Christian Rome, Rome
In the Chiesa di San Luigi dei Francesci, there are three magnificent Caravaggio paintings, superbly located in the Contarelli Chapel. They were painted between 1599 and 1600. This is the central painting, the most simple one.
The church at the Via Nationale was built in 1873. It's extraordinary decoration was designed by the two important English Pre-Raphaelite artists Sir Edward Burne-Jones (!) and William Morris (!) as well as by George Breck.
TIP: The services are in English since St. Paul's Within the Walls is a member of the European Convocation of American Episcopal Churches of the Anglican Communion.
Santa Maria delle Concezione - once the church of the Capuchin monks. Located at the foot of the via Veneto, near the piazza Barberini. The story goes that when they ran out of space in the cellar to bury further monks, somebody decided they would decorate the tiny chapel with the bones of predecessors. Absolutely fascinating.
Don't miss these eerie burial chapels! Apparently the capuchin monks patented this odd type of mummification process, not unlike the egyptians. You'll see mini monks, dressed in their habits, some propped up against the wall, others still lying down. But they're all dead, so it's real neat. All crazy too. Get there.
or in Italian Chiesa dei Santi Angeli Custodi , its a nice small church by the via Tritone, housing the angel in custody. It is off a nice busy street tuck in a small square. the colors and chapels were very nice and many do stop over here, even if less known of the great churches of Rome.
We were pleasantly glad to have entered and see it.
a bit of history
The Church of the Holy Angels was a Basilica Church in Rome, in the rione Trevi, via del Tritone. Was reduced in size between 1928 and 1929 for the widening of via del Tritone and the construction of the tunnel under the Quirinale. It was consecrated during the pontificate of Urban VIII in 1624 and entrusted to the Archconfraternity of guardian angels, who owned it until 1905, when it was entrusted to the care of the Congregation of the priests of the sacred heart of Jesus of bethelem.
The Interior was elliptical; the high altar, completed in 1681 by Carlo Rainaldi, inclosed a painting depicting the guardian angel by Giacinto Brandi. The sides there were two altars, one dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua, depicted in a precious Roman canvas by Luca Giordano. the other dedicated to the Virgin Mary, with a canvas by Carlo Maratta depicting the Virgin Mary giving the Rosary to St. Dominic. A plaque reminded that internal to the confraternity of guardian angels also belonged to Pope Clement XI, who endowed the Church with rich ornaments. Finally it seems that the Church also contains a painting of Catherine Gymnasiums, painter of the 17th century.
Nice church facade at Via del Corso, 437, 00186 Roma
a fraternity of Ambrose and Charles founded in 1471 AD. It is of barocco style, inside you will see a Latin cross of huge proportions (72meters by 54 meters)), a vast nave, with ambulatory and crypt, dome of 72 meters high. the chapel with cupola and an prayer area with painting of Tommaso Della Porta. In this basilica it is preserved a precious relic of the body of Saint Carlo Borromeo, given by Cardinal Federico Borromeo in 1614.
in a sea of grandeouse churches this one seems simple but pretty to walk by and even go inside. It is at a popular street for shopping in Rome, via del corso.
This one is a fantastic building, at Piazza dei Santi Apostoli, 51, 00187 Roma
it has a beautiful patio plus great frescoes and sculptures on the walls. we were delighted to find this airy space full of beautiful paintings and deco.
Once inside we found out, this order was born in October 2008 !!! on the initiative of Cardinal Archbishop Dionigi Tettamanzi, who combines in one pastoral unit the three parishes of s. Eufemia,S. Maria al Paradiso and SS. Apostles and Nazaro.
The new pastoral proposal of the Diocese focuses "Saints" community in the parishes of St. Euphemia, Santa Maria al Paradiso e s. Calimero, Santi Apostoli e Nazaro Maggiore ,and to have an opportunity to make the church more faithful to the Gospel. Invites priests and laity to discern together, in the logic of genuine co-responsibility. It is headed by the parish priest with 5 priests and a deacon. In this connection, Archbishop Dionigi Tettamanzi urges us to find new roads, to try with creativity and courage unprecedented initiatives, to cross the life and experience of those who live in our neighborhood and giving them the joy of the Gospel.
Very unique initiative in an old old city.
a strange church basilica right in the middle of ruins, it struck me from afar in the fiori imperiali and went inside. It was a pleasant surprise to see , very nice, and great frescoes.
a bit of historical description
The basilica was built on the remains of the temple of Romulus probably erected on the foundations of the temple of Jupiter Stator by the Emperor Maxentius to the glory and memory of his son Romulus, who died in 309. In 527, the Ostrogoth Theodoric the great King and his daughter Amalasuntha gives the library of peace of the forum of peace (Bibliotheca Pacis) and a portion of the Temple of Romulus to Pope Félix IV, who built a Basilica dedicated to the Greek martyrs Cosmas and Damian.
In the 9th century the body of Marc and Marcellin were transported and were rediscovered only in 1583.In 1512, the Basilica is allocated to the third order regular of St. Francis that the still manages today. In 1632, Pope Urban VIII ordered the restructuring of the building on Orazio Torriani and under the direction of Luigi Arrigucci plans: the floor of the Basilica is elevated 7 meters due to water infiltration, a cloister is created.
In 1947, during the restoration of the Imperial forums, the entrance to the Basilica by the temple of Romulus, which is totally restored on its original plans for the occasion, is deleted and moved on via dei Fori Imperiali.The Church houses since the 8th century the cardinal title of Santi Cosma e Damiano.
a nice shades place full of history to visit while in Rome.
Up the hill coming from circus massimo along the river tiber on aventino we climb a hilly street that gave direction to this church, we went around it and had superb views of Roma in addition to a wonderful basilica.
here is some more of it
Founded by Pietro, priest from Illiria, between 422 and 432, on an antique "Titulus Sabinae" probably raised in the house of a Sabina matron that then ended up identifying itself with the saint with the same name from Umbria. In 824 the "Schola Cantorum" was added up, by the hand of Pope Eugenio II. In 1222 Pope Onorio III gave it to San Domenico for his Ordine and on that occasion the bell-tower and the nice cloister were built. Other restoration phases followed up, until the internal transformation by the hand of Domenico Fontana in 1587. During the two years of the world wars one proceded with the total recovery of the church, to the extent that it actually represents the most perfect type of Christian basilica from C.V. The façade, preceded by the atrium, consist of arcades supported by four antique marble columns fluted into spirals and four granite ones, which hold slabs’ fragments, sarcophagi from the Imperial age and ruins of antique barriers. The middel portal of the church, which has a nice Classical marble frame, is closed by precious wings made of cypress wood, reproducing scenes from the Antico and the Nuovo Testamento in relief. The interior, basilical, bright, wide and solemn, is divided up by three naves by twenty four corinthian fluted columns. From the original decoration dated C. V one only finds a big mosaic strip with an inscription with nice golden letters on a light blue background, which bears the names of Pietro di Illiria and the Pope of that time, Celestino I. It is the only church that had the priviledge to own a baptismal spring.
a nice park of savello is nearby and in very nice area, worth climbing after all.
This seems from the outside looks like a simple church, not inspired to go in, but once you are in, it is wonderful with the preserve body of the saint.
Piazza di San Francesco D'Assisi, 88 00153 Roma
we walk from santa maria in trasteverde over to this one on foot coming from over the river tiber on foot too, once been drop by the metro piramide.
Church is open every day except when service from 7h to 13h and 14h to 19h30
A bit of history found on the site
In this place St. Francis of Assisi lived during his visits to the Holy Father, when the Church greeted the Little Poor Man in its arms. In this place sits the "room" where Francis retired, among the lepers, where it was the Benedictine Hospice of San Biagio. In this place, Francis strengthened over time friendship with the roman noblewoman Iacopa de 'Settesoli, the spiritual friend who was closest during the last days of his earthly life. In this place, the Order of Friars Minor of St. Francis has experienced decisive moments of its history in Rome and throughout the world. In this place, the people of the district of Trastevere has always found friendship and comfort. In this place, in 1906, St. Pius X founded the Parish of San Francesco a Ripa Grande. In this place, in 2011 the Roman Province of the Minor Friars has decided to follow the experience of St. Francis in the spirit of the place, initiating an experience of sharing with brothers and sisters homeless. In this place, the Friars preserve the Provincial Library, with a collection of books among the oldest and most important of Rome, and a library specializing in Franciscan. In this place, finally, there are works of artistic importance as the sculptures made by Fra Diego da Careri, the Blessed Ludovica Albertoni made by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, the altarpiece made by Francesco Salviati, and a wealth of art among the most important about the Baroque Rome. In this place, dear visitor, the Friars, who live here today, are happy to invite you and greet you with the words of St. Francis: “The Lord give you peace”.
indeed you feel peace once inside, very nice place. A must.
a wonderful church up the stairs from piazza di spagna and just before tackling the villa borghese gardnes/park.
The Church of Trinità dei Monti, after St. Peter's Basilica, it is from appearing above the staircase that leads into the square of Spain,one of the most sought after photos in Rome.
The Church and the adjoining convent were built at the behest of s. Francesco di Paola to give a home to the fledgling Order , the Church was finished in 1519 and the convent in 1550, the current façade and the expansion of the Church were built in 1584 by Giacomo della Porta and just three years after it was created by Domenico Fontana the access stairway to the Church.
The Interior has a single nave with seven chapels on each side, two thirds of the nave stands a cancelled, the chapels are a triumph of murals that span a variety of styles and epochs. right chapels:in the first (1573) frescoes on St. John the Baptist by g. b. Naldini (1580);in the third, the chapel of the assumption (1548), frescoes by Daniele da Volterra e Michele Greeks;the fourth chapel of the sepulchre (1537), view frescoes of the 16th century work of the Nogari, the altarpiece that replaces the original Blade (always of the Nogari) is the work of l. v. Pallière (1817), flanked by the gravestones of the Orsini, to whom is dedicated the chapel are the work of l. Sormani (1567 and 1575);la quinta, the chapel of the Nativity (1534), completely frescoed by anonymous artist depicting the Nativity, the adoration of the Magi (left) circumcision and in time the prophets;The sixth, of Ascension (1517), frescoes by perugino's school.Left chapels:The first, cappella della Pietà (1574 in April 2011 and currently being restored) with frescoes by Nebbia and sculptures by Achtermann (19th century);immediately after there is the chapel of the deposition (1551) with frescoes by Daniele da Volterra pupil Prince of Michelangelo;The third, the chapel of Magdalene (1532), was originally decorated with frescoes by g. Romano and g. f. Penni established disciples of Raphael, then Perin del Vaga was instructed to end the cycle of frescoes by witnesses seemed to arouse deep admiration among his contemporaries, unfortunately the collapse of time occurred in the 19th century, compromised mostly of works of art, parts of these works are currently on exhibit at the National Gallery and the Victoria Albert museum of London &the altarpiece is by an unknown artist, which replaces the much more famous pala Noli me Tangere currently at the Prado in Madrid. (16th century)close the left side the chapel of the Virgin (1523) frescoed by Perin del Vaga.The presbytery is raised, in the Center the altar dominated by a Colonnade decorated.
the area and the church are a must while in Rome. Another of the French influence churches in Rome. You can reach it by metro: line A, stop or fermata Spagna. Bus: lines 117, 119
Do go inside this Basilica and admire its rich treasures - the rich ceiling is by Flaminio Boulanger and Vico di Raffaele, and the marble pavement is of Cosmatesque design.
This is the quaint Domine Quo Vadis chapel on the Old Appian Way, just outside the city. Inside there is a replica of a stone in which Christ is said to have left his footprint.
San Stefano Rotondo I found the most interesting church in Rome. A little bit out of the traditional sites but it worth the visit.