Know about this? Rate It!
Isola Tiberina & San Bartolomeo all'Isola
A tiny island in the Tiber River, Isola Tiberina, is wedged between Trastevere and the Ghetto part of Rome. The island has been inhabited since ancient times and contained the Temple of Aesculapius. The 10th church of San Bartolomeo all'Isola was built on the ruins of this temple. Connecting the Ghetto with the island is Rome's oldest bridge that is still in use, Ponte Fabricio. It was built in 62 BC and is now only a footbridge.
- Historical Travel
well discovered by the locals but not quit by the tourist hords, this very prominent spot has some significant traits: little traffic noise, sunbathing opportunity midst in the city...
I speak of the river level around the island, most visitors would miss the small steps leading down to the river bank, they would just pass the hospital from one side of the river to the other.
it's the only island in the Tevere in Rome, you can't miss it.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Rome Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Fiesta Island Hotels
- Long Island City Hotels
- Minorca Island
- Allisonville Hotels
- Bushkill Hotels
- Munich Off The Beaten Path
- Rome Off The Beaten Path
- Destin Off The Beaten Path
- South Dakota Off The Beaten Path
- Kansas City Off The Beaten Path
- Florence Off The Beaten Path
- Pisa Off The Beaten Path
- Madrid Off The Beaten Path
- Pennsylvania Off The Beaten Path
- Trondheim Off The Beaten Path
- Arkansas Off The Beaten Path