L'Archetto, Rome

Via dell'Archetto 26, 00187 Roma 39 06 67.89.064

• brendareed's Profile Photo

L'Archetto Spaghetteria: so many choices

by brendareed Written Jun 1, 2014

This was our first trip to Rome and while there Hubby and I would be celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary. So we wanted to a nice place to eat for our special day. We aren’t the types to dress up fancy (heels just don’t work on the streets of Rome!), but we wanted a place that we could be assured of a good meal, rather than take our chances. And that is where VT came in handy! Tips by those who’ve been there – done that made our decision easy.

VTer goodfish was so helpful in the months before our trip – patiently answering my questions about the many churches. So I asked her where she recommended for this special day and she said L’Archetto, a place that she and her husband had been to before and were planning to return to during an upcoming trip.

We took her advice and headed to L’Archetto for lunch on our anniversary. It wasn’t difficult to find, despite being on a back street. It was a beautiful day and all the outside seats were full, but we were given a table inside and downstairs, which seemed to be where all the locals ate. A nice out of the way table – perfect!

The menu was full of good things (and had several languages printed on it). The choices of spaghetti were overwhelming. We usually try to get two different things and sample each others. We wound up selecting something very similar – pasta with sausage, but with a different sauce (mine was tomato based while Hubby’s was a white sauce). Both were fantastic! Some drinks and bread, conversation, and planning out the rest of our day made for a wonderfully, memorable lunch on our special day. And the prices were very reasonable, with our meal coming in under €25 for everything.

I would definitely recommend L’Archetto to others. So glad that VT was here and goodfish was willing to share her experiences!

UPDATE: In December 2013 I returned to L'Archetto with my daughter and her friend. Once again, the experience was great and the food fantastic! Highly recommend!

• gwened's Profile Photo

L'Archetto: spagheteria archetto

by gwened Written Aug 25, 2013

again no special resa just walking around and hungry near trevi decided to stop here as it was off the main road, and very quaint. We took the terrace out on the street against the wall.

the service was nice and fast, the pizzas were bland and the pasta nothing to shout about. wife got a bit sick off the mushrooms pasta dish. We eat pasta and pizzas a lot back home and know when we find a good one, this one is not.

The place been near touristic Trevi fountain gets full quickly, the service is fast, and the dishes well presented.

Favorite Dish: we had the pizzas and the pasta mushrooms dishes down with beers heineken ,but nothing to shout about been in Rome, had much better elsewhere.

front of L'Archetto spagheteria e pizzeria the terrrace along the front wall where we ate the via archetto to the restaurant on right

• goodfish's Profile Photo

Spaghetteria L'Archetto di Fontana di Trevi: Spaghetti of the 100 Sauces

by goodfish Updated Aug 22, 2012

I'd read many good reviews about L'Archetto and they turned out to be spot on: we had a good meal here in 2007 and again in 2012. The specialty is spaghetti. Just spaghetti. With nearly 100 different sauces to choose from. The menu was in English (yes, I KNOW that's supposed to scream 'tourist trap!' but this is an exception) and prices are very reasonable for the amount and quality: no skimpy portions (by Italian standards) here although I've seen some reviews disagree with that.

Our pasta both times was al dente with just enough sauce to coat the noodles versus drown in it. Two entrees, an appetizer and a couple half carafes of wine came to the bargain price (for Rome) of between about 30-40 euro +service charge (15%). Prices will vary depending on what type of pasta you order: seafood will run a bit higher. The waitstaff is friendly but service may be slow/spotty when they're very busy - which is a lot of the time. As of this 2012 update it's still seeing good overall reviews for value and quality, and they've added pizza to the menu since our first visit.

You may choose from indoor or outdoor seating. On our first visit we were able to snag a table on the street (YAY!) but had to settle for one of the dining rooms on visit #2 as we landed in at a later hour. Table space is tight so expect to enjoy your 'neighbors' - which we did! Visit #1 also had its interesting moments as a 'street' in Italy can be the width of a Fiat so the occasional motorscooter or tiny little car went flying by within inches of our noodles.

They aren't posting current hours on their website but they're open for lunch and dinner, and may not be closed on Mondays anymore. Do make sure you have cash on you as their ability (or willingness) to take credit cards varies.

Favorite Dish: Pick your favorite sauce and it'll be good.

• Seniors

• L Archetto: DONT GO!

by thatsright Written Jul 26, 2012

ABSOLUTELY -Without a doubt, the worst restaurant in Rome. Horrible service. Three of my friends came to visit from California. I decided to take them to this restaurant and it was the WORST!
    The waiter was extremely rude-many times and he tried to charge us 20 euros more! When I asked for an official receipt (they tried to give me a friggin' post it as a receipt) the waiter got pissed off. Then when I told his boss about his rude behavior, he just came next to me and started arguing and acting like a 12 year old.

HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE. Avoid it like the PLAGUE!

Favorite Dish: All they serve here is pasta....s

• L'Archetto di Fontana di Trevi: The best Pasta and Pizza in Rome by far

by fmclean122 Written Jan 16, 2010

This restaurant is a few blocks behind the Trevi fountain and away from the hustle and bustle. If having you pint knocked over by tour groups isn't you thing this place is perfect. Both inside and outside are lovely. The food is great though limited menu (pasta mostly). The real show stopper here though is the price which is a welcome break from Rome's traditional 50 euro tourist centers. Oh and the takeaway pizza was a smash too!

Favorite Dish: The creamy spagetti cant remember the name.

• Turska's Profile Photo

Spaghetteria L´Archetto: If you love pasta-go here!

by Turska Updated Oct 13, 2008

I had a Michelin guide-book,witch I was reading one day,when we were resting at our flat.It told about pasta-restaurant,were pastas are big and tasty,and there are tens of different sauces.We love pasta,and were surpriced to find out,that this was about 200m from our flat!We went there around 20 o´clock(8 p.m. to Americans) and got a table.After half an hour,there was 14 people waiting for a table.And no wonder!They had very good pastas-lots of different and they were big enough to eat as maincourse.Even though Italians are told to not eat pasta as maincourse,there was also local people eating in many tables.Maybe times change!We had again housewine(white),and it was good again,as allways in Italy.

Favorite Dish: At the other night I had sahetti with cheese-sauce and ham and peas,at another night I had(again..) aglio e olio.My husband had some spicy hot meat-sauce at another night,and pesto another.Wine was good,as I told,and even if we were in Italy-I had best Creme catalana outside Barcelona!It was SOOO good also.And my husband had some tart,and liked it also.
    When we came another time,the owner said"Thanks for coming back!"Even if they had all trophys inside,he was still noticing us.We had gone many times,if we had found it earlier.

• L'archetto: leave this off your list

by simosully Written Jul 7, 2008

Located in a damp dank busy alley way. Restraunt was full mostly with tourists. No reservations are taken and when you wait in line for a table you will be bumped if a native Itailain arrives looking to eat here. Food while Italian in style lacks imagination.

Favorite Dish: Best dish the ice cream as they obiously dont make it themselves.

• Popi Popi: Popi Popi -Fantastic Local Italian Dining in Rome

by JOG1151 Written Aug 9, 2006

Somewhat off the beaten path, but DEFINITELY worth the taxi ride!!! We found this restaurant by mistake, we were actually looking for another restaurant which I had read about on this website. When we couldn't locate the restaurant, the taxi driver told us that Popi Popi was very good...what a great great tip! The place was packed with all locals, almost everyone there was speaking Italian. The tables outside were all full since it was starting to cool off for the evening, so unfortunately we had to sit inside the restaurant. It wasn't too bad since the waiter was nice enough to seat us under a ceiling fan. Definitely the best meal I had in Rome!

Favorite Dish: We shared a Ravioli dish for our appetizer, the gravy (sauce) was absolutely delicious. For my main dish, I had the Beef Carpaccio over fresh Arrugula with shaved parmasean cheese...I drizzled olive oil over it, the taste was amazing!!!! For dessert I had the best creme brulee I had ever tasted. All our food was so fresh, and so flavorful...I would absolutely recommend Popi Popi to anyone visiting Rome.

• surferob's Profile Photo

L'Archetto: The Locals seemed to approve

by surferob Updated Mar 20, 2005

We passed this place while strolling the backstreets one night and found it packed with what appeared to be mostly Italians. It's only a couple blocks from the Trevi Fountain and shared its name with the street that it was on, so we made a mental note and planned to return. We came back the next night and had a wonderful, late meal. Closed the place down in fact, which is something of an achievement considering how late Italians tend to eat. The pizza and pasta were fantastic, and my girlfriend simply wouldn't shut up about how the Pasta Arrabiata was the best she's EVER had.

She can't believe she ate the whole thing.

• nicolettart's Profile Photo

L'Archetto: Pazzo for Pasta

by nicolettart Written Jun 8, 2003

This restaurant has the biggest selection of pasta dishes that I have ever seen. I tried the Quattro Stagioni with four cheeses, and it was good, not great. I would definitely give it a second chance, maybe I ordered the wrong thing? There were so many choices, you need to invest serious time in reading the menu.

• vysnaite's Profile Photo

L'Archetto: Spaghetteria - Pizzeria L'Archetto - good pasta

by vysnaite Updated Feb 11, 2003

I would have never found this restaurant, but I was lucky to have a local there so I happened to find myself in this place.

It's quite a nice one. I liked the interior, lovely (like the in the pic). Food is good (I was told it's not the best place for pizza, but for pasta it's one of the good ones), just the service sometimes is a little bit lousy. Yet, quite a nice place. I know they have also tables out in summer.

Favorite Dish: Spaghetti al limone - was interesting and great, I loved it.

The dessert - let's say so-so, but not so bad :)

They have a big varaiety of pasta, another thing I liked there was the names of meals, quite funny.

• paulapes's Profile Photo

d'Archetto Pizzeria: Linguini con Frutti di Mare

by paulapes Updated Sep 1, 2002

d'Archetto Pizzeria...near the Trevi Fountain. This is me outside after a meal one night. We ate there twice and had no complaints.
    It's a fun, busy, comfortable place for a meal. Try to go downstairs to sit...it's more interesting.

Favorite Dish: Everything we had was great....I can't recommend any one thing.

Me...outside the restaurant