La Canonica, Rome

by moviegal226
    by moviegal226
    by FloraAna
  • moviegal226's Profile Photo

La Canonica: Overpriced, Tourist Rip Off!

by moviegal226 Written Apr 13, 2015

This restaurant is so bad that it caused a HUGE fight between my husband and me on our trip to Rome last week. We were SO MAD at each other for selecting this place that it caused a divorce-worthy fight. Yep, that is just how awful this place is. All of the fantastic places to dine in Rome...and we chose to waste our time, money, and tummy room on this ***ty excuse for Italian food!

We decided to walk across the river to the appealing Trastevere neighborhood along with a zillion other tourists. That should've tipped me off right then and there. Once we got to the neighborhood, we examined lots of the restaurants and their menus. Most were outrageously expensive or didn't have homemade pasta. I really wanted some homemade pasta that wasn't going to cost me 50 Euros a plate. When we walked by La Canonica, the outside tables were packed full with what appeared to be locals (no guidebooks in site), and the appealing exterior and reasonably priced menu lured us in.

Oh how I wish I had taken the time to check Trip Advisor and Yelp before sitting down! The food here is HORRIBLE. Disgusting even. I do NOT use those words lightly and I am not big on giving low-star reviews, but this is one of the worst excuses for a restaurant I have ever seen.

First, the service was horrible and super rushed. Everyone knows that dining in Italy is a relaxed affair, usually taking a couple of hours. This meal was so fast-paced that it was ridiculous. Obviously the food was being microwaved (hell, you could even SEE the kitchen's microwave from the dining area)! The server was brusque and was basically flinging the food at us, even attempting to finish our sentences as we placed our order!

We both ordered from the "local specialties" section of the menu. We ordered the roasted potatoes, Spaghetti All'Amatriciana, meatballs and saltimbocca. We were assured REPEATEDLY that the pasta was "fatta en casa," or made in house. MY ASS this pasta was fresh! It tasted HORRIBLE and was obviously boxed pasta. I am 100% certain this was not made in-house fresh pasta. I ate lots of pasta in Italy and I know what fresh pasta tastes like. Big chunks of gross, fatty bacon rounded out the pasta course.

Next up was the 'main course.' The Saltimbocca was supposedly chicken but it was like a tough piece of pork. This thing was so rubbery you probably could've bounced it off the ground. No exaggeration. My meatballs took the cake -- they were single-handedly one of the worst things I have ever been served in a restaurant in my entire life (the reviewer calling them airplane food is an insult to airplane food). They had this unappealing light gray color. I couldn't eat them and ended up just leaving them on my plate (this did not concern anyone as nobody asked me if I liked my dinner or seemed worried that my food was left untouched). The roasted potatoes were the saving grace, they were pretty tasty. We had a bottle of Chianti which was fine and an appetizer that must've been truly awful because I have blocked it from my memory and can't remember what it was we ordered!

The bread and cover charge meant service was included so no need to tip. The bread basket had the usual bland Italian-style bread and prepackaged (!!) crispy cracker-like breadsticks. At least the breadsticks were good.

To add insult to injury, our bill was close to $100 U.S. FOR UTTER CRAP FOOD! Just writing this review makes my blood boil. I hated that my husband and I got into a fight over this (we were just both SO ANGRY at ourselves for eating here). I am not exaggerating in this review, this place is HORRIBLE! Please, for the love of God, do NOT waste your time or money here. I hated, hated, HATED this place. STAY FAR AWAY!

• FloraAna's Profile Photo

Ia Canonica: Dont miss olives stuffed with meat in owen

by FloraAna Written Sep 19, 2007

IL Canonica is i nice place in Trestevere on the left bank of tho Rome. You will find the plice hidden 15 m in a street which is on the same side as the churh of S. MAria in Trestevere. IT has reasonable prices and some very good food.

Favorite Dish: Carpaccio(it is actaully breasola with parmiggiano - but very good); Olives stuffed with meat and rasted in oven.

• Paisleypaul's Profile Photo

La Canonica: hit ...and Miss

by Paisleypaul Written May 3, 2007

It happens, doesn't it ? That place that stood out head and shoulders on your holiday, you go back and it's not a patch ?

We visited 2005 and 2006 and that was our experience. The family service was replaced by a - harassed and overworked I'm sure - functional but less than warm waiting staff.

Has it changed hands ? Hopefully we just went on a bad night, rather than a bad year - hope this is not now the norm.

Prices refer to our August 2005 bill ; rating an average of the 2 visits !

Favorite Dish: 2 pane e grissini (cover) Eu 3.20

Totale Eu 61.90

La Canonica
    • Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Rome

Comments

Hotels Near La Canonica
4.5 out of 5 stars