Know about this? Rate It!
Torre Argentina has some very old Roman Ruins, with 4 temples in one block and hosting the ruins of Pompey's Theatre. It was here that Julius Caesar was stabbed by Brutus.
You will see stray cats all over the city, there is apparently a huge problem with that.
The cat sanctuary came about when the area was excavated in 1929 and the cats took up residence in the abandoned Roman ruins. A small area was set aside to care for and feed the homeless cats. With time and funding this effort grew.
The Roman Cat sanctuary provides sterilization, health care and feeding for abandoned cats.
They continue to struggle with official recognition (or support) Being in a tourist area, many of their contributions come from tourists. They are there 7 days a week every day of the year.
A wonderful labor of love by a dedicated group of compassionate people.
- Travel with Pets
We unexpectedly came across some ruins near the Pantheon that were full of cats. Every where you looked cats were playing and rolling in the sun. This facility was run by an organization that fed the cats and made sure they had their shots and everything was fenced off so that cats couldn't get out or be touched. It was really fun to watch the caretakers come out with buckets of food and sing. As he sang that cats all formed a line behind him and followed him around the ruins until he put the food down for them.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Rome Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Negombo Hotels
- Moody Beach Hotels
- Province of Quebec
- Port Dickson
- Fiji Hotels
- Air Hitam Hotels
- Chicago Off The Beaten Path
- Venice Off The Beaten Path
- Colorado Off The Beaten Path
- Tennessee Off The Beaten Path
- Washington State Off The Beaten Path
- Philadelphia Off The Beaten Path
- DAY TRIPS AROUND MUMBAI
- Portland Off The Beaten Path
- Key West Off The Beaten Path
- Las Vegas Off The Beaten Path
- Texas Off The Beaten Path
- Washington D.C. Off The Beaten Path