Il Chianti, Rome

Piazza Fontana di Trevi 81 / 82a

Bill & Alex at Vineria il Chianti
    by sue_stone
  • Alison perhaps had a little too much wine....
    Alison perhaps had a little too much...
    by sue_stone
    Don't anyone try and steal my Wild Boar!
    by sue_stone
  • IL CHIANTI: Warning example about bad service in Rome, Italy.

by kytosaho Written Jul 23, 2007

This is merely where NOT to eat in Rome.

My wife and I travel mostly across Europe - I travel also globally due to nature of my work. Just visited Rome in our summer holiday July 2007. I HAVE NEVER FACED SO ARROGANT BEHAVIOUR IN ANY OTHER RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD.

We went to restaurant "IL CHIANTI" very near to the fountain of Trevi with plenty of seats outside. We ordered first 20 euro beefs in the menu with a bottle of house red wine. In the plates there were one beef with few slices of potato. I found out my beef was totally red inside, merely raw, even though ordered medium. I CAN TOLERATE THIS.

My wife strongly dislikes connective tissues and ligaments in beef, thus we always order merely expensive beefs. Everywhere in the world so far, the 20 euro beef has been tasty and enjoyable. This time my wife could not eat her beef because the beef was full of connective tissues and ligaments. Her appetite was gone. I am not so sensitive about the ligaments, so I started eating. Eventually I found also that my beef had also plenty of connective tissues and I could not finish the beef. I CAN TOLERATE THIS.
    Quality of service is really tested in case of customer reclamation.
    How personnel response to a customer complaint, tells you all about the culture of the place. I CAN NOT TOLERATE ARROGANT BEHAVIOUR by the 'manager' repeating "not my problem". In this case we were forced to pay the total price.

Near one of Roma's most popular resort, fountain TREVI, it seems you do not need to bother work to keep regular customers. That's why one can get cocky and arrogant against customer feedback.

Favorite Dish: Never give it an other chance.

• Twinsurf's Profile Photo

Il Chianti: Nectar of the Gods

by Twinsurf Written Aug 16, 2006

Chianti bottle

Location Location Location! This wine bar/restaurant has done a great job at securing a very hot spot while not selling out and becoming too touristy. The Trevi Fountain is just around the corner and you can sit outside and watch Romans & Tourist go about their business, while sampling a wide array of medium priced wines, mostly from Tuscany. The food is also surprisingly adequate in price as well as taste, servings are large and the staff friendly. They serve lunch daily from 12.30 to 15.30. Inside may get a bit crowded around dinnertime, so I recommend reservations and asking for a table by the windows.

Favorite Dish: The pasta dishes we tried were excellent. Above all an all time favourite Pappardelle alla Lepre ... It's a very special kind of fresh pasta with a rabbit sauce. I know Rabbit is not for everybody 'cos they are so cute and intelligent animals. No they are not ... they are stupid and delicious :)

• Wine Tasting

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Vineria il Chianti: Delicious Roman Fare

by sue_stone Written Nov 7, 2004

Bill & Alex at Vineria il Chianti

Thanks to a tip that I read on VT before our latest trip to Rome, we popped to Vineria il Chianti one evening and had a fabulous night.

We were lucky enough to get a seat out the front in a small courtyard, and settled back to enjoy a glass or 3 of some delicious Italian wines and one of the best meals of our trip

There is an extensive wine list and also a fabulous food menu.

Service was friendly and efficent, and a great night was had by all - I highly recommend this place!

Favorite Dish: I had the most delicious Roast Lamb and potato dish - Y.U.M, others had a Wild Boar dish that was equally tasty.

• Wine Tasting
    • Trains

• Vineria Il Chianti: Excellent place right next to Fontana di Trevi

by makaio Updated Apr 24, 2004

The "Vineria Il Chianti" is an excellent place for those who look for a very good yet affordable meal close to one of the main attractions.

We went there with a group of seven students. The menu offers the standard dishes (pizza, pasta, meats), with a couple of interesting variants. Our pizzas and pasta dishes were just excellent, and a friend was VERY envious of the steak served at the table next to us.

Their specialty is Tuscan cuisine. The wine card offers a huge selection of wines in all price ranges (unfortunately I cannot give a qualified judgement about the quality). For us (due to our budget) the house wine did just fine (€ 9/bottle).

The restaurant probably has about 100 seats with a very comfortable and "local" ambience. The whole place is decorated with shelves with wine bottles, the excellent english-speaking staff is very polite.

Every single one of us more than just enjoyed his/her meal, it was just excellent and among the best we ate during our stay.

[The price given is for the more affordable variant. Of course one can easily reach other categories.]

Instant Answers: Rome

Comments

Hotels Near Il Chianti
4.0 out of 5 stars