Colosseum, Rome

Know about this? Rate It!

The Colosseo
    by joiwatani
  • joiwatani's Profile Photo

Go to the Colosseum early

by joiwatani Updated Mar 18, 2009

Favorite thing: We went to the Colosseum early in the morning, so we enjoyed our visit to the place better. There are no tourists around the first two hours when we were there. Before the gates were opened, we had time to check the grounds of the Colosseum- just walking around the structure. We went to the Forum also and we enjoyed seeing all the things that were sketched on the walls. We had plenty of time to check the whole place.

We didn't have to struggle with other tourists. Therefore, we were able to take great pictures of our whole group in front of the Colosseum. We took excellent pictures.

The best time to go there is actually at seven o'clock in the morning. The gates open two hours later. We were also first in line to buy the entrance tickets and first in line to get in the Colosseum.

Fondest memory: I love taking the pictures of the Colosseum outside and inside. It was an exciting day for me to visit this place.

I thought I lost my camera when I was entering the gates but I actually put it in my backpack. It freaked me out because I had already put in about a thousand pictures in it.

• peitsing's Profile Photo

a page in history...

by peitsing Updated Jan 16, 2004

Favorite thing: Of course, a visit to Rome is not complete without makin a trip to the Colossuem coz...

1. it's one of my absolute fav buidling on earth, despite friends commentin that I'm inhumane for loving a place which had took the lives of so many

2. It's jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring structure.. Although work started on it back in AD 72, the artchitects clearly had the foresight to build in contingency plans.. which till to-date can still be considered as somewhat modern... eg, the adjustable roofing, in case of rain, the loos.... etc etc

Anyway, the movie Gladiator, was thoroughtly researched and seemed to have reflected the Colosseum as it was back in its days of glory... hence can be watched as reference... :P Cheers to Russell Crowe! heheheh

BUT.... a word of caution oh..

DO NOT BE SHOCKED if you're going to the colosseum via the metro..... This is coz, the huge monument is right smacked outside the metro station... so, there u were, happily getting ur tickets punched, turn around and PWOAH!!!!

Also, lots of muscly half naked dudes walkin about pretending to be gladiators and offering to pose in your photos... clicked away if u must, but be sure to haggle for the fees..... :P.

Oh.. thirdly... I personally don't think it's necessary to join one of those Imperial Tour or something something. Joined one and it bored us tremendously as the "tour" did not cover for entrance fee into the Colosseum, and no time was allowed for those interested, to enter without risking the whole "tour" abandoning them behind.

• Archeology

• ArianaR's Profile Photo

WOW!!

by ArianaR Written Mar 19, 2006

Favorite thing: This was amazing, seeing it no television is nothing compared to walking around inside of it! We had a really nice time here and got some great pictures too. It is 11 euros each to get in and we paid an extra 3.50 euros each for a guided tour and for immediate entry. We ended up skipping the guided tour and walking around by ourselves and the line seemed to be moving quite slow so the extra money was worth avoiding the line. I don't know what else to say about it other than it was simply amazing.

Fondest memory: I would have to say the whole trip, it was a really nice weekend.

• sarahNI's Profile Photo

Cheap Tours

by sarahNI Written Jun 29, 2004

Favorite thing: When you're standing in the queue and tour touts are shouting "You'll be in this queue for 40 minutes if you don't come with us" - ignore them, you'll end up in a huge group struggling to hear.
    Instead check the times of the official tours - they're on lists in the window of the ticket office and only cost about 3-4 euro on top of your admission price. We ended up in a group of about 8 people, it was excellent.

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo

While the Mighty Overwhelm. . .

by mrclay2000 Written Feb 25, 2003

Arch of Constantine and Coliseum over a work site

Favorite thing: While your eyes dazzle before such monuments as the Arch of Constantine and the ruins of the Coliseum, you might not notice all the excavation sites in Rome. Modern scholars and archaelogists continually uncover or unearth relics of Rome's illustrious past. Sometimes the sites are marked as a 'keep off' area and others are fenced off, so be mindful of such places and watchful as well -- markers don't always advertise the latest finds for public exhibits.

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo

Buggy Ride Through History

by mrclay2000 Written Feb 25, 2003

buggy approaching Arco di Costantino

Favorite thing: Buggies for hire are seen throughout many of the hot spots in the city, from the Piazza di Spagna (Spanish Steps) to the Coliseum and elsewhere. Not the same as a cab which operates at a stiff fare schedule, the buggy drivers must be haggled with and the route selected before you head onward. This is Rome's version of arguing with a gondolier, and for my money can readily be dispensed with.

• unravelau's Profile Photo

Get a good guidebook and refer to it frequently.

by unravelau Written Feb 25, 2003

Yes, but what is it?

Favorite thing: Well, I guess the single most important site I would take someone in Rome would have to be the Colosseum..............simply because most people think of Rome and the Colosseum in the same thought.

There is a kind of atmosphere there that is not found in other places (or is it just me). I could hardly take my eyes off the innards of the monument and could just about hear the screams and shouts of those involved in any of the activities that were conducted there. I guess it ultimately ended in death for many people and animals..............maybe that's what lingers here.

BUT........ a very impressive building none-the-less.

Fondest memory: My first trip to Rome (1998) saw my daughter meet up with us .......... she was doing a worldwind tour of x number of European countries in x number of weeks and landed in Rome the day before we met up.

It was lovely to share the day with her (so far away from our homes) and interesting to have her also trying to figure out what all of the old rocks were.

• Goner's Profile Photo

Must see the Colosseum

by Goner Updated Apr 23, 2003

The Colosseum

Favorite thing: You must see the Colosseum, it's so much larger than I imagined. It held up to 55,000 people. As you look down into its depths you can see the pens (see in my travelog) where the Christians and the wild animals were kept for slaughter, at the inaugural games in AD 80 over 9,000 wild animals were killed.
    The arena had approximately eighty entrances so crowds could arrive and leave easily and quickly, much more efficient than our buildings of today..
    The plan is a vast ellipse, measuring externally 615 ft x 510 ft, with the base of the building covering about 6 acres. Vaults span between eighty radial walls to support tiers of seating and for passageways and stairs.
    The facade of three tiers of arches and an attic story is about 158 ft tall — roughly equivalent to a 12-15 story building.

• Museum Visits

• Dionosaur's Profile Photo

The Colosseum

by Dionosaur Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Obviously, the Colosseum is the absolute one thing you must see. (Be sure to get your picture taken with the gladiators.) However, that is only the first on a very long list of wonderful things to see in Rome.

The Vatican is a the ultimate for art lovers, with 360 degree art, be prepared to have a sore neck the next day. Go early to beat the crowds.

Fondest memory: Walking around a corner and seeing the Colosseum for the first time. That was when I really felt the history and magic of Rome.

• unravelau's Profile Photo

The Front door of the Collosseum

by unravelau Written Mar 29, 2003

The Front door of what?

Favorite thing: is particularly ordinary don't you think?

Of course this would most probably be the most important site to be seen in Rome. Well this and St Peter's square, I would think. It would be interesting to find out which monument or place statistically is the most visited in Rome............then in Italy......... I am sure that this would have been done at some time..............?

Fondest memory: Well it is a magnificent city that keeps calling you back............don't know why, it just does.

• Theater Travel
    • Archeology

• Venturingnow's Profile Photo

In general

by Venturingnow Updated Feb 28, 2003

Me in front of the coliseum

Favorite thing: What can I say about one of the most talked about travel destinations in the world? You know why you want to come here, the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, Vatican City, the Pantheon, beautiful women, good food, and nice weather. You'll find them all in Rome and well as many other great things that you may never read about in a guidebook, there is something around every corner of Rome to explore. Have fun.

• pili's Profile Photo

The Colisseum

by pili Updated May 25, 2003

El Coliseo

Favorite thing: The bigger roman amphitheatre, built in 72 AD. In despite of the ruins, it´s a magnificient building.
    You should hire the local guide, who are anthropologists, that make you focus on the really important details, and let you know the truth of what "really" happened there.-

El mayor anfiteatro romano fue mandado construir por el emperador Vespasiano en el año 72 dc. Actualmente solo quedan ruinas de lo que era, pero eso basta para darse cuenta lo grandioso que debe haber sido antiguamente. -

• pili's Profile Photo

Domus Aurea

by pili Updated Aug 15, 2003

Domus Area

Favorite thing: After the fire in 64 ac, Nerón began to built the Domus Area. His intention was transform a big part of the urban centre in a grandiose villa. The palace that had built there was destroyed by his sucessor, but in this days it´s a beautiful area, and from there you can see nice wies of the Colisseum.-

Luego del gran incendio del año 64 d.c. Nerón se dedicó a la realización de la Domus Area, que transformaba gran parte del centro urbano en una villa grandiosa. Del palacio que se construyó queda muy poco - todo fue destruido posteriormente por sus sucesores -, pero actualmente es una muy bella zona desde donde se pueden apreciar hermosas vistas del Coliseo.-

• JohnnySpangles's Profile Photo

LION SHORTAGE AT COLOSSEUM

by JohnnySpangles Updated Oct 8, 2002

SAD EXCUSE FOR A LION.

Favorite thing: Greatly disappointed at the absence of lions at the colosseum. All I could find was this manky cat.

Fondest memory: Be warned, films like 'Gladiator' create a totally false impression of Rome. I couldn't get tickets for a single gladatorial massacre..

• bugalugs's Profile Photo

Arch of Constantine

by bugalugs Written Mar 16, 2003

Arch of Constantine

Favorite thing: This triumphal arch was built to commemorate Constantines victory over Maxentius in 312AD

But the arch is actually built with bits and pieces from other things. Some stonework from 81AD and some hunting scenes from 117AD

It is adjacent to the Coloseum.

Instant Answers: Rome