Trevi Fountain, Rome

Know about this? Rate It!

by monorailgold
    by monorailgold
    by Tetreus
  • Sassafrasskass's Profile Photo

Bring a coin!

by Sassafrasskass Written Mar 11, 2011

Favorite thing: Trevi Fountain!

Beautiful!

I must confess I was truly unaware of what to expect of Rome.

Definitely a sight to see & experience.

Meeting other tourists posing for pictures around this area is a must!

Take pictures & throw a coin! ;)

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Go to the Trevi Fountain

by joiwatani Written May 18, 2009

Favorite thing: I have to make this as a general tip as well since I have so much to say about going to the Trevi Fountain.

There is so much things said about the Trevi Fountain. I wondered why. I was kind of sad when I got to the Trevi Fountain because first thing, I dropped my camera at the airport and it wasn't working quite well. Second, I was just by myself and I was missing my family a lot.

As so many tourist spots in Rome, this is one of the crowdest and it is so hard to squeeze in to the fountain. I just walked around looked at the square and stood up at a corner and wrote my travel journal.

I observed that the entrance of the buildings are numbered starting at #90. And, that door number belongs to a boutique/Hotel Trevi. Passing that is door #91 and it has no name on it but it is a small space selling souvenir items. Then there is a bar and a pizzeria. I can't figure out where are the rest of the door numbers as I walked by, I saw door #97 which sells shot glasses, postcards and refrigerator magnets. I thought, I will come back here and buy refrigerator magnets if I see one I like.

Then the next door is Paul & Shark. Paul & Shark? A whale? Or is it a last name. It was kind of a weird name for a store.

Opposite the Boutique/Hotel Trevi is small store that sells Blue ice/shave ice and passed that is the Al Barroga that sells masks. Still, there are no numbers on the store's doors. Then there is the Pizza de Mortadella.

Finally, I saw door #15. This place sells a lot of t-shirts.

Surrounding the fountain itself are different business establishments like the Segatori, a gelateria, Paul & Shark (again?), shoe store, Hotel Fontana, Benatton, a souvenir shop, Angelo, Farmacia and a bar/gelateria - they sell crepes and Chinese food!

Fondest memory: I love the feeling that I finally got to Rome. I still can't internalize it at this moment so, I am just cruising along...

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Toss a coin & you're promised a return to Rome

by Gypsystravels Updated Sep 28, 2007

The beautiful fountain behind me

Favorite thing: Who doesn't recognize the most famous and spectacular of all the Roman Fountains???

Immortalized through paintings, engravings, photographs and films (like two of my favorite, 'La Dolce Vita' and 'Three Coins in a Fountain'), it is one of the most beautiful fountains here in Rome.

Fondest memory: The fountain was built by Nicola Salvi for Pope Clemente II on a wall of the Palazzo Poli and was completed in 1762. Tradition says that if you throw a coin into the fountain over your left shoulder you will return to Rome again soon.

• robyn_ough's Profile Photo

pesters

by robyn_ough Written Sep 18, 2006

Favorite thing: when sat at the fontana de trevi you need to know 2 phrases in italian. 1. no 2. via via. well you can guess the first one but the second means go away/leave me alone. as if you stand for more than a minute you will get pestered by men trying to flog you aload of s**t. just be blunt or they wont go away. plus you get men giving the ladies roses saying there free don't take them as 2 mins later they'll come back asking for thier money.

Fondest memory: i love the romans the most they're all such generous, kind and welcoming of people they made my holiday more than the sights.

• monorailgold's Profile Photo

Getting a great picture

by monorailgold Updated Jul 11, 2006

Favorite thing: One of the prettiest, not to mention famous, fountains in Rome is Trevi Fountain. One of the reasons you go to Rome is to see the Trevi fountain. We all throw a coin in and then pose to get our picture taken in front of it. Here is my advice......Use your fill flash when taking the picture. Look at the two pictures I have posted for this tip, one turned out great but the other needed the flash. That is me in the middle of the picture, but you can't tell its me because the camera sensor saw all the white from the fountain and set the exposure for that. My husband forgot to turn the flash on, so I came out in heavy shadow. The good thing is the fountain itself turned out beautifully. Remember to compensate and use your flash when photographing anyone against a white background. This will make sure you not only see the monument but the person as well.

Fondest memory: One of my fondest memories of Rome is having a picnic lunch, sitting on a bench at the Trevi fountain and watching all the people. It is wonderful to see all their expressions when they see the fountain for the first time. I just sit back and enjoy.

• STEFZAMM's Profile Photo

SUCH A ROMANTIC ATMOSPHERE @ THE TREVI FOUNTAIN

by STEFZAMM Updated Apr 5, 2006

Favorite thing: Definetely The Trevi Fountain is a must while in Rome. I think of the Trevi Fountain and I have no words to describe the place, the feelings, the atmosphere. I can never figure out exactly how to explain what I felt that day when I was finally there, infront of the Trevi Fountain ! Every tourist seemed to have been excited like me: smiles, laughter, pictures... felt as though happiness was in the air! I definetely threw a coin in the fountain so that I secure my return to the eternal city ;)

Fondest memory: Always wanted to be there, near the Trevi fountain, tossing a coin, taking a picture, but had never imagined it would be so nice....

• unigirl's Profile Photo

Throw a coin the Trevi...

by unigirl Updated Jun 17, 2005

Go on, throw one in..you know you wanna come back!

Favorite thing: Throw a coin the Trevi Fountain! Take the time to marvel at the amazing sculpture--it truly is breath-taking. Be prepared to watch for flying coins and fight for spot to sit if you go during high season....

Fondest memory: Being at the fountain was certainly a cool moment. Even in the middle of February when the rest of the city seemed relitavely quiet, there were litterally hundreds of people here!

• coceng's Profile Photo

Me At Trevi Fountain...

by coceng Written Jan 31, 2005

Me at Trevi Fountain...Rome

Fondest memory: This is a photo of me sitting at the Trevi Fountain...a few hours after arriving in Rome !
    The sun was hot, there were too many people.
    Still, I smiled away, feeling good being in Rome although at about 10 am, still hadn't even checked in into my hotel...I had seen The Trevi Fountain !

• Adventure Travel

• frasermedic's Profile Photo

by frasermedic Written Jan 13, 2005
    Lizzie McGuire's hot spot

Favorite thing: A hot spot for the girls... get the chestnuts roasted on an open fire at Christmas time... you'll drool every time you think of them!

Fondest memory: We roamed through Rome for over a week. We added extra days to our tour, mostly because it brought the airfare down to $372 per person... yup! Round trip. We went at Thanksgiving time and it was not crowded, not hot, easy to get into a museum, and not many tourists. So, we felt like they were putting on a show just for us. We lucked out and only had a day and a half of rain in 19 days (supposedly the rainy season). Although it was the rainy season, there are many indoor activities, just in case.

• Museum Visits

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo

Throw that coin - it works!

by belgianchocolate Updated Jul 3, 2004

Favorite thing:

Ok you all know this habbit ,
    In order to return to Rome , you have to
    trow a coin in this famous fountain.
    Why am I adding this tips once more...
    Simply because I had an expert with me.
    Member B-free was for the 3th time in Rome.

It must be a matter of technique?

He does it like this.
    He is standing with his back towards the
    fountain and trows it with both hands
    over his head.

This is also a warning!
    Member B-free has got a little coordination
    problem thing. When you see him just keep
    an eye on that coin and see where
    it is heading for.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

3 Coins In The TREVI FOUNTAIN ;-p

by Krystynn Updated Jan 16, 2004

Favorite thing: Throw 3 coins into the world's most famous fountain - the TREVI FOUNTAIN - and quickly make 3 wishes...

It is believed that this act of faith will ensure your eventual return to the Eternal City again. Yeah, yeah... I'm sure you guys are too brilliant to fall for that, right?

Wrong!

I actually threw 3 coins into the Trevi Fountain on my first trip in the early-1990s... (and like you) NOT expecting much to come out of my 3 wishes.

But boy, was I wrong. Fast forward. Many years later...

I ended up working for the 2nd largest bank in this country, based in Milano. Got to visit Rome again... and again... and AGAIN. Met and befriended wonderful Italian friends. And I now speak Italian (alright... I still can't speak Italian that eloquently but hey, I'm not giving up till I can speak without translating all these words from English to Italian in my brains!).

And the most amazing thing was that - I didn't apply for a job in this financial institution. They called me up via the headhunter and asked me whether I was interested.

Moral of the story?

Never say never.... and Never feel that you won't be fortunate enough to have your 3 wishes granted. :-)

Fondest memory: Do visit the Trevi Fountain at night when this whole area literally bursts with activities, tourists, policemen and roving-eye Italian 'romeos'... (Not jokiing about the last one).

This place is well-known as a pick-up joint. Stand here for less than 5 minutes... and see what happens? ;-p

• bugalugs's Profile Photo

The Trevi Fountain

by bugalugs Updated May 10, 2003

Trevi Fountain

Favorite thing: 3 coins in a fountain. Thats what I always think about when seeing photos of the famous Trevi Fountain. There was a film and a song with this title. I first visited here many years ago with my mum, the last time with my husband and son 30 years later, but its still a magical place to visit.

Whenever I have visited the fountain, its always amazing to walk up these tiny narrow streets, when suddenly there right in front of you stands this huge monument/fountain.

It was built in the late 18th century and the water that feeds it comes from one of Rome's ear.liest aquaducts.

Legend has it that it you throw a coin over your shoulder into the fountain then one day you will return.

Its always busy here no matter what time of year and this time was no exception. However it was marred by people constantly pestering us to buy things, from toys to artificial flowers. At first you say no politely but they dont seem to get the drift.

The fountain is situated off the Via De Muratte.
    Or coming from the Piazza Barbarini down the Via del Tritone you take a left off that road.

• Sarita76's Profile Photo

by Sarita76 Updated Mar 31, 2003

Rome- Trevi Fountain

Favorite thing: There's not much to say about this super super famous fountain... It's too famous to add something new and original to its story, so I will just refer the most frequent comments I've heard from tourists and friends when finally seeing the fountain... "Wow, it's so big, while the square is so tiny!!!" or "It's amazing how you can find such a wonderful masterpiece around the corner...". :-)

• pili's Profile Photo

Fontana di Trevi

by pili Updated Mar 16, 2003

Fontana di Trevi

Favorite thing: This fountain was designed by Nicola Salvi in the 18th century and became famous in Federico Fellini´s movie: "La Dolce Vita". Do you remember Anita Ekberg´s famous splash? . In the centre of the fountain you can find an image of Neptune, God of the Sea.-
    The fountain is located near the Spain Square and the Navona Square.-

La fuente fue diseñada por Nicola Salvi en el siglo XVIII y se convirtió en mundialmente famosa al aparecer en la pelicula "La Dolce Vita" de Federico Fellini. En el centro de la fuente se encuentra una imágen de Neptuno, Dios del Mar, según la mitología romana.
    La fuente se encuentra a pocas cuadras de la Plaza España como así de Plaza Navona.-

Fondest memory: It´s a huge fountain, unique for its large size and for its beauty. You should sit there for a while and see the astonished faces of the tourists when they see the fountain. The place where the fountain was built is too small, and because of that, the view of the fountain is even more magnificient.- There is a very nice church, just opposite the fountain – la Santi Vicenzo e Anastasio – that you shoud visit.-

Es una fuente realmente única por su belleza y por su tamaño. Vale la pena sentarse un largo rato a admirarla y fundamentalmente a observar a los turistas que quedan asombrados con semejante obra de arte. El lugar donde esta enclavada es muy pequeño y por ello se realza más su grandiosidad. Hay también, enfrente de la fuente, una iglesia muy bella - la Santi Vicenzo e Anastasio - que también merece una visita.-

• oneonta_ni's Profile Photo

The Trevi Fountain

by oneonta_ni Updated Feb 13, 2003

The beautiful Fontana di Trevi

Favorite thing: We quite liked the Trevi Fountain - it is really beautiful even though it is packed with tourists. We saw people drinking from the fountain and Rome's fountains are supposed to have clean water in them but with the number of people putting their hands in or throwing coins in, I think I would give it a miss. BTW, since the fountain was cleaned recently for the Giubileo, visitors are discouraged from throwing coins in as it can discolour the finish. We, of course, learned this after our visit. Oops. This is another popular hangout for the pickpockets so keep your wits about you as you jostle for a position on the fountain to have your photo taken.

Instant Answers: Rome