Gaeta Shopping

Best Rated Shopping in Gaeta

Daily Produce Market: The Best Way To Shop

by deecat Updated Nov 16, 2006

1997-2006 Produce Man

2006 UPDATE: I put the 2006 and 1997 photo together to compare. Click to see the entire photo.

While in %Gaeta for 2 months, I would walk down the steps of our apartment and across the street to the outdoor produce market. I would go there rain or shine.

The man who ran the market was such a wonderful individual. He was patient, kind, witty, & hard working. As the first week of our stay passed, we became more well acquainted, & in his broken English & my broken Italian, we actually communicated.

He always wore a hat, a sweater, & a scarf.
    I started to notice that he gave me the best produce, and he also gave me a little extra produce than I requested.

Unlike America, in Italy, the shopkeeper would select the item. You could point to what you wanted, but you did not pick it up; he did.

The produce such as bananas, strawberries, blood oranges, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, onions, & basil were always so fresh & in such good condition. It was a delight to go to market each day to see the smiling produce man in his hat, his sweater, & his scarf!

What to buy: It was a very sad day when, on the final day of our visit, I crossed the street to tell The Produce Man goodbye.

Allan was with me, & he used the Poloroid camera and took two photographs of the produce man and me together.

I kept one, and the produce man kept one. The photograph on this page is that cherished moment when we said farewell.

What to pay: From ten cents to several dollars

• Seniors

• deecat's Profile Photo

Sabatino Shoe Store in Gaeta: Looking for Sandals in October!

by deecat Written Nov 16, 2006

Allan Leaving Sabatino Shoe Store, Gaeta

Allan had been searching for leather summer sandals in the Le Marche because that area was known for making shoes. We could not find any. That surprised us because we were on the Adriatic and near summer resorts.

Allan was purchasing these sandals for his boss at the Golf Course back home where he works in the summer. His boss has admired the sandals that Allan purchased the last time we were in Italy in 2003.

When we were walking down the famed Via Indipenza in the newer section of Gaeta, I suggested that we look in the Sabatino Shoe Store because it looked great. He was reluctant because he thought getting sandals in the fall was a losing cause.

Well, wouldn't you know it...Deecat was right. Sabatino did have several beautiful sandals, and in the right size [size 12]!

What to buy: The only problem that we had was deciding which of the beautiful pair of sandals to choose. Allan finally decided, and paid the woman who had been so helpful, patient and kind.
    We left Sabatino Shoe Store with smiles on our faces.

The photograph is of Allan walking out of Sabatino with the sandals.

What to pay: Allan purchased very nice sandals for about 80 Euro [which seems quite expensive here in the USA; however, these were the top of the line sandals sold in Italy, and I thought [as did his boss] that it was a fair price for the fine quality.

Flea Market: Every Wednesday in New Gaeta

by deecat Updated May 9, 2005

Gaeta's Flea Market

Every Wednesday in the new part of Gaeta there is a Flea Market in a huge parking lot.

I think that there are over 100 different "stalls" selling merchandise.

I also think that Allan and I visited all 100 "stalls" when we went to the Flea Market one Wednesday Morning. It was mighty crowded; however, it was orderly. There was no pushing and no rude behavior. Instead, there were smiling sales people, energetic patrons, and an assortment of wares to be purchased.

What to buy: The merchandise includes food, antiques, tools, all kinds of clothing, shoes, underwear, dishes, pots/pans, and an assortment of goods for the home and garden.

What to pay: The items are very inexpensive, and some of the merchants will barter.

LaCruella: Great Leather Goods

by deecat Updated Nov 16, 2006

Inside of La Cruella in Gaeta

2006 UPDATE: We returned to La Cruella in 2006 to purchase a pair of gloves for our daughter Jill. It was quite an experience. The young girl who waited on us was talking on her cell phone. She was upset that we interrupted her conversation. She just wanted us to leave. It was certainly disconcerting. The gloves were very nice, but not because she bothered to help us. How different from nine years ago!

The small shop called La Cruella in the new part of Gaeta Via Indipendenza is a place for everyone.

It has quality leather goods, small items for taking on a plane, expensive items of excellent quality, and various items to buy as souvenirs.

What to buy: We bought leather key chains, and they engraved initials or names on it. I still have the one that I bought in 1997, and it is as good as new and I've used it every day.

We also purchased leather glass cases that were quite unique, leather necklaces, billfolds, and a vest.

Their presentation of the items is really nice. The small items are placed in good quality original (creative) shaped boxes that can be folded to stay together. I kept mine.

What to pay: Items range from $5.00 to $200.00+

• NonnaLou's Profile Photo

Itri Extra Virgin Olive Oil

by NonnaLou Updated Oct 24, 2008

Itri Olive Groves @ NonnaLou

What to buy: A superior quality oil, with an good flavour, and fruity and slightly peppery after taste

Derived solely from the Itrana variety of olives, exceptionally low in acidity, in fact far below the1% international standard.

• Wine Tasting

• La Cruella: La Cruella in Gaeta Italy

by DiDiSuntastic Written Nov 18, 2008

The shop is lovely. I bought a beautiful leather handbag for $118 euros two weeks ago. Upon my return I found the the inside stitching is already coming apart. I phoned the store and was told that if I send it back perhaps they could repair it. I went to UPS to send it back and was told it would cost over $100 US to ship it! never mind, I'll have it repaired here but I won't buy there again.

• La Cruella: La Cruella Leather Goods

by Tripodchaps Written Apr 11, 2010

Has the best Leather goods in all of Italy. Everything is hand made and uses the best italian leather products. The owners have gone out of their way to help people. I was very shocked to hear about the story "quote story" that DiDisunstatic said about a torn purse and costing 100 to send my UPS and the store was not willing to help. This is untrue and should be delated from this site. Because in reality the Store sent her a brand new purse at the cost of the store, and whenever I have used FED EX to send stuff from the states it has never cost $100 so I dont know where she is coming up with the figure actually the same type of purse I bought at the store sent to my mother at a whopping cost of $30 using FED Ex.

I know for 100% the guarantee their products and whenever some one has come to get a product they made it cost almost nothing. I have seen 10 to 12 year old wallets in great shape.

There Products are extraordinary GREAT

What to buy: Leather Goods: Belts,. Purses, wallets, desk accessories and Jewelry and some clothing items

What to pay: 2.50-300 Euros

• Castles and Palaces
    • Music

Instant Answers: Gaeta

Comments

Gaeta Shopping

Reviews and photos of Gaeta shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gaeta sightseeing.