Ditirambo, Rome

Piazza della Cancelleria 74-75 39 06 687 1626

Ditirambo
    by Lacristina
  • Chick pea soup with reduction of balsamic
    Chick pea soup with reduction of...
    by Lacristina
  • Tonarelli caccio e pepe, bread pasta with pesto
    Tonarelli caccio e pepe, bread pasta...
  • Lacristina's Profile Photo

Ditirambo: Roman Cuisine Expertly Prepared

by Lacristina Updated Apr 4, 2011

Ditirambo

Everything wonderful said about Ditirambo is deserved. The food is delicious, both traditional and inventive, and reasonably priced. The bill for six people, two courses each (none of meat or fish, however), house wine, mineral water, and two shared desserts, came to 130 euros.

A side note…I was dining with two Latin teachers who explained to me that Ditirambo comes from the Latin word for a kind of meter used in Latin poetry, associated with Bacchus.

Very appropriate! This is food of almost sinful pleasure!

I ordered "tonarelli (thick home made pasta noodle) caccio e pepe" (a goat cheese and pepper sauce.) This simple dish was wonderful (see the second photo). Friends ordered other primi (first courses) including "bread pasta with pesto.". My dinner companion loved both the pesto sauce and the pasta, but I was less enthusiastic. But perhaps the most interesting and most delicious of all was the chick pea soup with a reduction of balsamic vinegar (see the third photo.) This was a spectacular success.

Next, I ordered the eggplant Calabrian style, an unusual and most delicious treatment of eggplant. My friends were equally enthusiastic about their choices. The simple green mixed salad and the fennel salad were very fresh and perfectly prepared.

For dessert, do not miss the tiramisu with pears poached in wine! I shared mine with the others at the table. Once the spoon was in their mouth, a small shiver of ecstasy clouded their eyes.

A huge thank you to all the other folks whose reviews led me to Ditirambo. It is everything they said it would be.

Favorite Dish: Chickpea soup, eggplant Calabrian style and the tiramisu.

• gasca's Profile Photo

Ditirambo: Rustic charm and affordable price

by gasca Updated Nov 5, 2005

It was quite difficult to find it, but it was worth it. It was recommended on some guides and we just wanted to try, although average price was above our budget.

We ate a big salad, a delicious pasta (not simply macaroni or spaghetti) for 20 euros each person.

Favorite Dish: I tried "Bread pasta with pesto sauce", mmm delicious..

• Ditirambo: When eating in Rome, follow the priests

by jparrai Written May 1, 2004

The restaurant is small, only like twenty tables or perhaps less. We found it when looking for something, anything to eat. It was early, so most tables were empty. We asked for one and they doubted a bit and conferred, before finally finding us one. We laughed, because the restaurant seemed empty enough. As said, it was early. It filled completely up in like one hour, and was filled since. Most had reservations. One big nearby table was reserved for a group of Catholic priests, probably Welsh or something alike. I liked that, I mean, it stands to reason that the priests, being part from a community installed in the city since well, almost forever, have the best tips available.

It turned out so. The food was perfect, the service attentive and the prices reasonable. Roman food, a bit more imaginative than most. Rations were a bit on the small side, but I like that when visiting.

A couple of days later I returned there for a card, and the owner (I think he was the owner) even remembered me! That's a proof for me of attention to detail, and concentration in your bussiness.

Instant Answers: Rome

Comments

Hotels Near Ditirambo
4.0 out of 5 stars