply have fresh strawberries.

Everything was always so delicious because all of the ingredients were purchased that morning.

I think it's a much better way of shopping. Here in USA we shop weekly rather than daily. I would only buy small portions that I would use up each day.

What a way to eat; what a way to live!

• Seniors

name: Another Wonderful Italian Meal in Gaeta

by deecat Updated Nov 15, 2006

Tomato and Mozzerella Pasta

On the second night in Gaeta, we ate at a small restaurant that was suggested by the girl at our hotel. It is called Emily's.

Allan was in the mood to have an Italian beer so he ordered a Peroni Beer so I decided to have my first Coke. They do not put ice in the cola, so that is why I seldom order them in Italy.

Allan ordered on the locally caught fresh fish with Italian Brocolie [which looks as though it is Spinach!].

I ordered and enjoyed Tomato and Mozzerella Cheese and a Tomato, Basil Salad. Both of these dishes were excellent.

As usual, we had Aqua naturale [without gas]. The delicious bread was served and a charge is made per person. [a custom in Italy]

It was a low-keyed meal that we enjoyed very much.

• Ristorante El Gringo dal Saracino: Great Tex-Mex

by cleos Updated Nov 30, 2004

A nice little restaurant, wine bar called "El Gringo". It's located at the entrance of the historical part of the town in a historical building that is a hotel. It offered traditional Mediterranean food and great cocina Tex-Mex. Very romantic and off the beaten path.

• sissah's Profile Photo

Bar Triestina's: Best cappuccino in town

by sissah Updated Feb 16, 2004

Bar Triestina's has the best cappuccino and cornetto (a crossiont you can get with stuff spread in it -- Nutella is my favorite!) in town. It's on lungo mare, which is the side with the Navy pier -- not the beach side. It's not directly on the water, but just across the street on the corner. It's a cafe, so they do have sandwiches and stuff too, but go here for the cappuccino and conretto.

• unravelau's Profile Photo

Bar Pinitro: The convenient snack bar

by unravelau Written Mar 29, 2003

A snack bar.

When the kids are wanting to play in the play ground, it's nice to have a place where you can get a soft drink, a coffee, a snack or an icecream while you watch them enjoy themselves.

Favorite Dish: I have only ever had panini with prosciuto and cheese and bottled water from here but it was very nice.

• PINOYSAILOR's Profile Photo

IL MOLO: BEST GELATO in Italy!!!

by PINOYSAILOR Updated Aug 2, 2004

Notice the 5-STAR sign above?

Ever had 4 scoops of ice cream and not feel bloated, thirsty or u want to throw up??? Well, NOT HERE...because it's made of natural ingredients....no artificial flavorins used....and the price.....1.25 euro a scoop.....What a deal, if i can only find out the secret formula, i'd be a millionaire with franchising ;-) Oh and they have won awards for being the best in Italy....so the title is true.....

Favorite Dish: Ice cream, ice cream, ice cream...try all of 'em!

• sissah's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Rustica: Pizza by the slice

by sissah Written Feb 16, 2004

If you want a snack, stop by Pizzeria Rustica at the entrance to piccolo alley. This is directly across the street from Bar Triestina's (not towards the water, but across the other street), and they sell pizza by the slice, and it's really good. Yum.

• Emilio's: Excelent mixed fried fish plate!

by Poppso Written Apr 5, 2006

My favorite place to go in Gaeta when I'm in the mood for fresh fried fish. Its a pretty cheap plate of fish (maybe 6 Euro) and they are bought fresh everyday.

Favorite Dish: Fried mixed fish of the sea I think is the name (in Italain of course)

• xxgirasolexx's Profile Photo

La Bella Napoli - Trattoria/Pizzeria da CARLO: Risotto in Gaeta!

by xxgirasolexx Written Jun 16, 2005

The first time I ate here was Friday, April 16, 2004 at around 22:30. The place was almost completely empty. They have excellent staff and a great chef. CHIUSO IL MARTEDI!!!

Favorite Dish: Risotto ai funghi porcini is wonderful because I love mushrooms and rice.

• Odissea: Great food and nice host

by ameliahouse Written Aug 19, 2012

On a very hot evening ,walking in Gaeta we heard south American music coming out of this restaurant, we stopped by and were at first surprised as the staff (nice and friendly!) explained to us the menu' in English! So we had our meal there, raw fish starter (razor clams were alive!) a mix platter of grilled fish and pasta gnocchi with swordfish and a homemade tiramisu dessert . We drank with it a bottle of prosecco Valdobbiadene. The lady owner was very nice so we ended the evening drinking Margarita and enjoying Cuban music and chatting with the owners . We had a great evening , shame that was our last night in Gaeta , highly recommended!

Favorite Dish: the starter raw fish was incredibly fresh, but everything else we had was very good too

• Luxury Travel

• alayola's Profile Photo

Seafood and Pasta...

by alayola Written Nov 19, 2007
    Awesome coffe shop at the piazza

This a cool litle place to relax and have a conversation with friends, have some coffe and eat some pastries, or whatever else you want, this was a great place to eat and pass the time.

Favorite Dish: the Menu had a decent variety, and the pastry shop was just amazing, and coffe was great too.

Instant Answers: Gaeta

Comments

Gaeta Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gaeta restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gaeta sightseeing.