Colosseum, Rome

Know about this? Rate It!

The Colosseo
    by joiwatani
  • joiwatani's Profile Photo

Go to the Colosseum early

by joiwatani Updated Mar 18, 2009

Favorite thing: We went to the Colosseum early in the morning, so we enjoyed our visit to the place better. There are no tourists around the first two hours when we were there. Before the gates were opened, we had time to check the grounds of the Colosseum- just walking around the structure. We went to the Forum also and we enjoyed seeing all the things that were sketched on the walls. We had plenty of time to check the whole place.

We didn't have to struggle with other tourists. Therefore, we were able to take great pictures of our whole group in front of the Colosseum. We took excellent pictures.

The best time to go there is actually at seven o'clock in the morning. The gates open two hours later. We were also first in line to buy the entrance tickets and first in line to get in the Colosseum.

Fondest memory: I love taking the pictures of the Colosseum outside and inside. It was an exciting day for me to visit this place.

I thought I lost my camera when I was entering the gates but I actually put it in my backpack. It freaked me out because I had already put in about a thousand pictures in it.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Rome's Empire

by Jenniflower Updated May 23, 2006

A Roman map

Favorite thing: This photos shows a map.

One of three found a few hundred feet from the coliseum.

It depicts how Rome took over the territories it conquered.. and shows its power in its heyday.

Very interesting from a historical point of view!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Do your homework!

by Jenniflower Updated May 23, 2006

Fascinating coliseum

Favorite thing: Before going on holiday, we always do a lot of researching and homework prior to our trip.

Since being on VT, we naturally look for advice and tips on this site.

We like to know a certain amount about the area we are going to, the culture, the history etc. It puts one on the right footing I think, and can be very handy.

One example was the coliseum.

What one learns at school can hardly do it justice.

We did research on the history of it, the timeline.. and it changed over the years and had different uses. How it has been built and rebuilt and the stone, wood and other materials used. And why.

There is always a reason why things get made the way they do, and I would rather know why. It helps one appreciate the craftmanship and skill of those times.

• Archeology

• ArianaR's Profile Photo

WOW!!

by ArianaR Written Mar 19, 2006

Favorite thing: This was amazing, seeing it no television is nothing compared to walking around inside of it! We had a really nice time here and got some great pictures too. It is 11 euros each to get in and we paid an extra 3.50 euros each for a guided tour and for immediate entry. We ended up skipping the guided tour and walking around by ourselves and the line seemed to be moving quite slow so the extra money was worth avoiding the line. I don't know what else to say about it other than it was simply amazing.

Fondest memory: I would have to say the whole trip, it was a really nice weekend.

• Coliseum/Vatican

by Hooverboy Written Nov 22, 2005

Favorite thing: Once you`ve seen these amazing historic sites you will have already travelled over the manic cobbled streets and passed many fountains. Get next flight home cos the rest is repetitive and boring.

Fondest memory: Taxi ride to airport from hotel - Wacky races travelling 80 mph in traffic 4 vehicles wide in only 3 lanes of road!!!!!

• Religious Travel

• sarahNI's Profile Photo

Cheap Tours

by sarahNI Written Jun 29, 2004

Favorite thing: When you're standing in the queue and tour touts are shouting "You'll be in this queue for 40 minutes if you don't come with us" - ignore them, you'll end up in a huge group struggling to hear.
    Instead check the times of the official tours - they're on lists in the window of the ticket office and only cost about 3-4 euro on top of your admission price. We ended up in a group of about 8 people, it was excellent.

• AmericanBoy's Profile Photo

The Colluseum

by AmericanBoy Written Mar 4, 2004

Favorite thing: I suggest a walk around the colusseum at night. It is beautiful to see it lit up!!

And if you are interested, there is a bar crawl that meets in the park above the Colluseum metro stop almost every night. You'll hear them before you see them. All are welcome to join.

• peitsing's Profile Photo

a page in history...

by peitsing Updated Jan 16, 2004

Favorite thing: Of course, a visit to Rome is not complete without makin a trip to the Colossuem coz...

1. it's one of my absolute fav buidling on earth, despite friends commentin that I'm inhumane for loving a place which had took the lives of so many

2. It's jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring structure.. Although work started on it back in AD 72, the artchitects clearly had the foresight to build in contingency plans.. which till to-date can still be considered as somewhat modern... eg, the adjustable roofing, in case of rain, the loos.... etc etc

Anyway, the movie Gladiator, was thoroughtly researched and seemed to have reflected the Colosseum as it was back in its days of glory... hence can be watched as reference... :P Cheers to Russell Crowe! heheheh

BUT.... a word of caution oh..

DO NOT BE SHOCKED if you're going to the colosseum via the metro..... This is coz, the huge monument is right smacked outside the metro station... so, there u were, happily getting ur tickets punched, turn around and PWOAH!!!!

Also, lots of muscly half naked dudes walkin about pretending to be gladiators and offering to pose in your photos... clicked away if u must, but be sure to haggle for the fees..... :P.

Oh.. thirdly... I personally don't think it's necessary to join one of those Imperial Tour or something something. Joined one and it bored us tremendously as the "tour" did not cover for entrance fee into the Colosseum, and no time was allowed for those interested, to enter without risking the whole "tour" abandoning them behind.

• Archeology

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

Il Colosseo = Magnifico!

by Krystynn Updated Jan 16, 2004

Favorite thing: When you go to Rome, the very first thing one must, must, must do is to visit the magnificent COLISEUM, once the scene of brutal spectacles before a 50,000 strong crowd!

This ancient Roman amphitheater was inaugerated in 80 A.D. and remains today a major tourist attraction.

Yes, the magic is still there....

Fondest memory: I don't know about you... but standing here at the Coliseum made me feel like Xena, the Warrior Princess. Yeah, coming to a city like Rome... well, it tends to bring out the other side of you.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

Inside The Coliseum

by Krystynn Updated Jan 16, 2004

Fondest memory: Here's a view of the COLISEUM - this time from the interior.

Dominating the heart of ancient Rome, it stands today as the city's grandest symbol!

The morning that we were there (on my very first visit in the early-1990s), there was a huge pandemonium just outside the Coliseum. An Italian guy had threatened to jump off from the top-most floor of this massive monument. An hour later, the police finally dissuaded him from taking his own life. Phew! What a scare he gave all of us.

Photo: That's my dear little sister inside the Coliseum circa. 2001 ;-))

• GUYON's Profile Photo

The Colosseo

by GUYON Updated Oct 16, 2003

Colosseo

Favorite thing: See the Colosseo. You would be able compare what you see to the final scene of Gladiator (the movie).
    A large part of the stones had been removed in order to repare and to build some houses in Rome. You need imagination to have a complete picture of the arena.

• meteorologist1's Profile Photo

Magnificent architecture

by meteorologist1 Updated Sep 1, 2003

Colosseum

Favorite thing: My favorite thing about Rome was enjoying looking at the Colosseum. It is such an awesome piece of archtecture. It is probably the most recognized symbol of Rome and perhaps all of Italy. Having seen it everywhere in television, books, and magazines, I finally got to see it myself.

• pili's Profile Photo

Domus Aurea

by pili Updated Aug 15, 2003

Domus Area

Favorite thing: After the fire in 64 ac, Nerón began to built the Domus Area. His intention was transform a big part of the urban centre in a grandiose villa. The palace that had built there was destroyed by his sucessor, but in this days it´s a beautiful area, and from there you can see nice wies of the Colisseum.-

Luego del gran incendio del año 64 d.c. Nerón se dedicó a la realización de la Domus Area, que transformaba gran parte del centro urbano en una villa grandiosa. Del palacio que se construyó queda muy poco - todo fue destruido posteriormente por sus sucesores -, pero actualmente es una muy bella zona desde donde se pueden apreciar hermosas vistas del Coliseo.-

• CandS's Profile Photo

The Colosseum again... :)

by CandS Updated Jun 4, 2003

Colosseum

Favorite thing: The Colosseum again... :) How could you visit Rome and not see it!?!?!

Surely it is the most famous thing in all of Rome... ;) And this is probably one of the most seen angles of the Colosseum... ;)

• CandS's Profile Photo

The Colosseum!

by CandS Updated Jun 4, 2003

A 'Real' Gladiator!?  :)

Favorite thing: Make sure you visit the Colosseum! It is just amazing to walk up from the underground station and as soon as you get to the top of the stairs you find this fantastic old thing standing in front of you...wow! I almost fell over backwards!

We even had our photos taken with 'real' gladiators out the front...but make sure you don't pay the price they want, if you haggle a bit they WILL drop the price!

The Colosseum was built in 72AD. It once held 80,000 people while they watched gladiator combat games and wild animal shows. It is hard to believe that now though since it is fairly ruined on the inside. We thought it would be much bigger too (from the Gladiator movie) but it was still fantastic to see!!

It costed us L10,000 for entry into the Colosseum but it is well worth a look... Especially when you can follow along a tour and listen in to their information.

Opening times for the Colosseum are: Summer Monday, Tuesday, Thursday to Saturday 9 am to 7 pm, Wednesday and Sunday 9 am to 2 pm. Winter it closes 1 hour before sunset.

To get there, take the metro to Colosseo.

Instant Answers: Rome