Related Rome Favorites Tips

by breughel
    Piazza Navona
    by Fam.Rauca
  • Parishioners awaiting the beginning of Sunday mass
    Parishioners awaiting the beginning of...
    by Jefie

Most Viewed Favorites in Rome

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

The Capitoline Hill.

by Maurizioago Updated Jan 21, 2015

Favorite thing: In ancient Roman times there were various temples on the Capitoline hill. There was the tabularium (the public Roman archive) and the mint of the Republican age as well.

Piazza del Campidoglio (Capitol square) is situated on the top of this hill. Michelangelo was commissioned to create this square in 1536, but much of the work on this square was done in the 17th century. Michelangelo designed the new facades for the two buildings; palazzo Senatorio and palazzo dei Conservatori. He designed a new palace; palazzo Nuovo. In the center of the square is a statue of emperor Marcus Aurelius. It is a replica.

Palazzo Senatorio houses the office of the mayor of Rome. Palazzo dei Conservatori and palazzo Nuovo are used as museums. There are mostly ancient statues there.

You have to climb a long stairway to go up to piazza del Campidoglio; the Cordonata. This was designed by Michelangelo as well. At its top there are two big statues of Castor and Pollux.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Churches: the best free museums in Rome!

by Jefie Updated Jan 14, 2015

Favorite thing: Whether you're a budget traveler, an art lover, a history buff, or all the above, you should definitely put Rome's churches at the top on your list of things to see in the Citta Etterna! There are over 900 churches in Rome, most of them Roman Catholic, with the oldest dating back to as early as the 4th century. Several churches were built or restored in the 16th or 17th century, at the height of the Baroque period. In fact, if Florence can be seen as the cradle of the Renaissance, then Rome should definitely be seen as the birthplace of the Baroque. This style was favoured by the Catholic Church who had decided at the Council of Trent that religious art should address all people, not only the educated few. With its slightly over-the-top architecture and its paintings and sculptures overflowing with emotions, the Church believed that Baroque was just the right style to convey the idea of God's infinite greatness to the masses. Artists like Carravagio and Bernini flourished during that period; their works, often commissioned by the pope, can be seen in several churches across the city. While I can't pronounce myself a huge fan of the former's paintings, I thought Bernini's sculptures were beyond superb and the fact that I got to see all these masterpieces for free (there usually are no entry fees to visit churches in Rome), and in such a beautiful setting, was quite simply mindblowing!

I've already written a tip about the proper attire one should wear when visiting Roman churches, and another thing to keep in mind is that a large portion of the population still goes to church regularly. During the day, services are typically held in side chapels to accommodate tourists; it only makes sense to show respect in return by remaining silent and not taking pictures. Oh, and on Saturdays, chances are pretty good you're gonna walk into a church filled with white flowers in preparation for a wedding :o)

Angel statue by Bernini at Sant'Andrea delle Fratt Getting ready for a wedding in Rome! Parishioners awaiting the beginning of Sunday mass Pope John Paul II is still very much beloved Another beautiful marble sculpture
    • Religious Travel

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Reputable Tour Guide Company

by GracesTrips Updated Nov 2, 2014

Favorite thing: As travelers, my boyfriend and I are not too fond of guided tours. We dislike the idea of having to stick with a schedule or being with a group of people. But....in some cases, a guided tour could be a wonderful experience. We opted to use this particular company for an individual guided tour of the Vatican (recommended by close friends). The cost is not cheap but was a tremendous savings from booking an individual guided tour from the Vatican's official website. We had the most amazing experience. Our guide was extremely knowledgeable and spoke English quite well. Our tour was supposed to be about 4 hours but was closer to almost 5 hours. We didn't have to wait in any lines. This was well worth the cost we spend and highly recommend visiting the Vatican with a guide. See more on my Vatican tip!

SIT Italy
    Link: http://www.sit-italy.com/
    Toll free telephone number: 1.888.813.4450
    email: info@sit-italy.com

• Luxury Travel

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Piazza Farnese

by croisbeauty Updated Oct 8, 2014

Favorite thing: Santa Brigida is a convent church dedicated to St. Bridget of Sweden. The present facade was constructed in1705 and adorned with statues of St.Bridget and her daughter St.Catherine. The neo-Romanesque bell-tower was added in 1894.
    There are two identical decorative fountains located in the Piazza Farnese, placed here in the 16th century. Both fountains are simply called Fontana della Piazza Farnese. It is believed that the granite stone basins come from the ancient Roman Baths of Caracalla. The emblems on the upper part of the fountain are those of the Farnese family and the builder of palazzo cardinal Alessandro Farnese, later Pope Paul III.

Fondest memory: Palazzo Farnese is named after Alessando Farnese, a member of minor noble family who was appointed cardinal in 1493 at the age of 23 only. Later on in 1534 Cardinal Farnese became Pope Paul III and comissioned Antonio de Sangallo the Younger to enlarge his private small palace which stood on this spot. Sangallo redesigned palace to reflect the change in status of its owner. After Sangallo's death the palace was yet to be completed and Michelangelo was asked by the pope to take over.
    Michelangelo modified Sangallo's project in the design of the first floor windows and in the overall height of the building. The cental window is in particularly beautiful and the coat of arm of the Pope Paul III above it.
    After pope's death his heirs entrusted Il Vignola and later on Giacomo della Porta with the completion of the palace.

Palazzo Farnese Convento di Santa Brigida Fontana della Piazza Farnese bell-tower of Santa Brigida

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

What else did we see?

by toonsarah Written Sep 14, 2014

Favorite thing: Rome is a large and historic city, and a week here would not be too long. We had, as I have said, only a few hours so we saw only a fraction of what it has to offer. Some famous sights though could be seen from the Hop On, Hop Off bus, and gave us tantalising glimpses of places we had visited and loved on our previous trip here – the Circus Maximus, the Forum, the Tiber, St Peter’s Basilica and more. Other sights though are hidden from the bus’s route, as Rome’s narrow streets make it impossible for large vehicles to get close to these. For these you must get out and walk, something we had no time to do. If this trip has done one thing, it has made us determined to revisit Rome for a somewhat lengthier visit in the not too distant future.

The Forum Circus Maximus Crossing the Tiber St Peter's St Peter's

• brendareed's Profile Photo

Getting the good shots - photography locations

by brendareed Written Jun 1, 2014

Favorite thing: As I planned my trip to Rome, I was hoping to get some good photos from various vantage points in the city. The weather, although wintertime, cooperated with me and we didn’t experience rainy days, although we did have some clouds so my photos didn’t always have the blue skies and fluffy white clouds in the background that I like so much. But the sun was bright when it was out and that usually worked to my advantage. Timing being everything with the sun, there were some things I purposely planned in order to have the sun at the right angle for my photos. Fortunately, there are so many great places to get photos in Rome, no matter where you are in the city you have opportunities for good photos.

Some of my favorite places for photos:

~ At the top of St. Peter’s Basilica. Okay, it meant climbing up the steps to the top of the dome, but it was worth it! I took my zoom lens with me and thankfully it wasn’t too crowded so I had time to make adjustments as well as take enough photos for panoramic photos. We went around noon so the sun would be high in the sky, allowing me to take photos pretty much all the way around the top of the dome, both of St. Peter’s Square and Rome and its monuments, but also of the Vatican and its gardens.

~ Behind the Capitoline Museum. We toured the Roman Forum so I was able to get lots of up close photos of places in the Forum. But for that overall photo, I went up to the Capitoline Museum and walked around to the right side of the museum on Via d. Campidoglio, which led to a terraced overlook near the Temple of Saturn. From that vantage point, I could get photos almost the entire Forum in my photos and a hint of the Colosseum in the background.

~ For some photos of the Colosseum from a little higher up, walk up to the Palatine Hill (this is in the part where an admission fee is required) to the northeast corner that overlooks the Colosseum. From here we were able to get a couple photos of each other with the structure behind us, and then I took some of just the Colosseum and the Arch of Constantine in the foreground. Again, I took these mid-day when the sun was overhead so I really didn’t have to deal with the lighting so much.

~ For some good photos of the city from the other end, try the overlook near the Villa Medici looking towards St. Peter’s. These are best in the morning with the sun behind you – I was there at sunset and the sun was right over St. Peter’s and I wasn’t really pleased with the effect. Ideally, if I could do it again, I would be at the Villa Medici in the morning and at St. Peter’s in the evening for my sunrise/sunset photos.

~ We happened upon the Janiculum Hill setting on our last day and it provides a nice overlook of the city of Rome. It is a little farther away than other sites, but if you have the right equipment and the day is clear, this is a nice location with flat ground and walls that you can set up your tripod. We were there in the morning and my photos didn't turn out well -- later in the day would be better from this location.

~ Another location that I came across during my trip to Rome was the top of Castel St. Angelo (nice mid-way between the city and St. Peter’s). This is best in the morning if you want St. Peter’s photos
    and you have to pay the admission fee to get to the top. Also, from here you can get some nice photos of the Tiber and Ponte St. Angelo.

~ Although I didn’t go to the top, the Vittorio Emanuele II Monument near the Capitoline Hill is a great location for photos since the monument stands up higher than most buildings in the area. You pay to go up to the top in the glass elevator but it would be a great view for the Forum, Colosseum, and the rest of the city.

• Photography

• brendareed's Profile Photo

free sites in Rome - Rome on a budget

by brendareed Written Jun 1, 2014

Favorite thing: Rome can be a pricey place to visit, but there are lots of places you can visit and still see some fantastic historical sites and view amazing art by masters, thus saving you money that you can use to splurge on the must-see sites that charge.

For starters, most every church in town is free to enter. Inside many of these are art treasures that could take you days to view. How about

~Michelangelo’s Moses in San Pietro in Vincoli or his famous Pieta in St. Peter’s Basilica; ~Caravaggio’s three paintings of St. Matthew in San Luigi dei Francesi, his Madonna of the Pilgrims in Sant’ Agostino, or his pair of paintings of St. Peter and St. Paul in Santa Maria del Popolo; ~Bernini’s works are all over Rome, starting with St. Peter’s Square and the Four Rivers Fountain in Piazza Navona. Don’t forget his elephant statue in front of Santa Maria sopra Minerva and his St. Teresa in Ecstasy in Santa Maria della Vittoria.

If you are interested in ancient Roman history and don’t want to spend the money to enter the Roman Forum,

~you can stand behind the Capitoline Museum for a wonderful overlook of the Forum on one side and on the other side of the museum you can get a close up of one of the Arch of Septimius Severus;
    ~walk around the Colosseum and get a close up of the Arch of Constantine for free;
    ~visit the Porticus of Octavia and Theatre of Marcellus near the Jewish Ghetto;
    ~Trajan’s Column can easily be seen from the sidewalks beside the Imperial Forum;
    ~walk around the Piazza Argentina and look at the current excavations of four temples and the site of Julius Caesar’s murder.

Some of the most visited attractions in Rome are free:

~the Trevi Fountain
    ~the Pantheon
    ~the Spanish Steps, and the
    ~Vittorio Emanuele II Monument.

Rome is an expensive city but you don’t need to break the bank to enjoy some of the great treasures the city has to offer.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

The Aurelian Walls

by croisbeauty Updated Mar 19, 2014

Favorite thing: In its long history Rome was open city area, welcoming all people of good will. During many centuries the town wasn't surrounded by any walls at all, but then around the third century A.D. Barbarian thretenigs become more evident and the Empire decided to protect the city from invasions. A line of city walls was built between 271 and 275, it is what we know today as The Aurelian Walls. The walls enclosed all seven hills of Rome and the full circuit run for over 19 kilometres......

Fondest memory: The quality of the pictures isn't very good because I took them from inside of the bus

Aurelian walls Aurelian walls Aurelian walls Aurelian walls

• goodfish's Profile Photo

Right foot, left foot, repeat.

by goodfish Updated Feb 5, 2014

Favorite thing: Over two trips and 10 days in the city, we've rarely taken public - or any other type - of transport and not because it's inconvenient, expensive or complicated. On our feet, we could wander into narrow rustic streets, up ancient back stairways and into lush green spaces that we would have missed had we taken taxi, bus or Metro. On foot, we were often surrounded by more Romans than tourists, and the music that is Italian conversation. Rambling the backstreets you can smell the aromas of roasting meat and simmering sauces from the kitchens of weathered, cantalope-colored flats, hear children at play in postage stamp-sized courtyards, see the riot of flowers that spill from window boxes and tiny terraces, and experience little corners of the Rome that is home to thousands of people.

Here are a couple areas that have been particular favorites (so far):

• Trastevere: considered by its population to be "authentic" Rome. Very rustic, very beautiful; take a wander to Santa Maria in Trastevere, see the church and explore at least the 5-6 block area surrounding the piazza.

• Via Giulia: a roughly 10-block stroll of 16th - 18th-century pallazi, churches and antique shops, it's included in many guidebooks but there were almost no tourists around when we were there

• Any of the routes right along the Tiber - especially in the evening and early morning

• Villa Borghese and bits of Parco Colle Oppio

• Portico d'Ottavia area in the Jewish Ghetto: Roman ruins, medieval and renaissance buildings

• Aventine Hill

• Ponte Sant'Angelo

• Anywhere on the Appia Antica

Fondest memory: A favorite memory is of walking to the Capitoline very early on our first morning in Rome; the slow-moving Tiber reflecting Bernini's angels on the Ponte Sant'Angelo, passing shuttered shops along quiet, cobbled streets and trading buon giornos with a few locals on their way to work. Too early for the museums to be open, we wandered into a virtually deserted Forum to marvel, in the grey mist of a light rain, at the crumbled, silent remains of what was once the center of the most powerful empire on earth.

• Hiking and Walking

• gwened's Profile Photo

hope not sick policlinico

by gwened Written Aug 24, 2013

Favorite thing: hope not sick while visiting Rome but the hospital of architectural proportions and nice area call policlinico is very nice to look at.

We walk all around it and figure the architecture of the different unit department services was worth capturing in photo.

Its close to termini so you are well covered if need it. We didn't thankfully the pictures from outside are better than going inside ::)

a bit of history
    the first stone was put up in January 19 1888 with the presence of king Umberto I and queen Margherita; and by August 1904 the policlinico started functioning as such.

Fondest memory: walking its streets and seeing history and architecture wonders before our eyes

main entrance Policlinico the side exit gate at policlinico the bus stop  outside but walk close to termini

• ptippen's Profile Photo

Before you go

by ptippen Written Aug 30, 2012

Favorite thing: I would like to offer just one piece of advice. Spend as much time as possible to prepare before you go. Decide on the places you want to visit then read and read. This time will be well worth it as you look at "one more piece of rock or on more sculpture" and see not this but the purpose and history of each piece and the difference in every stop you make. It will come to life for you and open itself up for you.

Fondest memory: I miss the surprise around each corner.

• monorailgold's Profile Photo

My camera was stolen!!!!

by monorailgold Updated Jul 2, 2012

Favorite thing: Unfortunatly, I have heard numerous stories about people who have had their cameras stolen. Not only were they upset because of the loss of their camera, but also about all the pictures that were on the memory cards as well. Some people said they had 1300 photos on their 2 gig cards and now they are all gone because their camera was stolen. My suggestion is to invest in more of the smaller cards. You can buy 3 or 4 2gig cards for the price of one 10 gig card. You can carry these in your pocket and change when the card is full. This way you protect the pics you have already taken. I use 2 gig cards most of the time. I can get about 500 pics on them at 9.0 megapixels. If your camera has less megapixels you can fit more, if it has more you will fit less. I also download all of my pictures every night to my laptop or ipod. This way, if my camera is lost or stolen, I have only lost 1 days worth of photos and not an entire trips worth. I do have a 10 gig card and will certainly use it on my next trip, but I will still download it at night. Protect those photos!!!!

forum

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Tiber

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jul 1, 2012

Favorite thing: The Tiber is the third-longest river in Italy which has achieved lasting fame as the main watercourse of the city of Rome, founded on its eastern banks.
    According to legend, the city of Rome was founded in 753 BC on the banks of the Tiber about 25 kilometres from the sea at Ostia. The island Isola Tiberina in the centre of Rome, between Trastevere and the ancient center, was the site of an important ancient ford and was later bridged. Legend says Rome's founders, the twin brothers Romulus and Remus, were abandoned on its waters, where they were rescued by a she-wolf.

In addition to numerous modern bridges over the Tiber in Rome, there remain several ancient bridges (now mostly pedestrian-only) that have survived in part (e.g., the Milvian Bridge and the Ponte Sant'Angelo) or in whole (Fabricius' Bridge).

Tiber Tiber Tiber

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Rome's attractions

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jun 30, 2012

Favorite thing: Rome is among the most attractive European cities. That’s why I choose a trip to Italy in 1996 as my third trip to Europe after trips to France, Germany and Nederland.
    Its history spans two and a half thousand years. It was the capital city of the Roman Kingdom, the Roman Republic and the Roman Empire. Since the 1st century CE Rome has been the seat of the Papacy and, after the end of Byzantine domination, in the 8th century it became the capital of the Papal States, which lasted until 1870.
    In 1871 Rome became the capital of the Kingdom of Italy, and in 1946 that of the Italian Republic.
    After the Middle Ages, Rome was ruled by popes such as Alexander VI and Leo X, who transformed the city into one of the major centers of the Italian Renaissance, along with Florence.

There is a tourist office in the train station that can help you find a hotel and gives out maps and information. Most staff at tourist offices speak English. The main office is on Via Parigi near the Piazza della Republica.

You can watch my 4 min 40 sec Video Rome walking around the city out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

• Tour Company in Rome

by egakis Written May 27, 2012

Favorite thing: When I was in Italy I used a tour company called Excursion Boutique http://www.excursionboutique.com/

They helped me immensely from the moment I contacted them with everything I should see and do while in Italy and even provided great restaurant recommendations!

I did the Best of Rome and the Best of Florence private tours with them and I loved it! They are both full-day tours and you visit all the must-see sights. The guide was friendly and very knowledgeable and informative. The best part was by-passing all the long line ups because they pre-purchased all the tickets.

They also have other tours (group and private) that range in hours but I wanted to make the most of the time I was in each city.

I also used them for a private transfer from the airport to my hotel in Rome and the driver was on time and very professional.

They truly made my Italian vacation unforgettable and I am so thankful that my friend told me about them.

Fondest memory: The food! Simply amazing!

• Luxury Travel

Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Albergo Del Senato
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews

Instant Answers: Rome

Comments

Rome Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Rome locals.
Map of Rome