Gelato, Rome

by brendareed
    Goodies In The Window
    by RoscoeGregg
  • The
    The "review" from Downies 5-star Guide...
    by icunme
  • brendareed's Profile Photo

Gelato: try the gelato

by brendareed Written Jun 1, 2014

Since I’ve been in Europe, I’ve never seen so many people devour ice cream or gelato! And I really do enjoy how Italians display their gelato for sale; it is so beautiful piled high with fruit or drizzled chocolate. Even though we were in Rome in the winter, Hubby still had to try out the gelato – I think he feels it is his personal quest to sample all gelato in Europe while we are here (in addition to the beer and bakeries, of course) – well, one must have a hobby of some sort!

So my tip for gelato is: try it!

We had a good laugh on our hotel shuttle bus after a long day in Rome. There was a father and young daughter regaling us with their escapades; apparently dad remembered “the best gelato” in all of Rome from a previous visit. He just couldn’t remember exactly where it was (but had the general area). So the pair spent the better part of an afternoon going up and down the streets in search of this gelato shop – they never found it, but they did sample some other places along the way which, in the daughter’s opinion, were excellent. My hubby isn’t as particular – if it is cold and served on a cone, he is happy!

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo

Giolliti's: A Classic With Excellent People Watching

by RoscoeGregg Updated Jan 7, 2012

Here is Your Sign

This clearly one of the most written about gelato spots in Rome. It is in very busy part of the old city. This leads to my twist on this Roman classic.

Walk your feet off and then sit down like a king and treat yourself to a very nice gelato and some of the worlds finest people watching.

I know, I know it costs more but it is worth it. The service is excellent and the setting super fine. More than buying at the counter but cheaper than a cafe on Piazza San Marco.

Just do it.

Favorite Dish: Gelato! of course.

• icunme's Profile Photo

FIOR DI LUNA: ICE CREAM EXTREME CHALLENGE

by icunme Updated Mar 13, 2010

Sara dishing out the ice dreams

Latest comment from VT'r RoscoeGregg:
    "Taking a little time from planting cabbage to say thanks. Your tips were so helpful on our trip to Rome. Fior Di Luna was just OUTSTANDING. We went 3 times one day. I wish you could have seen my friend Barb’s eyes pop when she tasted the clementine gelato"

It took me 2 years in this country to find the ultimate ice cream - ice DREAM to be sure!! I consider myself fortunate as it took this family 10 years to develop the recipies they use at FIOR DI LUNA - research the ingredients - and bring these ICE DREAM flavors to us!!

The clue to the flavors you will experience here lies in not only in the fresh fruits but also where they manage to get these ingredients. In their back kitchen you will see daily deliveries of fresh fruits used to make the fruit based flavors - then take a look at where they acquire their licorice and their chocolate -- you will understand what diligence they have applied to make arguably the BEST gelato to be found.

In addition to the favorite fresh fruit flavors such as, peach, cocconut, lemon, bananna and strawberry - you well may find mellon, liqorice and an extraordinary fig gelato.

To further qualify my choice, a recent feature from Amazon's 5-star rated book THE TERRIOR GUIDE - FOOD WINE ROME by David Downie is attached by photos here and details the difference between the gelato produced at Fior di Luna and every other gelato shop in Rome! Take a look - let me know if you visit and taste the difference. I have found no other (including Giolitti) that can compare!
    An excerpt from Downie's book states: "The ingredients are simple: pure, organic cocoa, and pure, unrefined cane sugar, and that’s it. There’s no added butter or fat. The result is grainy, almost granular, bittersweet, and with a vaguely medicinal yet marvelous flavor. Using these ingredients, Fior di Luna makes five different chocolates, two milk chocolates, and one white chocolate. The chocolates and ice creams with vanilla beans are wildly good: “friends” of the shop bring in the beans fresh – not dried - direct from Mauritius.
    Fior di Luna uses exclusively organic milk from the Agro Romano district south of the city. The hazelnuts that go into that flavor are of the Tonda Gentile variety from the Langhe in Piedmont, the pistachios are of the Smeraldo variety and come from Bronte, in Sicily. The plump pine nuts are from the Parco Migliarino San Rossore abutting Pisa. All the nuts used here are bought raw and toasted for Fior di Luna by a small, specialized firm based in northern Italy. No semi-processed nut pastes are used. As the owners go out of their way to explain, they don’t make Roman or Italian but rather Mediterranean ice creams, meaning they use no eggs, except in the crema flavor, and no dairy products in the fruit flavors, which contain only fresh fruit, water, and raw cane sugar. Happily, the results are not only ethical, organic, and well-intentioned – they’re delicious."

Ask for one of the family - Mama Italia, Aldo, Fabio, Francesco -- and tell them you found them on VT!!

Take a look at their website and you'll have an idea of the difference between this endeavor and other gelato shops.

Favorite Dish: Fig gelato - dark chocolate - liquoric - vanilla

• Turska's Profile Photo

Gelateria nuova vite: If you ask us-this had best icecream!

by Turska Updated Oct 13, 2008

Italian icecream is good-if you ask where it is best,you will have hundreds of answers.We thought it was best here.It had some stickers of travel agencys and some contest,where red"best ice cream 2005""best ice cream 2006" and so o and so on,so we weren´t the only ones to love it.

Favorite Dish: Coconut and pineapple-they had real coconut-flakes in coconut-icecream and so on.

• JoelArias's Profile Photo

Il Gelato Di San Crispino: The best Gelato (Ice Cream) in Rome!!!

by JoelArias Written Sep 21, 2008

Best ice cream in Rome. I tried the “cream al whisky” and was very impressed. I heard it was made with aged high end malt. I also enjoyed the Miel (Honey) and Nocciola (Hazelnut). If you are near the fountain of Trevi or Piazza de Espagna then please take a visit, you will not be disappointed. There also a few other locations around Rome, so please check there weboste for directions.

Favorite Dish: I enojyed the:

1. Whisky
    2. Honey
    3. Nocciola

• rita_simoes's Profile Photo

Gelateria Old Bridge: Best gelato in Rome... and possibly in Italy!

by rita_simoes Written May 15, 2008

I've been to several gelaterie now, in Rome and in other places in Italy, and this one is the best by far! Amazingly enough, it's also the cheapest and the one who serves bigger quantities.

There are usually a lot of people waiting in line, and it's such a torture to see people coming out with ENORMOUS yummy icecreams in their hands while you wait :(

My favourite taste of all is yoghurt - perfect combination with fruit flavours such as strawberry and pineapple... The chocolate, pistaccio and caramel are also divine... I just keep coming back for more! (the last time i was in Rome, I went there almost everyday)

• Paisleypaul's Profile Photo

Caffe Parana: ice cream panini pastries tea coffee beer

by Paisleypaul Written Jun 2, 2007

Caffe Parana

Just outside of Termini, across the square filled with cabs on your left hand side on.

Pleasant friendly relaxed...and airy on a hot day in the capital with several sets of double doors open

Favorite Dish: Great gelateria and pasticceria, it's a view-and-point counter rather than a menu!

• Trains

• londonlover's Profile Photo

Gelateria della Palma: My favorite gelato...ever!

by londonlover Updated Mar 17, 2007

I've had gelato all over America, including Boston's Little Italy, and then in several different cities in Italy. This is my favorite! Best flavor, best selection (over 100 flavors), and best texture. I heard this reviewed as a bit of a tourist trap, but I honestly thought it was better than some of the much smaller operations around the country.

Favorite Dish: Their "Mousse" variety, whipped gelato, was my favorite. You could always get a four-scoop and try four different varieties. ;)

• sinoda's Profile Photo

gelateria alla Scala: fresh fruits

by sinoda Written Jun 16, 2006

gelateria alla scala, Rome, Italy

ok, I admit I am favouring here the gelateria of our piazza, but honestly the ice cream is one of if not THE best in town.

I got to know the father and son run firm back in February when I moved to Rome and was overwhelmed by the kindness and sheer joy they serve their clients and furthermore as I gradually got to know them better and was allowed to shoot a reportage about their business and in particular how they manufacture (in the back of the shop) the deliciuos ice cream - they do not use any conservation agents nor any colours to enhance the visual side.

Favorite Dish: My favourite clearly is either a combination of cinnamon/vanille or cinnamon/pistachio ice cream, but they produce tasty frappés (milk shakes) as well, the house speciality is cinnamon/pear - clearly a must.

Instant Answers: Rome

• May 18, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I have read many things on what place has the best gelato and honesty after just returning from Rome and having gelato nearly every day for a week, they pretty much all taste the same. As far as San Crispino being supposedly the best, I have no idea since I was never able to find it even after looking for it for over an hour. Fodors guidebook says it is a bit hard to find. I would say it is nearly impossible to find unless you really know where to look.

• goodfish's Profile Photo
      May 18, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I've had San Crispino and it was yummy. The storefront is small and unassuming so yes, you have to really look for it. Been meaning to write a review on that one.... :O)

• leics's Profile Photo
      May 19, 2013 at 12:40 AM

I don't even bother to look for 'the best' (a matter of opinion anyway). I just have my roughly 2-hourly gelato fix from wherever looks reasonable and it's all been delicious. Mind you, it *is* worth seeking out 'Vivoli' in Florence for their 'fantasia' flavour...I've not seen that anywhere else. :-)

Hotels Near Gelato