Ice Cream, Snacks and Beverages, Rome

Know about this? Rate It!

Circus Maximus
    by monica71
  • AlexDJ's Profile Photo

Italian Ice Cream

by AlexDJ Written Jan 24, 2006

Favorite thing: I suppose you already know that italian ice cream is traditionally the best ice cream in the world! Well, I think that in Rome the level of the quality of ice cream production is one of the best in whole of Italy! And in this place I'm going to introduce you I've had one of the best ice cream in my life; I always stop here when I have the possibility tio taste a big cone or a cup of gorgeous ice cream. The size also is huge! For 2 euro you'll have a big cone difficult to finish! The name of this spot is "Old Bridge" and it is located near the Vatican, just around the corner with Piazza Risorgimento, on the way to Vatican Museum. Believe me, it's difficult to find something better!

• Marpessa's Profile Photo

Gelato!

by Marpessa Updated Oct 18, 2005

Favorite thing: Unless you are allergic to ice-cream, you cannot go to Rome (or Italy) and not have some ice-cream (gelato). Italy has the best gelato I have ever eaten. The strawberry (fragola) gelato actually tastes like strawberry, instead of just looking pink, like it does here (in Australia). Sometimes you have to go to a few different ice cream parlours before you find a parlour that gives you a lot of gelato for a reasonable price (sometimes they expect you to pay 6 Euro for 2 small scoops - not good enough!).

You can get it in cones or in cups and there are always heaps of flavours to choose from. My favourite was to ask "Vorrei una gelato con cioccolata, fragola e ananas, per favore." Which in my very poor Italian is "I would like one ice cream with chocolate, strawberry and pineapple, please". This was especially enjoyable on the warm summer nights I was there, and my friends and I would just sit in a piazza or stroll along the streets happy with our delicious treats.

You can find ice cream parlours along nearly every main street in Rome, and a whole lot of side streets as well, as it is the traditional dessert in Italy. Buon appetite!

• sniem's Profile Photo

Tazza D'oro

by sniem Written Dec 8, 2004

Tazza d'Oro

Favorite thing: Something I always miss when I'm back home is the fantastic cappucino at Tazza d'Oro. Tazza d'Oro is located just a few steps away from the Pantheon and it's really an institution in Rome.
    You first go to the cashier and pay what you want then you go to the counter with your "scontrino" and hand it to one of the waiters. There are no tables to sit you just drink your cafe at the counter.

• MagicMixer's Profile Photo

Water is Life

by MagicMixer Written Apr 14, 2004

Piazza Barberini

Favorite thing: Unbelievable to find all this fresh, cool water coming up att ALL places all over Rome.
    I learned that it is coming from the mountains around and I can promise........It is clean and better than most expansive bottle-water !!

Fondest memory: Lots of wine in the nighttime .....and lots of water in the daytime.
    DONT mix it up !!

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Enotecas!!

by Jmill42 Updated Mar 27, 2004

In virtually any alley great food could be found

Favorite thing: Rome's enotecas (bottle shops) have historically been meeting places for old men who like to down a glass or two, before setting out on a wandering path towards home. I think it is one of the greatest things to be able to do on a vacation, to catch locals in their own environment. It does not take a lot of effort, all you have to do is wander around, away from all of the hordes of tourists.

Experience REAL Roma!

• rattay's Profile Photo

Roman Water

by rattay Written Mar 8, 2004

Favorite thing: When I went to Rome, it was HOT and HUMID (month of July to be specific). But i soon discovered that the water coming out of the spouts that are found on every piazza/alleyway/corner are safe to drink from. In fact, I'd say that water is the best water I've ever had (if water can be good or bad). Anyway, the water comes from the roman acquaducts and it is the perfect temperature. This is terribly convenient as you can just carry around a bottle and never have to buy drinking water when you are sightseeing. One of my favorite fountains was just outside of St. Peter's Square. It is made out of white marble and is in the shape of a few large keys (you know - st. peter - keys to heaven etc). facing st. peter's basilica the fountain is to your right on the outside of the colonnade.

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Cafes and Coffee Shops

by Jmill42 Written Mar 6, 2004

One of 1000's of sidewalk cafes

Favorite thing: Upon your arrival at a cafe, you are expected to pay at the cashier's desk (cassa) before consuming. Check out what you want, then pay. After that take your reciept and head to the bar, placing a small denomination coin on your receipt (scontrino) will get the bartender’s attention.

If you would prefer to sit down and take your coffe, it will cost you at least double, in my experience. Doing this, you do not need to pay first. Just sit down and the waiter will eventually come over to take your order.

• myrtle's Profile Photo

Mmmm Gelato!!!

by myrtle Written Nov 23, 2003

Favorite thing: You gotta try the Gelato. It's the best ice cream ever. You can find it anywhere in Italy. There are so many different flavors it's hard to decide which one(s) you want. I think we had some every day.

• Frisbeeace's Profile Photo

Prosciutto di Parma and mozzarella cheese!!!

by Frisbeeace Updated May 29, 2003

Look that sandwich!!

Favorite thing: As descendants from Italians we do have excellent prosciutto (jamon crudo) and mozzarella cheese in Argentina... but my trip to Rome was a nice chance to try the real stuff. So I took care of getting my daily jumbo sandwich - made up of home bread, prosciutto di Parma and fresh mozzarella - loaded in my backpack for lunch.

After returning to the hotel, more mozzarella and appetizers before dinner.

Gelattos

by Frisbeeace Updated May 28, 2003

Gelatto

Favorite thing: During warm days you can go broke by becoming addicted to italian gelattos. They are incredible!!! Try the Frutto di Bosque and Yoghurt ... The best place we found is on the right hand at the entrance of Campo de Fiore coming down from Piazza Navona.

Sandwiches and soft drinks

by Frisbeeace Updated May 16, 2003

L'Antico Forno

Favorite thing: During the warm season you will be thirsty all day as you walk Rome. And soft drinks may be incredibly expensive depending on where you get them. So here is the tip: avoid street refreshment carts which charge up to E 3.00 for a small Coke bottle. Find a supermercati o alimenti store. You can buy cold Coke cans there at E 0.50 and E 0.80 respectively. Same with sandwiches for your lunch.

There is a supermercati in the tunnel that connects Piazza di Spagna with Via Veneto. We used to get our groceries and refreshments there.

Another great point is right on Fontana di Trevi. It's called L'Antico Forno on Via delle Murate 8. Soft drinks cost E 0.80 there and just outside are sold for E 2.50!!

• John195123's Profile Photo

John195123's General Tip

by John195123 Updated Sep 7, 2002

Fondest memory: Sitting in a restaurant right beside the Colloseum. It was night, and orange-yellow lights shone up on the structure, blackened holes of night coming through the arches. We ate and watched alley cats wander around the street in search of food. The restaurant was some nice local cuisine, and after we had finished eating (I think there was some music playing) we stopped by a small cart on the side of the road and bought Lemon Ice. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM.......

italian ice

• jellicoe's Profile Photo

buy a gelato ice-cream. it's...

by jellicoe Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: buy a gelato ice-cream. it's stringy, and sticky and oh-so-lovely!

Fondest memory: would probably be walking through cobble-streets, going to places like coloseum, foro romano, palatine hill,looking at stuff that michaelangelo created,...it's pretty mind blowing - almost unreal.

• Try almost any Trattoria, you...

by lg061870 Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Try almost any Trattoria, you really can't go wrong. Anything you ask for is just delicious. Before leaving the city try a full meal at a fine restaurant, you will wonder how did you ever live without such good food and how are you ever going to live without it when returning home. Belive me hamburguers won't cut it anymore.

Fondest memory: Just walking along the city narrow streets, trying not to get hit by one the very-pissed-Romans-on-tiny-motorcycles that inhabit the city.

Then spend the last night at the Fontana de Trevi. Need I say more.

• Audrey118's Profile Photo

You must have lots of gelato....

by Audrey118 Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: You must have lots of gelato. It is sold everywhere, but my favourte is
    San Crispino; there is one near the fountain. It is a very tiny narrow shop, but I tell
    you it is the best.

There are many flavours, the ones I like are nut based - pistachio, hazelnut, but I
    find that Italians make the best fruit flavour ones as well. So original!!!!

Another one I went to is a walk from the Pantheon at some road with a name Magdalena. They have so many flavours it is mind boggling. The fruit flavours there are also
    good but cannot rival San Crispino.

Instant Answers: Rome