San Marco Pizzeria, Rome

by goodfish
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Pizzeria San Marco: Pizza in Prati

by goodfish Updated Feb 6, 2014

2014 update: Reviews have become mixed on this one; I'm reading that service/quality can be inconsistent although there are still enough positive votes out there to keep this awhile longer. Will keep an eye on them and remove my reco here if need be. Don't confuse this with the Pizzeria San Marco at Via Sardegna, 38.

I'd seen some good reviews of San Marco and it was close to our hotel so we gave it a go. Glad we did! It was a really nice place with warm, comfortable ambiance, helpful waitstaff and terrific wood-fired, thin-crusted pizza. I think I've read that it's been around for 50 years so no flash in the pan. It was a beautiful evening so we chose a table outside and, as the restaurant is on a side street, were a little removed from the traffic on busy Via Cola di Rienzo.

As I mentioned in my Italy tips, it's customary to order a whole pizza per person unless sharing as an appetizer. No problem; many Italian pizzas tend to be thinner and less overloaded than American versions. If traveling with companions, it also allows you to sample more than one type. When we told our waiter we'd be doing that very thing, he cheerfully offered to bring our orders pre-halved. Nice! As is also the custom in Italy, your pizza will likely be served uncut - as it was here.

A couple nice glasses of wine and we were happy campers. They also serve appetizers, salads, calzones and main dishes. Great place - check it out if in the Prati/Vatican area.

Favorite Dish: Pizza. We had a 4-cheese (quattro formaggi) and I can't remember the other kind but they were both yummy.

Instant Answers: Rome

Comments

Hotels Near San Marco Pizzeria
4.5 out of 5 stars